ASW 24 WL for beginner ?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:40 PM
Harry

Default ASW 24 WL for beginner ?

would you recommend this ship for a recently licensed pilot ??? comments welcome!

regards
Harry
Old July 22nd 03, 10:28 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Harry wrote:

would you recommend this ship for a recently licensed pilot ??? comments welcome!

regards
Harry

We had 2 ASW24 in my club, I had flights in both, one of them has winglets and not
the other one. This last one was recently destroyed in an accident. I find some
pecularities of these gliders are not really suited for beginners, but they are
nevertheless very good and safe gliders, as proven by the fact that the pilot
who had the accident was able to walk out of the glider and ask for help at the next
house. What I dislike in these gliders is the lack of efficiency of the ailerons
at low speed, probably due to their small size, especially at the beginning of ground
roll, where they have a marked tendency to drop a wing. The fact that they have only
a CG hook (but maybe specific to the 2 in my club) doesn't help. Beside that this
ship is a relatively high performance ship and as a consequence, as in any such ship,
speed increases quickly with nose down attitude, which may make speed control difficult
for a beginner. In my club there is a sequence of glider types through which you have
to go as your experience grows, namely ASK21, ASK23, LS4, Pegase, ASW24, Discus, LS6.
There is not a true transition between ASW24 and Discus, they are considered as equivalent
as far as pilot's skill and experience is concerned, however I find the Discus is easier
to fly than the ASW24. The pilot who had the accident is the owner of a Ventus 2a he
could not fly this day because a missing annual and some people suggested that one of
the factor lending to the accident was his lack of training on a ship with a handling
significantly different from his usual glider.
Old July 22nd 03, 10:39 PM
dhofstee

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
If you get a ship with a CG hook
and you launch via aero-tow, make sure you can learn
all you can from the instructors before you make that
first launch.

Didn't do that, nearly became a statistic... One of the two moments in
my (never ending) "training" that I don't want to repeat.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Is that the same Ray that was present then? ;-)

David
NL

Old July 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
Joe Lacour

I have recently bought an LS-4A with a CG hook. What kind of problems
did you have with aero-towing with a DG hook?

Joe

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: ASW 24 WL for beginner ?

Old July 22nd 03, 11:34 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Joe,

When I started flying my LS-1 with it's CG hook, I
probably had never aero-towed with a CG hook. I had
aero-towed with nose hooks and winch launched with
CG hooks and probably had about 300 hours (?). I did
experience a problem on my first takeoff that can be
attributed to the CG hook and a bit of tail-heaviness
in the glider. It was cured with a proper 'A&P' certified
weight and balance with me in the cockpit and the glider
sitting on the scales. We added weight to the nose
(since then, I've added weight around my belly...)

I would think an experienced pilot should handle the
CG hook for aerotowing well, but a newly licensed pilot,
I think, should get a lot of information from the instructor.
Maybe allow the instructor to fly the ship some before
he, the newly licensed pilot does, so the instructor
can discuss the flying characteristic? Also, if a
two-place ship is available with a CG hook, could it
legally and safely be aerotowed with the CG hook if
a nose hook is available? If so, why not do some dual
with the instructor in the two-seater?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina

PS: To David Hofstee. Hi David. Still the same Ray
here on the 'liberal' side of Chapel Hole!

Old July 23rd 03, 12:19 AM
Marc Ramsey

"Joe Lacour" wrote...
I have recently bought an LS-4A with a CG hook. What kind of problems
did you have with aero-towing with a DG hook?

CG hooks are intended to facilitate the kind of climb angles needed for an
efficient winch launch, and will do so, even if you happen to be behind a
towplane. This can be avoided by setting full-forward trim prior to takeoff.
Once you are going fast enough for adequate rudder control, use forward pressure
on the stick to lift the tail and roll along on the mainwheel behind the
towplane. When you are going fast enough to lift off, release the forward
pressure, but resist the temptation to pull back.

Marc
(who did the kite thang during his first aero-tow in his CG-hook-equipped
DG-101, as well as his Ventus)

Old July 23rd 03, 02:02 AM
Ulrich

Although the ASW-24 is a delightful glider to fly and behaves very
well in almost all situations, I would not recommend it for recently
licensed pilots, mostly because it requires a fair amount of precision
on landing. The airspeed must be tightly controlled and the circuit
planned and executed exactly for short field landings. While the dive
brakes are reasonably good but improper airspeed control reduces their
effectiveness. It does slip quite well but, again, this is a maneouvre
that many new pilots will find difficult in a glider like this. I
would recommend other gliders for newly licensed pilots, such as, for
example, the LS-4.

Ulli Werneburg
ASW-24 #24078 'MZ'

Old July 23rd 03, 03:04 AM
Bill Daniels

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in message
Snip----

Also, if a two-place ship is available with a CG hook, could it
legally and safely be aerotowed with the CG hook if
a nose hook is available? If so, why not do some dual
with the instructor in the two-seater?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina

It's legal and a good idea. I've done this sort of transition training many
times using a variety of two-place trainers equipped with CG hooks. If the
pilot flies the airtow within normal limits there are few differences to
show the effect of the CG hook. However, if the glider gets high, things
can go bad in an instant. I always brief the tug pilot that if he feels the
tail being pulled up, he should release his end of the rope instantly.

Occasionally, a transitioning pilot will turn up who has a habit of relying
on the nose mounted hook to help keep him in position laterally. That
pilot, when flying with a CG hook, will have to learn to fly the glider more
aggressively to stay in position.

There were some flights testing air towing with CG hooks done in the UK.
The take-home lesson seemed to be that a glider in a too-high position with
a nose hook is still recoverable. With a CG hook, the situation becomes
unrecoverable in an eyeblink. Air towing with a CG hook creates a situation
where things can appear controllable one instant and completely out of
control the next.

This is what prompted the LBA to mandate the installation of nose hooks for
airtow in Germany. I wouldn't go that far, but replacing the tug's
Schweitzer hook that can't be released under a strong up-load with a Tost
hook that can makes a lot of sense.

Bill Daniels

Old July 23rd 03, 04:50 AM
Stephen Szikora

Why wouldn't you "go that far"?

Every glider should be equipped with a nose hook. In today's world, how
many of us will ever fly off a winch? The nose hook should be standard with
the c of g hook optional, not the other way around! We should insist on
nose hooks on all new gliders and stop letting our knuckle-dragging egos
cling to the past.