Trailer Covers-will that eliminate condensation inside ?

Old January 26th 19, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer Covers-will that eliminate condensation inside ?

I saw a Trailer cover offered. Seems to cover quite nicely a standard Cobra trailer. Color is white.
I wonder if this a solution to reduce or eliminate formation of condensation inside the trailer walls, especially metal ones.
I would assume that since the top and side walls are somewhat insulated they will cool down slow enough at night so that dew will not form on them.
What do you guys think ?
Dan
Old January 26th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

We have no clue......where are you?
What works in one geographic area may be poor in another.

So......where are you?!?!
Moon or Mars, you are likely OK.....on earth, may be good, may suck......
Old January 27th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 2:11:59 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
We have no clue......where are you?
What works in one geographic area may be poor in another.

So......where are you?!?!
Moon or Mars, you are likely OK.....on earth, may be good, may suck......

I am located in Northeast of USA
Old January 27th 19, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Condensation may happen as a result of one of these two causes:

* the trailer is full of warm humid air (from a hazy humid summer day in the NE US) and then cools off at night to below the dewpoint of that air. A cover won't help with that at all.

* on a not-humid summer night in the NE US, the air in the trailer may not quite cool down to its dewpoint, but under a clear sky the trailer roof (especially if metal) cools further by radiation, causing condensation both above (not an issue) and below (inside the trailer). A cover may help with this - but only if it is thick enough to have a significant insulating effect.
Old January 27th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 11:04:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Condensation may happen as a result of one of these two causes:

* the trailer is full of warm humid air (from a hazy humid summer day in the NE US) and then cools off at night to below the dewpoint of that air. A cover won't help with that at all.

* on a not-humid summer night in the NE US, the air in the trailer may not quite cool down to its dewpoint, but under a clear sky the trailer roof (especially if metal) cools further by radiation, causing condensation both above (not an issue) and below (inside the trailer). A cover may help with this - but only if it is thick enough to have a significant insulating effect.

I have an Avionic trailer. With the factory solar fan, air is exchanged, cooler (drier) air enters before dark and condensation is not a problem.
Old January 27th 19, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I thought those trailer covers were more to protect trailer GRP surface finish against UV and water degradation than to prevent internal condensation.
Old January 27th 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 07:10:38 -0800, jpg797 wrote:

I thought those trailer covers were more to protect trailer GRP surface
finish against UV and water degradation than to prevent internal
condensation.

Several years ago a clubmate had similar condensation problems with a
metal-skinned box trailer (I think this is what's called a 'tube trailer'
in the US).

He lined it with 3mm (1/8") white polystyrene foam sheet[*] held in place
with contact glue and said it fixed his condensation problems, though
IIRC he didn't enjoy applying the glue in the confined space inside the
trailer. I'd think the same solution should work for a Cobra and, because
you're pretty much in free air with the top up, the contact adhesive
fumes should be much less problematic.
[*] in the UK this is used as an interior wall liner.
It comes in 500mm x 10m (5 sq.m, 53 sq.ft) rolls at around $5 a roll.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org