A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schweizer 1-26 question

Old November 27th 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

The 1-26 is a simple easy to fly glider. A few pilots have gotten their diamond badges in one. It is a select group as you have to be a "GREAT"pilot to do that. It doesnt take great pilot to get all the badges in a super glass ship. It is my favorite glider having earned the Silver badge in one many years ago. So if you want to fly an easy but challenging glider fly the 1-26.
Old November 27th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

, while grounded I've been spending an inordinate amount of time searching the web for pictures and videos on gliders. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks that a 1-26 with just the right paint job is an absolutely beautiful looking little sailplane? I keep thinking that maybe I'd like to have one of those things! What do you guys think? Can a guy have fun with a simple sailplane like the 1-26 or do you have to buy glass to really enjoy the sport?

Hi Brian, I purchased a 1-26 as my first glider so I could cut my leash to the airport. We were not allow to use gliport gliders for cross country. I had a great time attempting silver distance in my 1-26E... I ended up selling it only due to financial problems which eventually prevented me from being able to fly it. It was a great glider to fly, easy to set up, easy to transport, and easy to land in very small spaces.

The downside is if it is a blue sky day, with a breeze, forget about it! Any serious wind, unless you are planning a down winder, or working a ridge .... no way.

But, if you chose your conditions carefully it was a lot of fun.

I've been considering buying another just to get me through 200 hours due to the challenge and safety factor (very slow stall speed and metal construction), and then maybe something in glass. I have not decided yet but I have time, I'm still saving.

Old November 27th 17, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:06:03 AM UTC-8, flgliderpilot wrote:

I've been considering buying another just to get me through 200 hours due to the challenge and safety factor (very slow stall speed and metal construction), and then maybe something in glass. I have not decided yet but I have time, I'm still saving.

Don't let not having 200 hours in metal keep you from buy glass. I learned to fly gliders in a G-103, rented a fixed wheel G102 for maybe another ten hours then purchased glass, ASW-24. I thought standard class was a great way to learn and to learn XC. Got my badges in that std class glider, even an unofficial 1000k and most of my first 500 hours in gliders.
Old November 28th 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

A 1-34 is a pretty nice “flatter” 1-26! Fun plane to fly.... terminal velocity air brakes!
Old November 28th 17, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_2_]
external usenet poster

The 1-26 is good for your mental health. No more obsessing about badges and records. No more heartbreak about a scratch on the fuselage from a landout on a stubbly field. In fact, no more heartbreaks, period. If you are a born competitor, the 1-26 contests are just as intense as any high-rent glass can provide. It's all about flying, and the 1-26 loves to fly. It will outclimb a lot of expensive ships, and if it won't go as fast, so what? What's your hurry? If you need speed, what are you doing in a glider?
Old November 28th 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I guess I'll go against the grain, here. The 1-26 is, indeed, easy to fly, easy to tiedown outside, competitive within the 1-26 class, and safe (though, like most gliders, it will spin), etc. It's less expense and holds its value well. And you won't sweat a few minor scratches and even dents.

It's also easy to land off the airport, which is great because that's what you'll be doing frequently if you start flying cross country in it. You do learn a lot. But it can be a frustrating learning curve. It's also not as quick to rig/derig as more modern glass sailplanes often are so those unscheduled landings can be a little more work.

In a higher-performance glider, miss a thermal and you're slow. In a 1-26, miss a thermal and you're likely on the ground. Yes, the really good 1-26 pilots know how to make the glider do some remarkable things. But the average pilot can get discouraged after repeated landings, off and on the airport..

I flew and competed in a 1-26 for some years after solo and I did learn a lot that transferred over to higher-performance gliders. But unlike some pilots (1-26 maestro Ron Schwartz comes to mind) I was never tempted to fly it again after I made the switch.

There used to be 1-26 classes even at local contests (and there probably still are). But the big one of the year is the 1-26 national contest, which--like the other classes--rotates around the country. So unlike the FAI classes, there aren't a series of regional championships that are potentially closer to home in those years when the national contest is on the other side of the country. That's relevant only if you think you might be interested in competition.

The 1-26 is a nice first step. And for many it's an ideal glider. But like everything else in life, it's not perfect.

Chip Bearden
Old December 18th 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Gee this is almost a trolling question ... but I will take it seriously -- yes, you can have a lot of fun in a 1-26. How much fun you will have depends on your attitude ... and also where you soar.

They are NOT a good sailplane anywhere the winds are strong; you sure don't go upwind well in a 1-26, nor penetrate through sink. This means that some of the "best" soaring areas in the American Southwest are actually pretty scary in a 1-26. They are well suited to areas where the conditions are milder -- they climb well in weak lift.

There's a common 1-26 joke that goes "Flying a 1-26 is great, you meet so many nice new farming friends! " 1-26s do land off-field very well.

Another inexpensive glider to consider is the Ka-6 ... better performance than a 1-26 -- it is wood and fabric and requires more care and better storage.
Old December 23rd 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Before this thread dies I do want to mention one of the greatest all-time flights in a 1-26 I know of ... George Hanke flew a 1-26 from Saratoga NY (5B2) across MA and out to Martha's Vineyard! He circled the airport there, came back to the mainland, flew back west to where GBSC flew back in that day (IIRC, not Sterling where they fly today), landed, stayed overnight.

And the next day he took a tow and flew it back to Saratoga!

Adjusting for the realities of Northeast soaring that's mind-boggling, given being able to bring it home (upwind) the next day.

Getting one's diamonds in a 1-26 is doable, but yes ... a feat. A great deal of it is the feat of persistence, planning, and being ready to go when the conditions are right.

The hard one is the distance. There are basically two strategies -- out east it's pretty easy along the Appalachian ridges.

Out west you wait for a post-cold-frontal day with a decent wind ... and do the "vulgar down wind dash." Even 20 kts of wind on your tail changes the whole picture for a 1-26, and with any sort of luck you get some streeting too.

Problem is ... somebody will need to drive 600 miles RT to get you. (This assumes you are not George Hanke with his luck, too.) And you will probably not succeed on the first try.

Anyone who has done this has good friends or family.

Old December 23rd 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

My biggest issue was the need for an, "iron butt" for long time flights. My best contribution is a fair amount of 1-26 time (couple hundred hours before moving up to a 1-34 and beyond) and doing most of my badges from a single airport in SE NYS. Above silver C, most were done in glass though.

I have flown with Ron S. many times over the years, he is definitely an eastern mentor for 1-26 flying along with others from ACA.......

I think some time in a 1-26 is good before moving up. Partly, you fly a TON of thermals, helps you to look at the ground and sky to find the next lift, if you don't, you will likely land.

While others say training in glass is the way, I still think doing lower performance to learn the basics, then move up is a better way.
You have to learn to find and work lift all the time before stretching your legs, glass makes it easier to go further on most days.
Old December 23rd 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I own a Discus B, and call me crazy, but I still like flying 1-26s, and also not to hijack the thread ... a Ka-6. ... and right now I am refabricing and overhauling my Ka-6CR

Part of this goes back to me flying 1-26s in the Elsinore/Hemet valley in the early 70's, when i was a young pilot -- learned a great deal, they are a lot of fun to fly, and the Elsinore/Hemet valley is almost ideal conditions for them.

I think the biggest value of a 1-26 today is that YOU WILL LAND OFF-FIELD. Cross-country soaring is basically impossible until you get comfortable with the idea that you WILL land off-field ... unless you get up into the 18+ m classes of gliders with sustainers, etc.

If you can't land a 1-26 in a field ... nothing else will get you in there! And they are inexpensive, easy to fix.

The truth of the matter is that when I fly the Discus I am more worried about off-field landings, even though it is insured, and I really do know how to fly it. I don't have the sense of "no worries" that I have in a 1-26. The Discus can do so much more, goes so much farther and faster ... and I sure know how to land it. But the kind of thing that worries me with an expensive glass sailplane is the post or piece of junk in a field you don't spot -- that damage in a 1-26 is a no-big-crisis to fix, and the properly-repaired 1-26 is "good as new," equally valuable.

A big ding in a wing or much worse yet a broken fuselage (unfortunately common in glass sailplanes if you catch a wing or ground loop) is a major repair, expensive, and the glider will be substantially depreciated even though the repair is covered by insurance. A broken rear fuselage repair can add a lot of weight ... on two-seaters like the Grob-103 you often see used ones with damage-repair where the weight added is so much that it isn't really a usable two-seater anymore! This kind of thing leaves you nervous when you fly a glass-bird cross-country, and contemplate truly landing out. This is why a lot of glass-drivers fly a rigid landing-site list ... but then that can have its problems where you are gliding low off to that site on your list, and either you don't make it or get there and it's not landable.

Another point is that a 1-26 can be landed on a two-lane road, and usually you cannot get away with that in a 15 m glider. Usually this is only relevant out in the desert, where there are lots of 2-lane roads with zero traffic, and not much else to land on.

Having said all this, I like a Ka-6 more than a 1-26 ... and that's why I own one ... but the comparison is mixed. Ka-6s are cheap and a lot of fun to fly; out-perform a 1-26 and have a lot of class ... and are easy to repair if need be. But they are wood and fabric, take more storage care than a 1-26.