Real-time real world air traffic in flight sims

Old August 24th 03, 08:23 PM
Marty Ross

Default Real-time real world air traffic in flight sims

I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
"realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
realistic scale...

Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

Old August 24th 03, 11:15 PM
meh

I live in Phoenix Az and with traffic turned up to 50% I get almost the
exact same traffic as Sky Harbor airport.

meh

et...

Old August 25th 03, 12:42 PM
Handsome

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
et...
| I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
| real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
| MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

Ultimate Traffic add-on does it for a price, more or less.

Old August 25th 03, 07:10 PM
Noi

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:15:42 -0700, meh without thought wrote:

I live in Phoenix Az and with traffic turned up to 50% I get almost the
exact same traffic as Sky Harbor airport.

meh

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
et...
I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
"realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
realistic scale...

Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

Turn it up to 100% and you'll probably won't be able to tell the
difference except for the airline names and not waiting in line for t/o.
Old August 26th 03, 05:40 PM
Angus Lepper

Also, if it was to be completely real time, you would need all liveries, of
all aircraft, and all tail numbers (slightly less of a problem)
"pr" wrote in message
ds.com...
Marty Ross ) wrote:

I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
"realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
realistic scale...

Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

As was pointed out elsewhere, the main problem here (IMO) would be how to
integrate the sim flying with the real world air traffic movement,
especially the IFR traffic.

For example, if there is a busy arrival and departure period at an

airport,
how would your sim aircraft be intermixed with the real traffic activity?
If the SIM ATC provides you with a landing slot, what happens to all of
that real arriving traffic behind you that now needs to be delayed an

extra
three minutes? Suddenly the sim AI traffic no longer syncs with the real
air traffic. Then what?

Not trying to be negative. Just wondering...

--
Peter

Old August 31st 03, 09:36 PM
wired and confused

yea and how many airports are going to report this . Its not going to be
easy someone has to draw the data and send it to you. That will cost money
to cover that much area
"pr" wrote in message
ds.com...

Old September 1st 03, 04:13 AM
pr

wired and confused wrote:

yea and how many airports are going to report this . Its not going to be
easy someone has to draw the data and send it to you. That will cost money
to cover that much area

Here in the States, the data is already available for the entire
country, as there are a couple of third-party companies who sell
software that allows the average "joe" to track IFR flights.

Check out:

http://www.flightexplorer.com/

--
Peter