Does anyone get any spam emails in this news group?

Old May 5th 04, 02:16 PM
Peter

Default Does anyone get any spam emails in this news group?

Does anyone else get any spam emails from a porn site?

It shows a pictures saying FREE LIVE TEENS, ENTER HERE.

Its connected to a subdomain of site.voila.fr

I don't know how they have got my email address, becuase I don't use it for
anything else but posting here!

But I do know it is VERY annoying! I get over 40 e-mails from them a day.
Its a pain in the back side as one would say!

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter

Old May 5th 04, 03:16 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter wrote:

Any feedback would be appreciated

I used to get lots of spam on my Comcast account. I attribute much of that to the
fact that I had an "email me" HTML button on my web site, since most of it started
when I put that site up.

If someone using your computer actually visited a porn site, that can also cause
this, 'cause they can pull your email address from your preferences. Usually you
would get mail from multiple senders if this happens, since they sell your name. My
stepson may be partially responsible for some of the stuff I used to get on the
Comcast account. He actually trashed my wife's laptop when he picked up a "trojan
horse" on one of those sites, and that was embarrasing enough that I think he doesn't
visit sites like that anymore.

One thing to check is the "To" line in the spam. If it's actually your email address,
they've picked it up in some fashion like that. If, on the other hand, it's *not*
your address, they're using a mailing list, which they probably bought somewhere or
obtained through a virus on someone else's machine.

If you want to continue using that address, the only solution I know is to use
filters to block it. If you don't mind changing names, perhaps you can set up a new
user name with your ISP.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 5th 04, 10:52 PM
gerrcoin

Peter wrote:
Does anyone else get any spam emails from a porn site?

It shows a pictures saying FREE LIVE TEENS, ENTER HERE.

Its connected to a subdomain of site.voila.fr

I don't know how they have got my email address, becuase I don't use it for
anything else but posting here!

But I do know it is VERY annoying! I get over 40 e-mails from them a day.
Its a pain in the back side as one would say!

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter

A lot of people who are relatively new to Usenet nievely use their
complete email address as a reply address. Spammers use bots
(automated software) to trawl Usenet groups for these email addresses
and add them to a mailing list. You may have noticed that most people
who have been posting for a while use malformed versions of their
email address with what's known as a spam trap part.

Notice my reply address. You would need to remove the "no_spam_thanks"
bit to reply. Actually, I don't even use this address anymore because
I used it for an online newsletter subscription and started recieving
30 to 40 bits of rubbish per day. Anyone who wants to talk to me need
only post here. The spam trap is a must have in these groups, but now
that your address is out there you may need to get some spam filtering
software.

good luck

Old May 5th 04, 11:47 PM
Mike Beede

In article , gerrcoin wrote:

A lot of people who are relatively new to Usenet nievely use their
complete email address as a reply address. Spammers use bots
(automated software) to trawl Usenet groups for these email addresses
and add them to a mailing list. You may have noticed that most people
who have been posting for a while use malformed versions of their
email address with what's known as a spam trap part.

Of course, a lot of other people have good enough spam filtering that they
just use their real email address. If you wish to do that, you should contact
your ISP and get them to perform whatever filtering they can first (possibly
using a service like Postini), and then get a mail reader that allows you to
mark spam for automatic recognition.

People that are really paranoid do that *and* use a bogus reply address.

Mike Beede
Old May 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Greg Copeland

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:16:07 +0000, Peter wrote:

Does anyone else get any spam emails from a porn site?

It shows a pictures saying FREE LIVE TEENS, ENTER HERE.

Its connected to a subdomain of site.voila.fr

I don't know how they have got my email address, becuase I don't use it for
anything else but posting here!

But I do know it is VERY annoying! I get over 40 e-mails from them a day.
Its a pain in the back side as one would say!

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter

If you're getting spam, chances are it will only get worse. Often these
guys share lists with each other. Which means, spam counts tend to go up
rather than down. Because of the many, many security issues with
Microsoft software, it's fairly easy for spamers to validate that the
email address is valid and being recieved by a human. You do need to act
and act now.

If at all possible, I suggest that you save your self some hassle and
change your email address. If you are not able to change your address,
then go ahead and start looking into spam filtering software. Chances
are, you're going to need it. Here's some fairly good stuff yet it may
not be straight forward for you to install it.
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ You will need to "train" the software so
that it knows what is good email (ham) versus bad email (spam). Another
option would be to invest time into migrating from outlook express to a
better mail client. Mozilla's (as in Netscape) mail client (Thunderbird
0.6) is also an excellent option. It has built in anti-spam features and
is fairly easy to use and/or train. You can find it he
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...dSetup-0.6.exe

Long story short, don't use your real email address when posting to news
groups. I highly recommend you create a throw away email address on one
of the many free mail sites (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) and use some
dirivation of that address when posting. Just FYI, Yahoo has some of the
best anti-spam software around for free email, so, even if that address
does get spammed, much of it will be treated accordingly. This enables
you to still make use of the throw away address until it becomes too
bogged down with spam.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Old May 6th 04, 04:35 AM
David Johnson

I get no spam (from this group)because my email address
is ancient and obsolete. I have tried to update it, but
have thus far failed. Am not trying too hard, though.
Old May 6th 04, 06:53 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Beede" wrote in message

People that are really paranoid do that *and* use a bogus reply address.

I use a fake address when I email my wife at work.

Old May 6th 04, 08:05 AM
Peter

The thing is, it isn't from a specific sender, they are automatic generated
emails from made up accounts that don't exist. They are spoofing the smtp
details so that they can't be traced which is also a pain in the backside!
hehe

Old May 6th 04, 03:27 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter wrote:

The thing is, it isn't from a specific sender, they are automatic generated
emails from made up accounts that don't exist. They are spoofing the smtp
details so that they can't be traced which is also a pain in the backside!

That's normal for spammers. I've used Netscape to set up filters on my account that
filter out any mail which does not have "grpphoto" on the "To" line. That eliminates
most of it right there, since these guys tend to use mailing lists. I also have a few
filters that block anything with certain words in the title. You can also filter out
messages based on the presence or absence of words in any other part of a piece of
mail. I have them all moved to the trash folder automatically. There I can scan the
sender list (a few legitimate parties also use mailing lists, and I want to read
their stuff). I can then delete the entire mess by emptying the trash.

Verizon also allows me to do this at the server level, but I don't like that as well.

Basically, what you need to find is a key word or phrase that will allow you to
identify a given message as trash. Then you can set up a filter to block it.

Old May 8th 04, 06:11 AM
VideoGuy

"Peter" wrote in message
Does anyone else get any spam emails from a porn site?

It shows a pictures saying FREE LIVE TEENS, ENTER HERE.

Its connected to a subdomain of site.voila.fr

I don't know how they have got my email address, becuase I don't use it

for
anything else but posting here!

But I do know it is VERY annoying! I get over 40 e-mails from them a day.
Its a pain in the back side as one would say!

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter

I was receiving so much spam, I almost gave up using email. Somedays I'd
get five or more copies of the same "terrific offer" from five different
phony addresses. I brought this on by faithfully replying to the spammers
asking they remove my name from their list. Little did I know that was a
horrible mistake.

Then my sone told me about a free spam filter called Popfile. (
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/ ) It only took a short while to set it up.
(I did have help from my son who was already using it, but it seems pretty
straight-forward.)

Once you set up the filter, it takes a few hundred emails to learn what you
are wanting to accept and what you think is trash. In my case it was less
than a week, and I had captured more than 200 spams.

As of today, my results from POPfile are thus: in almost 7100 emails there
have been only 77 classification errors or almost 99% accuracy. Pretty darn
good for a free utility. The real beauty of this is that it does not
automatically delete anything. It just classifies your emails according to
parameters you establish, and then everything else is spam. A quick review
of the spam folder- nearly always correct- and everything hits the deleted
folder, and then on to spam Hell. If "good" emails are sent to the spam
folder, you can always recover them and relocate them to the proper folder.

As an example, for some reason emails from my wife were always classified as
spam. After the third one, I just setup a 'magnet' with her email address as
the criteria, and now everything she sends lands in the proper folder.

Previously I was spending more than 30 minutes a day trying to figure out a
technique to classify all the spams I get a day. Now, It takes less than
five minutes!

Gary Kasten