Spare TE Probe Storage

Old April 19th 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Spare TE Probe Storage

I have a spare TE prove (ESA-Systems type UN triple probe) that I
want to store safely in the trailer. Where it won't get damaged. Has
anybody found the ideal container or way to store these? I want to
keep it safe from physical damage, dust and tiny insects etc. This is
not the probe I routinely fly with, that just lives in the cockpit
when the glider is in its trailer. This is a spare part. Why I think
it is necessary to carry a spare probe in the trailer is not a story
I'm going to get into :-(

Darryl
Old April 19th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 19, 2:50*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I have a spare TE prove (ESA-Systems type UN triple probe) *that I
want to store safely in the trailer. Where it won't get damaged. Has
anybody found the ideal container or way to store these? *I want to
keep it safe from physical damage, dust and tiny insects etc. This is
not the probe I routinely fly with, that just lives in the cockpit
when the glider is in its trailer. This is a spare part. Why I think
it is necessary to carry a spare probe in the trailer is not a story
I'm going to get into :-(

Darryl

Store it on the inside of the rear trailer top (where wing tips
are often stowed). Hold it with a couple of nylon spring clips
bonded to the trailer. No container necessary.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old April 19th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

On Apr 19, 7:50*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I have a spare TE prove (ESA-Systems type UN triple probe) *that I
want to store safely in the trailer. Where it won't get damaged. Has
anybody found the ideal container or way to store these? *I want to
keep it safe from physical damage, dust and tiny insects etc. This is
not the probe I routinely fly with, that just lives in the cockpit
when the glider is in its trailer. This is a spare part. Why I think
it is necessary to carry a spare probe in the trailer is not a story
I'm going to get into :-(

Darryl

I kept mine in a plastic bag taped to the sidewall of the Trailertop
in the front.

Bruno
Old April 19th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 19, 1:42*pm, Mottley wrote:
I kept mine in a plastic bag taped to the sidewall of the Trailertop
in the front.

Bruno

Much too low-tech.
Doesn't even provide an excuse for visiting the hardware store.
See ya, Dave
Old April 19th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 18, 11:50*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I have a spare TE prove (ESA-Systems type UN triple probe) *that I
want to store safely in the trailer. Where it won't get damaged. Has
anybody found the ideal container or way to store these? *I want to
keep it safe from physical damage, dust and tiny insects etc. This is
not the probe I routinely fly with, that just lives in the cockpit
when the glider is in its trailer. This is a spare part. Why I think
it is necessary to carry a spare probe in the trailer is not a story
I'm going to get into :-(

Darryl

Put a socket in the fin of the trailer in the same place as on the
glider. Prevent insect and dirt ingestion using caps with "remove
before flight" streamers. Put an owl on top of the trailer fin to
discourage birds from perching on the probe.

If you think that would attract too much attention just poke the ends
into short lengths of vinyl tubing and pop rivet the tubing in a
convenient place inside the trailer lid.

Andy
Old April 20th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I simple piece of PVC Pipe hung from the trailer ceiling works great!
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5042 (20100419) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5042 (20100419) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old April 20th 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Darryl Ramm wrote:
I have a spare TE prove (ESA-Systems type UN triple probe) that I
want to store safely in the trailer. Where it won't get damaged. Has
anybody found the ideal container or way to store these? I want to
keep it safe from physical damage, dust and tiny insects etc. This is
not the probe I routinely fly with, that just lives in the cockpit
when the glider is in its trailer. This is a spare part. Why I think
it is necessary to carry a spare probe in the trailer is not a story
I'm going to get into :-(

Shucks, I carry a spare probe in the trailer, and I don't even use a
probe! I have the ports covered with plastic wrap and twist ties (rubber
bands don't last), and the probe is held onto the inside ledge of the
trailer top (the part that goes against the sidewall of the trailer bottom.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Old April 20th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

I think that the PVC pipe by Tim is a good idea. Cheap! PVC comes in
all the diameters and lengths you can imagine. I would think that 3"
would do. Smaller is better. Seal one end with a plain cap. Seal
the other end with a "clean out" (http://www.bow-group.com/pages/
produits.aspx?LANG=EN&cat=58&pro=184) that has a screw top. You
probably don't even need to glue the parts together.

Then buy some metal U shaped hangers (typically in the electrical
conduit area http://www.drillspot.com/products/45...uit_Hanger?s=1)
to hang your new PVC container somewhere in the trailer. Finally, put
a towel inside so the probe doesn't rattle around and get damaged.

This requires a trip to the hardware store!!! Yoo-hoo. Remember my
motto - "Every new project deserves a new tool". ;-)

Now, Darryl, why is it that you need the spare probe? ;-)

Old April 21st 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

conduit areahttp://www.drillspot.com/products/45140/Steel_City_6H3_B_Conduit_Hang...)
to hang your new PVC container somewhere in the trailer. *Finally, put
a towel inside so the probe doesn't rattle around and get damaged.

This requires a trip to the hardware store!!! * Yoo-hoo. *Remember my
motto - "Every new project deserves a new tool". *;-)

Now, Darryl, why is it that you need the spare probe? *;-)

We need spare probes because some willing and helpful Crews do crack
them standing up after fitting or taking off the Tail Dolly!!

Bruno

Old April 22nd 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Mottley wrote:

This requires a trip to the hardware store!!! Yoo-hoo. Remember my
motto - "Every new project deserves a new tool". ;-)

Now, Darryl, why is it that you need the spare probe? ;-)

We need spare probes because some willing and helpful Crews do crack
them standing up after fitting or taking off the Tail Dolly!!

Bruno

And because some pilots put the glider in the trailer and close the top
before removing the probe!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)