Looking for Advice..

Old June 29th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Looking for Advice..

On Jun 27, 8:33*am, Brian Whatcott wrote:

There's a useful, contrasting viewpoint.
* * But (can't I resist being negative?) a 4 year degree from Baylor and
a CFII ticket is not a $27 grand proposition. *$80? $100? $127 grand?
* * That's why it is very, very helpful to have well-heeled parents in
this situation.

Brian W- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, it was NOT a $27 grand proposition at Baylor. More along the
low 6 figures. But there are many good & excellent part 141 colleges &
universities with both stellar flight instruction and reasonable rates/
expenses both at the school and for the flight costs. Near here,
Central Texas University and South-Eastern Oklahoma State are good,
reasonable 141 schools. In my city, Texas State Technical College is a
good, and cheap 141 school but you'll graduate with only a (virtually
useless) 2 year associates degree. Now that I think of it, TSTC
partners, I believe, with South Eastern or UT Arlington for a
bachelors and you stay in Waco for your flying & classroom
instruction. Many 2 year colleges are partnering with nearby
universities so one can earn his/her bachelors while staying in their
respective city, avoiding the hasle & expense of moving for a degree..

Ricky
Old June 29th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Brian Whatcott wrote:
Ricky wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:38 pm, majortom546
wrote:
I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.
The total cost of the program is $27,000....
majortom546

Please do not listen only to the doom stories about salary, hours,
expense, and the liberal NYT article. Never trust or put much weight
on the media in making life-changing decions, especially about a
career.

Piloting careers are diverse and the job market fluctuates greatly. I
am not a career pilot (I am a career A&P who flys for fun at the
moment) but my nephew's story paints a different picture than the doom
& gloom stories given to you here so far.
He went into some debt but had wealthy parents to help him through
Baylor's aviation program, graduated with a bachelor's and a CFII,
Multi, went straight to the Dallas area and stepped into a $25,000/
year CFI job with very reasonable hours and benefits. A few months
later he hired on at Flight Safety as a co-pilot in a specific
business jet simulator and was paid over $30,000 for this. A business
jet captain, coming to train in the simulator liked my nephew and
said; "you should come work for us." So he went from Flight Safety to
co-pilot in a Sabreliner for a major corporation and his salary jumped
significantly to, I think, near $40,000. All this happened in less
than 2 years after graduating from a 4 year university so don't let
anyone tell you that you can't get a good flying job. If you want
something bad enough, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get
it, it can be your's.
I could tell you at least 5 more very recent success stories of pilots
just out of school getting very respectable careers flying. The
airlines are NOT all there is. There are corporations, 1000s of them
with small business jets. Helicopter jobs are hot, I understand, right
now (and usually are). You can fly and earn a living, don't listen to
those who say "don't!"
Many people really enjoy instructing as a career and make well over
$50,000 within a few years at the right school/insitution. My plan is
to get my CFII & instruct as a "side job" supplementing my A&P work or
to find a place that needs check or test pilots for planes worked on.
If you really want to fly and it's been your dream since you were
little, don't let anything or anyone stop you. You will never be
satisfied or happy until you're living your dream, anyway.

Ricky

There's a useful, contrasting viewpoint.
But (can't I resist being negative?) a 4 year degree from Baylor and
a CFII ticket is not a $27 grand proposition. $80? $100? $127 grand?
That's why it is very, very helpful to have well-heeled parents in
this situation.
I could mention the starry eyed young instructors living hand to mouth
in a tatty travel trailer, building hours towards an ATP.

Still, I like the idea of grabbing for the ring and living the dream.

Brian W

Baylor may be expensive but have you looked at Southeastern Oklahoma
State University in Durant, OK. I have known some folks that graduated
with a degree and all the certificates/licenses (your pick) and have
done well. They have had to earn their position by first being a flight
instructor, then a freight hauler, then start moving on up. A son of one
friend is now captain on a Gulfstream. He sent a picture of his "office"
and it is quite nice. There are other things than the airlines. BTW, I
have not association with SOSU. Just live near it and know some folks
that went there.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 29th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:38:46 +0100, majortom546 wrote:

I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.

I think you might find this article very interesting:

SO, YOU WANT TO BE AN AIRPLANE PILOT.....
by Hal Stoen

http://stoenworks.com/So%2C%20you%20...a%20pilot.html
--
Dallas
Old June 29th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:38:46 +0100, majortom546 wrote:

I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.

I think you might find this article very interesting:

SO, YOU WANT TO BE AN AIRPLANE PILOT.....
by Hal Stoen

http://stoenworks.com/So%2C%20you%20...a%20pilot.html

Too bad he doesn't mention starting with glider training - even though he
says one should probably start with aircraft the most difficult to fly.
Nothing like training on a plane with no motor, one wheel, every takeoff
requiring formation flight (for aerotows), and no allowance for go-arounds
on landings!
Old June 29th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jun 29, 11:28*am, Ross wrote:

Baylor may be expensive but have you looked at Southeastern Oklahoma
State University in Durant, OK.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Sold
KSWI-

See above...I talk about S.E. Ok. State U.
Inexpensive, respected, but with mediocre to low quality instruction
(just what I've heard).
I have heard good & bad about the school, but there's good & bad in
everything.
I honestly don't think the particular school has a whole lot of
bearing on one getting hired at an airline, corporation, FBO or
wherever one's flight career takes root.

Ricky

Old June 29th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jun 25, 9:38*pm, majortom546
wrote:

I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.
I have wanted to be a pilot since a very young age. I plan on attending
my local community college this fall.

majortom546

Do it.
BUT...why not start out at a university and avoid the hassle of
transferring? You'll likely come out cheaper ($) and more time-
efficient in your studies if you go directly to a 4 year school.
I have been involved with 3 2 year colleges with flight programs and
not one student seriously pursuing their flight career was glad they
began at a 2 year school.

Old June 29th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Dallas wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:38:46 +0100, majortom546 wrote:

I just graduated from high school and my dream job is to become a pilot.

I think you might find this article very interesting:

SO, YOU WANT TO BE AN AIRPLANE PILOT.....
by Hal Stoen

http://stoenworks.com/So%2C%20you%20...a%20pilot.html

Too bad he doesn't mention starting with glider training - even though he
says one should probably start with aircraft the most difficult to fly.
Nothing like training on a plane with no motor, one wheel, every takeoff
requiring formation flight (for aerotows), and no allowance for go-arounds
on landings!

IMHE, I learned a great deal flying gliders and consider glider training and
experience very helpful for any pilot, however, I would NOT advise students
to spend energy or money pursuing a glider pilot certificate (or licence)
before obtaining a powered pilot cert/lic.

IN GENERAL (there are exceptions) and IMHE,
-Powered schools and instructors are better qualified and trained as
instructors, teach to a more structured curriculum, and are more motivated
to train new pilots to the level of both solo and flight test standards.
-IMHE, Cert/Lic pilots will solo gliders very quickly but ab-initio glider
student pilots seldom ever do.
-Cert/Lic glider pilots get very little credit (5hrs?) towards power
training requirements and non cert/lic students get no credit for glider
training.
-IIRC, Cert/Lic pilots do not require either glider ground school or
written test to add the glider class to their Cert/Lic.
-Gliders are affectively taildraggers and will teach good landing skills but
they are not very good at touch and go and it is difficult to get much
landing practice unless you can find a club with a winch. Similarly
towplanes are expensive and landing training is much cheaper using a winch
or a powered aircraft..
-IMHO the best and most cost effective flight training will be found at a
school using taildraggers (IMHO the best is a Citabria 7ECA) for training,
It will take a few hours longer to solo but IMHE the instructors will be
better and you will learn to use your feet properly and will have little
trouble transitioning to tricycle or glider aircraft. (Few taildraggers
have the full instruments best for use during Commercial training.)
-IMHO, glider training is very helpful after Private Pilot Cert/Lic and
enroute to Commercial Pilot Cert/Lic. IIRC, A Cert/Lic pilot can claim
their glider solo flying as both PIC and total time. Commercial students
often find themselves short on PIC time after they have completed all the
other requirements. Many people also recommend float training as part of
Commercial Pilot training as this can make it easier to get a first flying
job.

Happy landings, YMMV

Old June 29th 09, 10:12 PM
majortom546 majortom546 is offline
Junior Member

I think im going to go for the degree in aviation. Here is the link to the page of the course im looking at by the way:

http://www.sunydutchess.edu/academic...nSciencePilot/

And some people were saying the cost is too low... It is $26,200 in "lab" fees plus the tuition of $3000 a year.
And what are some colleges I can look into transfering to? Thanks guys.
Old June 30th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

http://tinyurl.com/lpsqms

And some people were saying the cost is too low... It is $26,200 in
"lab" fees plus the tuition of $3000 a year.
And what are some colleges I can look into transfering to? Thanks guys.

--
majortom546

I strongly suggest you begin at your 4 year university instead of
getting an associates (2 year) degree and then transferring somewhere
else. If you transfer there are the possible hassles of moving,
transferring schools, new airplanes & flight instructors, different
costs, different school, environment. Starting at the 4 year school
will be smoother sailing.

Southeast Oklahoma State, Central Texas University, U.T. Arlington,
there are hundreds of universities with bachelor's programs in flight.
Perhaps someone can provide a good link for the search.

Ricky
Old June 30th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jun 29, 4:12*pm, majortom546
wrote:

And what are some colleges I can look into transfering to? Thanks guys.

majortom546

Here is one of among 6,000,000 plus links;

http://www.collegebound.net/aviation..._ id=5065712&

Ricky

Need advice [email protected] Piloting 22 July 28th 07 07:52 PM
Again, GPS advice... [email protected] Piloting 16 February 7th 07 06:39 AM
Advice on PPL Crash Lander Piloting 14 July 20th 06 12:49 PM
help/advice please Billy Who? Piloting 0 January 15th 04 12:16 AM
Advice Brad Piloting 9 October 28th 03 03:54 PM