A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Schweizer 1-26 question

Old December 24th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

On Friday, March 29, 2013 at 4:55:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
These are all great responses so far! Paul Leal and Gus Johnson each posted 500+ KM flights in 1-26s. Ron Scwhartz is knocking off 200+ KM flights with 5 to 6 hour durations like there is nothing to it. All very, very impressive for a sailplane that has supposedly limited performance capabilities.

I fly / soar primarily for fun. Maybe simpler and more affordable is a better way for me to go.

Yeah you see some great distances in 1-26's, but they are nearly always out west along a ridge.. with constant good lift. You'll never see these 500KM flights over here in Florida for example, going thermal to thermal at 2500' AGL.

I remember when I got my 1-26. I had been flying a 1-34 until I purchased my own 1-26. When I got off tow, I took a thermal and thought hey this is great! Then I dropped the nose and headed for the next thermal and once I got the speed up I was basically looking at the ground... and I thought "OH WOW I JUST SCREWED UP BUYING THIS GLIDER!". I felt like I was just falling out of the sky. Once I got a better sense of cruising speed for my 1-26 things were better, and enjoyed flying it, but it was very easy to end up on the ground. Anyway I accomplished my primary goal which was start cross country, land off field, and get over the fear of landing out. That was really the entire reason I started with a 1-26. I admit I do still love the looks of the 1-26 especially with a round tail.

Old December 24th 17, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Jim Hard flew many amazing down wind dashes in his 1-26 in MN. In one flight he made it from Stanton MN to Gary IN.
Old December 24th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Jim had 10 diamond distance flights in his 1-26. One flight exceeded 400 miles. Two ended in Indiana. All originated from the upper Midwest, most from Minneapolis MN area. There was one that started in North Dakota basically at the Canadian border and ended near Minneapolis. Following Cold Fronts in the spring.

There have been many (but not recently)Diamond Distance 1-26 flights flown northbound from Texas/NM, presumably along the dry line. I guess that is an atmospheric ridge...

The 1-26 Association website lists all known Diamond Distance and 400+ mile flights in the achievements section. www.126association.org
Old December 24th 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 9:48:44 PM UTC-5, flgliderpilot wrote:
Yeah you see some great distances in 1-26's, but they are nearly always out west along a ridge.. with constant good lift. You'll never see these 500KM flights over here in Florida for example, going thermal to thermal at 2500' AGL.

There aren't any ridges out west that are comparable to running the Appalachians.
Old December 25th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Speaking of flying 1-26 diamond distance flights out west, Doug Levy and three other guys ROUTINELY fly diamond distance flights from SO CA up along the Sierras over owens valley and into NV. Each year those guys put in two or three flights exceeding 300 miles and a few in the 400 mile range. Its done, its done regularly, and by multiple pilots who know what they are doing out west.