Question re towplane airworthiness (USA)

Old April 20th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Question re towplane airworthiness (USA)

On Apr 19, 8:57*pm, "BT" wrote:

I still do not think that a "Restricted" certificate is required to conduct
glider tow operations with an aircraft operating under a "standard"
airworthy certificate in the "Normal or Utility" category.

Agree.

Andy

Old April 20th 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 19, 9:25*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Brian wrote:
I think you are going about this the wrong way.

The rules are restrictive not permissive, In other words the FARs tell
you what you can't do, not what you can. //snip/

Brian

Interesting sentiment. I've heard this said of other systems of rule-making:
1) Anything not expressly permitted, is prohibited.
Versus
2) Anything not expressly prohibited, is permitted.

I always thought that system 2) was more permissive, in some way.
And this is the FAR way, I think you are saying.
I never thought of the FARs as being permissive though. :-)

Brian W

1 is the German way. Let's not go there.
2 is the US way, which suits us fine, though we are still further
constrained by the underwriters, the IRS, and local issues.
Old April 20th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Brian wrote:
I think you are going about this the wrong way.
The rules are restrictive not permissive, In other words the FARs tell
you what you can't do, not what you can. //snip/
Brian

Interesting sentiment. I've heard this said of other systems of rule-making:
1) Anything not expressly permitted, is prohibited.
Versus
2) Anything not expressly prohibited, is permitted.

I always thought that system 2) was more permissive, in some way.
And this is the FAR way, I think you are saying.
I never thought of the FARs as being permissive though. :-)

Brian W

1 is the German way. Let's not go there.
2 is the US way, which suits us fine, though we are still further
constrained by the underwriters, the IRS, and local issues.

"What Brian C. (not Brian W.) and Frank W. said."

General Aviation -including soaring, of course -in the U.S. is close
enough as it is to being on life support without practitioners within it
jabbing needles willy-nilly into its twitching corpus for (really and
truly, to me) incomprehensible reasons.

Bob - shaking head sadly - W.

FAA Inspection for New Airworthiness PS Soaring 8 July 8th 09 03:27 PM
Experimental Airworthiness PS Soaring 13 July 1st 09 03:54 PM
TBO and airworthiness Jim Stewart Owning 26 April 17th 07 05:05 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Exhibition/Racing Airworthiness Certificate Question bsquared Soaring 5 June 22nd 04 06:24 PM