Garmin 396 Glitch??

Old November 4th 05, 01:03 AM
Maule Driver

Default Garmin 396 Glitch??

Alexandros wrote:
I hope so
I have emailed them and waiting....

Call them to reduce time. My 396 had 'the problem' (I think it was the
beginning of this thread). The troubleshooting consisted of getting the
most recent software on (3.70), determining whether the failure occured
with/without the various components (attenna, power). The problem
occurred repeatedly.

Once we determined that nothing could be determined, I sent it back and
it was returned. Problem - "Main processor making poor contact with CPU
board. Resoldered processor". They also replaced XM attenna.

They had it in their hands for 3 days.

Seems to work. I'm happy.

Good Luck, I'm back to playing with this very neat machine.
Old November 6th 05, 05:48 AM
Alexandros

Hi Maule Driver!

Thanx a lot! Just to be sure my problem is that very often I try to
start the device (while on battery) and even If I hear the beep sound,
the device does not start!
I have to take the the battery out and re-insert it to start.

!!!

Old November 6th 05, 03:29 PM
Dan Luke

"Alexandros" wrote:

Thanx a lot! Just to be sure my problem is that very often I try to
start the device (while on battery) and even If I hear the beep sound,
the device does not start!
I have to take the the battery out and re-insert it to start.

Try disabling the battery saver feature.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 7th 05, 11:11 AM
Alexandros

Hm...

Let's see if Dan is right! Good idea ... I let you know

Old November 7th 05, 10:04 PM
Maule Driver

Default Garmin 396 Glitch - major update

Well, they didn't fix my 396. The problem reoccurred with a vengence on
Saturday while driving. Stupidly, we were entirely dependent on it for
directions. The thing must have failed over a half dozen times.

Problem symptom: The unit would just shut down without warning. It
would not start up without removing the battery, waiting a few seconds,
re-inserting and restarting.

History: I called Garmin. They suggested loading the most recent SW.
When the problem re-occurred, we collaborated on the phone then they
told me to just send it in.

The 'Repair Summary' indicated that 1) the main processor was making
poor contact with CPU board - resoldered processor, 2) replacement of
GX30 Sat attenna.

Upon return, the problem reoccured.

I called Garmin. The technician noted that the one thing that hadn't
been done yet was to 'reset' the unit. A certain combination of buttons
and presto - reset. Why didn't we just do that in the first place? No
idea. Why isn't it documented in the manual? No idea.

Problem hasn't reoccurred yet. Seems fixed.

Question is, "Why didn't Garmin Support have me reset it in the first
place?". A deficient problem determination process perhaps? Less than
well trained support staff? I don't know but the fact that a simple
procedure was available that *may* have fixed it ****es me off. And
cost me $$$ and time.

Whatever. It cost me shipping and a week or so without the unit. For
no good reason other than some SW flakiness combined with lackluster
support. Fantastic machine nonetheless.
Old November 7th 05, 11:01 PM
tvnav.com

Your dealer should have suggested a reset. Other than a couple of times
when I forgot, that is about the first thing I suggest when there is a
problem with a GPS. I can't tell you why Garmin didn't suggest a reset.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

m...

Old November 7th 05, 11:13 PM
Leonard Ellis

Please post the secret incantation of button sequencing for the rest of us
in the event we need it.

Thanks,
Leonard Ellis (Garmin 295 owner)

"tvnav.com" wrote in message
Your dealer should have suggested a reset. Other than a couple of

times
when I forgot, that is about the first thing I suggest when there is a
problem with a GPS. I can't tell you why Garmin didn't suggest a reset.

....snip...

Old November 7th 05, 11:51 PM
tvnav.com

The reset sequences are not secret and they vary from unit to unit.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

"tvnav.com" wrote in message
Your dealer should have suggested a reset. Other than a couple of

times
when I forgot, that is about the first thing I suggest when there is a
problem with a GPS. I can't tell you why Garmin didn't suggest a reset.

...snip...

Old November 8th 05, 09:09 AM
Alexandros

Hello to all - especially Dan Luke,

I had already my battery to normal and not saver mode....
But still no luck

It seems their support in not at the same level of quality like their
devices (when they have no problems)....

I am thinking to get rid of the device and choose another brand...

Old November 8th 05, 05:17 PM
tvnav.com

"Alexandros" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello to all - especially Dan Luke,

I had already my battery to normal and not saver mode....
But still no luck

It seems their support in not at the same level of quality like their
devices (when they have no problems)....

I am thinking to get rid of the device and choose another brand...

Like what?? AFAIK there is no other brand that competes with the 396.
--

Darrel Goheen

http://www.tvnav.com

Garmin 396 Glitch?? Jeff B Piloting 55 November 11th 05 08:19 PM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry Piloting 2 January 11th 05 09:11 PM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry General Aviation 0 January 11th 05 06:27 AM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry Rotorcraft 0 January 11th 05 06:24 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM