ATTN: USA glider pilots and SSA members

Old September 12th 03, 02:08 AM
Pete Brown

Default ATTN: USA glider pilots and SSA members

In the current online classified ads of SOARING, I note that
two attorneys from Seattle are apparently trolling for
dirt from soaring fans in the US regarding "uncommanded
releases" from tow aircraft equipped with Schweizer
tow hooks.

Probably no single industry in the United States has been
harmed more by frivolous tort claims promoted by trial
lawyers than the U.S civil aviation industry. In the United
States, probably no company has done more to aid our sport
and make it affordable than the Schweizer Aircraft Company
and the Schweizer family.

Further, I can think of no sport where each individual
participant must more consciously analyze and accept the
risks of participation in each flight and take the steps
necessary to mitigate the risk associated with each flight.

I would strongly encourage all US pilots and friends of
aviation to hang up on these attorneys should they contact
you and I find it disgraceful that the official publication
of the Soaring Society of America would publish such an ad.

Pete Brown
Alaska Mountain Soaring
Anchorage, Alaska

http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old September 12th 03, 03:22 AM
BTIZ

1) I hope SSA is making a lot of money from the "paid advertising"
2) I've had more problems with uncommanded releases from that European tow
hook (is it really a hook?) than from ages old simple Schweizer products..

3) and who is to say that any "uncommanded release" is because (a) an
incorrect/incomplete hook-up (b) a release that does not have the AD
complied with (2) a weak spring that was not "properly" checked on the last
annual

BT

Old September 12th 03, 03:26 AM
Stewart Kissel

Would it be safe to assume that this may be related to some sort of accid=
ent in the Seattle area that involved a premature release from the towpla=
ne or glider? Any of our pilots from the Great Northwest able to add ins=
ight to this?

Old September 12th 03, 11:20 AM
Vaughn

"BTIZ" wrote in message
news3a8b.52454$cj1.459@fed1read06...
1) I hope SSA is making a lot of money from the "paid advertising"

Do not blame the messenger:

1) I am not sure that they could legally refuse the ad.

2) The person on the phone/computer accepting the ads at headquarters
is unlikely to be a lawyer.

Old September 12th 03, 01:36 PM
Scott Correa

Good heads up.....

Something to remember is that in order to have a suit, you need an injured
class....
We should hang any fellow pilot by the nipples if they join in this
silliness. (I would have
said Balls, but this is a PC group) If nobody is aggrieved, no suit can
proceed.

Secondly, premature release is an event the FAA acknowleges happens
periodically
in the normal operation of sailplanes. If it didn't, we wouldn't train for
it. Since the feds
have us train on it, it would appear to be a "normal potential outcome" of
towing and
somewhat immune from suit.

There is a third alternative......... Get a soaring friendly attorney to
sue "S" pro-bono
for accidental releases, ask for a class with a $1000 award. Donate it to
the NSM.