Train in USA or Europe??

Old July 19th 03, 04:42 PM
Shirley

Default Train in USA or Europe??

mosquito mos wrote:

I was looking for places in Arizona but they
don't seem to offer much instruction.

You can't be serious! Estrella Sailport (aka Arizona Soaring), located in
Maricopa County (almost halfway between Phoenix and Tucson), is well-known for
its level of instruction and availability of aircraft. There is also Turf
Soaring (located in Carefree, AZ, closer to and north of Phoenix).

--Shirley

BRBR

Old July 19th 03, 09:58 PM
Adonis Amore

Hi mosquito,
come to germany. OERLINGHAUSEN is the best way to get into it again!
The thermal conditions are perfect there. The flying school is open all
over the week till october. But I don't recommend you to come till the
end of august, because of holiday (to much people).

I've done my hole pilotlicense there. Not just because of the wonderfull
area and conditions, mainly because of the possibility to learn very
quick. There are enough teachers and modern planes (5*ASK21, 3*ASK23,
4*LS4, ...)

Just take a look at:
http://www.segelflugschule-oerlingha.../fr_index.html.
The page is in german, but everyone there speaks english.
Tel. 0049 - 52 02 9 96 90

From time to time there are people from GB there, because of the
thermal conditions.

Bey, Adonis

mosquito wrote following on/ schrieb folgendes am 19.07.2003 15:42:

I learned to fly in the UK, but haven't flown for 5 years or so.
I'm (was) solo, with approx 40 hrs - mainly local thermal soaring
within gliding range of my home field.

This was all on ASK-13's. I think in the US most clubs use
glass gliders.

Anyway, I want to get current again, and I'm looking to take an
intensive refresher course to get back to solo. Could you recommend
any facilities/clubs in either Europe or the US that offer training.

I was looking for places in Arizona but they don't seem to offer
much instruction. A place in N. California at Hollister looks good
but that's a long way from the UK.

Spain or France perhaps? Comments welcome.

Old July 20th 03, 12:40 AM
Gerritjan

Anyway, I want to get current again, and I'm looking to take an
intensive refresher course to get back to solo. Could you recommend
any facilities/clubs in either Europe or the US that offer training.

Why go to the US when there's lots of places in Europe ?

Old July 20th 03, 03:42 AM
John H. Campbell

This was all on ASK-13's. I think in the US most clubs use
glass gliders.

Heh, heh, heh. Mostly metal, actually. L-23s and 2-33s lead the fleet.
Besides, USA is almost exactly 1/2 "clubs" (pay less, work more) and 1/2
"operators" (pay more, fly more), kind of like public/private schools (or is
that private/public?). You have the choice. Other things you should know
about the USA are that FAA training is mostly gliding vs. soaring, launching
is mostly aerotow, and airfields & airspace are not too crowded. Oh, and
the soaring is fantastic, given 3,000 x 1,500 miles to search through.

I was looking for places in Arizona but they don't seem to offer
much instruction.

Does this cinch this message as a put-on? Every month, Arizona Soaring (SW
of Phoenix) and Turf Soaring (NW of Phoenix) vy for student pilot attention
with adjacent full-page Ads in SOARING magazine. Not to mention Tucson
Soaring Club and other active outfits.

A place in N. California at Hollister looks good
but that's a long way from the UK.

Once you've crossed the Atlantic, is there that much difference? (tickets to
L.A. are cheaper than to Phoenix). You can do a week's intensive course
anywhere from Bermuda High near Kitty Hawk to Mile High Gliding in the
Rockies to Sky Sailing by San Diego (... dozens more).

Old July 20th 03, 04:55 PM
F.L. Whiteley

http://www.whoi.edu/institutes/occi/...uptclimate.htm ?

Don't wish to be an alarmist, but NE US and UK and the Euro Continent will
be among the first to know if this is the trend.

Old July 20th 03, 05:50 PM
F.L. Whiteley

I also recall some wet years in the UK, following the Mt St Helens and Mt
Pinatubo eruptions. This time around, I don't seem to recall any massive
eruptions filling the atmosphere with dust in the northern hemisphere.

Frank Whiteley

Old July 20th 03, 06:15 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"mosquito" wrote in message
Other things you should know about the USA are that FAA
training is mostly gliding vs. soaring

Gliding vs Soaring?

Yes, some places will teach you to tow, maneuver, land, and little else. My
experience with UK training was that we soared at every opportunity and that
each soaring flight had a tow and landing built in. You can't say that
about training that concentrates largely on tows and landings and filling
PTS squares. You must choose wisely. You can solo in the US on a student
ticket, but will have to complete a training syllabus. If cost is not a
real object, it can be done quite handily. You might also consider Texas,
Colorado, and New Mexico. Like California, Arizona, and Nevada, these
places have big air and powerful conditions. The farther east and north,
the more UK-like things become.

Does this cinch this message as a put-on?

It was a simple request for info.

Very anonymously posted. Have you been put off by the BGA for some reason?
Typically there are fewer hoops to jump through there. I speak from
experience, having been trained in a BGA club. US training requires far
more paperwork and knowledge of air regulations.

mosquito, elegant bomber and sailplane, also irritating pest and disease
carrier (We have west nile virus in horses again this year locally)

If you were solo before, you should be able to regain this in 3-10 flights.
You are never far from a club in the UK and some of the big clubs operate
daily much of the year, so intensive training is quite available.

Once you've crossed the Atlantic, is there that much difference?

Yes. About six hours coast to coast.

The time and distance has little to do with airfares and the time is minimal
on a non-stop flight. One may get to Denver more cheaply than some east
coast locations at times. We fly year round here, when the air fares may be
heavily discounted.

And thanks for the enlightenment.

If it's the weather, well.....we've just come through a record heat spell
with daily 100-110F temperatures. (Even hotter in AZ). Pretty intense until
about 4000agl, very nice at 17000msl;^)

Old July 21st 03, 06:26 AM
tango4

The weather has been so marginal that I'm going to buy a boat! If I can't
fly I might as well go sailing.

Ian

"mosquito" wrote in message
Anywhere but the UK! It has been a particularly bad season here

weatherwise.

Too true. The UK is always a pot-luck prospect, when your activity is

weather
critical. A soaring friend of mine who's learning to Paraglide, has been
grounded for a couple of weeks due to unfavourable weather. That's the

main
reason I'm giving serious consideration to the western USA.

Many of the US clubs I assumed didn't offer instruction, do. The German

club looks
good, but doesn't have an English version.

Thanks.

Old July 21st 03, 06:51 AM
Adonis Amore

Hey Mosquito,

Many of the US clubs I assumed didn't offer instruction, do. The

German club looks
good, but doesn't have an English version.

you're right, but I gave you the Phonenr. of Oerlinghausen. Just make a
call!

Adonis