Spot 2

Old April 20th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

Default Spot 2

Anyone flying with the new Spot 2?

There are 2 color options, the traditional orange/black and a new
silver/black. Have problems with reflections on the canopy with
either of these been an issue and is one preferable to the other?

Thanks!
Old April 20th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Apr 19, 6:59*pm, Whiskey Delta wrote:
Anyone flying with the new Spot 2?

There are 2 color options, the traditional orange/black and a new
silver/black. *Have problems with reflections on the canopy with
either of these been an issue and is one preferable to the other?

Thanks!

i haven't noticed anything with orange but will pay attention today
when we fly.
Old April 20th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Skip

On Apr 20, 8:35*am, Tony wrote:
On Apr 19, 6:59*pm, Whiskey Delta wrote:

Anyone flying with the new Spot 2?

There are 2 color options, the traditional orange/black and a new
silver/black. *Have problems with reflections on the canopy with
either of these been an issue and is one preferable to the other?

Thanks!

i haven't noticed anything with orange but will pay attention today
when we fly.

I never had an issue w/canopy reflection using the orange w/SPOT1
fastened to my parachute chest strap over the past two seasons.

Optic orange sounds preferable for visibilty/ID in case of separation
of SPOT from pilot.

Neither SPOT1 or SPOT2 have secure attachment points so as to be
retained on parachute or person after bailout. I found a zippered
shoulder pocket on my coldweather parka (a) retained the SPOT1
securely; and (b) received all the signal I needed for tracking and
sending my Check/OK "I have landed" message.

Any advice on summer wear w/zippered pockets or other better ideas
would be appreciated.

Skip
ASW-24 JS
Old April 21st 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The old pouch which Wings And Wheels sold for the EBC100 series
Personal ELT works for the SPOT 1. Perhaps Tim still has some.
Cut an opening near the bottom to access the buttons. Shorten the
velcro strap on the back (was also necessary for the EBC).
My parachute rigger added a nice webbing loop as a hard point for
devices like this, on the left riser cover of a couple of Mini
Softies.
If the parachute is deployed, that cover opens yet stays attached, as
one side is just velcro. It will not interfere with parachute
deployment.
The position ends up near to the suggested horizontal attitude for
SPOT. Using the left side keeps the unit away from the typical boom
microphone.
Keeping the device on you is a good idea, and there's no problem
with reflections in the canopy.
Jim
Old April 21st 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I noticed no reflections yesterday.

My SPOT 2 is oriented more or less vertically when I fly the Cherokee
as it has more or less vertical seating. Still got good reception and
it worked in tracking mode.

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
SPOT GPS jeplane Soaring 17 February 5th 08 05:23 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 01:04 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Home Built 0 February 5th 08 12:39 AM