Front Electric Sustainer

Old April 16th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

Default Front Electric Sustainer

I see that the webpage now has pictures of the latest design, with a
bigger prop, and a more streamlined attachment to the spinner. Also a
video of it running at Aero.

After the flight tests this summer, it will be interesting to get
information about its real world climb rate and range.

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com

Old April 17th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Apr 16, 3:55*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
I see that the webpage now has pictures of the latest design, with a
bigger prop, and a more streamlined attachment to the spinner. *Also a
video of it running at Aero.

After the flight tests this summer, it will be interesting to get
information about its real world climb rate and range.

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com

Very tempting! Only downside is the incompatibility with all of those
nose-hook-equipped gliders out there. :-P

--Noel
(who's DG-300 has a CG hook - yay! But unfortunately also a pitot
system in the nose - boo...)

Old April 17th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 16, 4:35*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:55*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

I see that the webpage now has pictures of the latest design, with a
bigger prop, and a more streamlined attachment to the spinner. *Also a
video of it running at Aero.

After the flight tests this summer, it will be interesting to get
information about its real world climb rate and range.

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com

Very tempting! *Only downside is the incompatibility with all of those
nose-hook-equipped gliders out there. :-P

--Noel
(who's DG-300 has a CG hook - yay! *But unfortunately also a pitot
system in the nose - boo...)

Their answer for pitot is easy, you move it to use the tail. Any
certification issues introduced will need to be handled. Do you know
for sure that this requires replacing all "forward" tow hooks. In the
case of the DG-300 forward tow hook us really under your knees. For
real nose tow hooks it may be an issue, including those gliders with a
CG hook but the flight manual does not allow aerotowing with the CG
hook, yes I know like that will stop everybody.

And for a DG-300 it is very irrelevant since the full solarium canopy
is going to prevent the install of a FES anyhow. I wonder how many
gliders really have room to do this install. I'm around 5'9" and I
can't see how there will be space in the nose cone area of most
Schleicher gliders, even if you could get rid of the canopy lift
mechanism (convert to a side hinge). So does that leave the market
with side hinged gliders with large nose cones and/or very short
pilots where the gliders, and then there is the catch that more
recently made gliders are going to have the EASA prohibition on
aerotowing with the cg hook?

While some of the text on their web site sounds like they are talking
about retrofit kits I wonder if this is really a viable business,
given it's going to have certification issues in many markets. And
there is likely a lot of work doing modification kits and
certification etc for each model (and I know Bob they all start with a
Sawzall). I wonder how much you need to select for the higher value
gliders who's owners are willing to spend $$$ on their toys. It will
be interesting to see how/if this gets to market. Still an interesting
idea.

Darryl
Old April 17th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 16, 5:19*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

And I realize the LAK 17 does have a front-hinged canopy -- but never
looked in the nosecone area, so how do they fit this in?

Darryl
Old April 17th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nine Bravo Ground

[...]

Couldn't you hole the motor in your lap?

;-)

Old April 17th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

On 4/16/2010 5:19 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

I wonder how many
gliders really have room to do this install. I'm around 5'9" and I
can't see how there will be space in the nose cone area of most
Schleicher gliders, even if you could get rid of the canopy lift
mechanism (convert to a side hinge).

The RES webpage says the motor has a diameter of 7" and a length of 3".
That is pretty small.

So does that leave the market
with side hinged gliders with large nose cones and/or very short
pilots where the gliders, and then there is the catch that more
recently made gliders are going to have the EASA prohibition on
aerotowing with the cg hook?

Probably the EASA would be satisfied with an under-knee hook like on the
ASW-27.

Darryl

Old April 17th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 16, 6:08*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 4/16/2010 5:19 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

I wonder how many
gliders really have room to do this install. I'm around 5'9" and I
can't see how there will be space in the nose cone area of most
Schleicher gliders, even if you could get rid of the canopy lift
mechanism (convert to a side hinge).

The RES webpage says the motor has a diameter of 7" and a length of 3".
* That is pretty small.

So does that leave the market
with side hinged gliders with large nose cones and/or very short
pilots where the gliders, and then there is the catch that more
recently made gliders are going to have the EASA prohibition on
aerotowing with the cg hook?

Probably the EASA would be satisfied with an under-knee hook like on the
ASW-27.

Darryl

Duh 3" long, wow. I think I had misread that as 180mm x 180mm, add in
space for other stuff and I was wondering how that fits in front of
the pedals.

Darryl

Old April 17th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

It does look like a very elegant system.

I just thought of one other benefit of the system..... If your tow release
fails, you may be able to cut it with the propeller... : ) or perhaps you
would reel-in the rope and catch up with the towplane. If the towpilot then
releases at just the right moment you could slingshot up another couple
hundred feet! ... OK, my mind is wandering in strange directions this
morning...

Paul Remde

Old April 17th 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Apr 17, 7:44*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking a bungee/sustainer launch would be fun. Use the bungee to
get the initial altitude, and then fire up the sustainer...

Pete