Uncontrolled Arpts. w/ X-ing Runways

Old July 26th 03, 04:04 PM
rjciii

Default Uncontrolled Arpts. w/ X-ing Runways

For background informational purposes for an upcoming meeting with the
FAA concerning our ongoing complaint with respect to local
discriminatory rules conrolling glider operations, I request
information pertaining to any known glider operations at uncontrolled
pulic airfields with crossing runways.

Primarily, I need to know the name and location of the airfield, as
well as the name of the glider operation or club. Also, a description
of any procedures that may be in place to ensure deconfliction of
traffic at the runway intersection would be helpful.

The need for this information is time sensitive.

I may be contacted directly at:
Old July 26th 03, 05:34 PM
Greg Arnold

Bishop (California) is another example.

As far as I know, the way to prevent conflict at crossing runways is the
technique used at all uncontrolled airports by both glider and power
traffic -- awareness of other traffic and common sense.

"Al" wrote in message ...

Minded is an example of what you are looking for.

Al

om...

Old July 26th 03, 05:48 PM
Lord Struthers

Truckee-Tahoe airport is another.
Rich

Old July 26th 03, 07:38 PM
John Morgan

Minden, NV is the busiest glider + GA aircraft, non-tower controlled field
I've used. I fly both power and glider so have seen with both sides. At MEV,
gliders fly right traffic, power left, and from what I've seen, users are
acutely aware of the potential for conflicts while landing and taking off,
and use the radio accordingly.

When I take the runway with a non-glider, I transmit something like, "Mooney
'065 taking 34, intersection check with 30 . . . clear . . .". This, to let
the glider ops know that I've looked, checked, and determined the
intersection to be safe for my departure. It also gives any glider op the
opportunity to get on the radio and warn me of any potential conflict I may
not be aware of.

Since I have relatively little experience with gliding at MEV, it would be
good to hear from Al and other "old timers" who may have more info on any
past incidents between power and glider, if any, and the details.

--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."
"Al" wrote in message
Minded is an example of what you are looking for.

Al

"rjciii" wrote in message
om...
For background informational purposes for an upcoming meeting with the
FAA concerning our ongoing complaint with respect to local
discriminatory rules conrolling glider operations, I request
information pertaining to any known glider operations at uncontrolled
pulic airfields with crossing runways.

Primarily, I need to know the name and location of the airfield, as
well as the name of the glider operation or club. Also, a description
of any procedures that may be in place to ensure deconfliction of
traffic at the runway intersection would be helpful.

The need for this information is time sensitive.

I may be contacted directly at:

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 26th 03, 08:26 PM
Mark James Boyd

If the dog has fleas, I don't call the SPCA, I
contact the owner...

If I have a problem with someone, I usually go to their
boss if I can't resolve it. The FAA isn't the airport
manager's boss. Usually the city council is the boss.

I'd find the city councilperson most allied to
your cause. Then take up a collection of checks written
to that councilperson's reelection campaign. Then I'd
take all the checks (collected over a month or so)
and make a list of the donators, wives, and voting age
children and parents in the area. I'd give this and the
checks to the councilperson with a very general
description of the challenges. Of course I
would be very polite and brief and not use the
airport manager's name, but only his title, when
refering to him. I'd make it clear that there is
a difference of opinion, but nothing personal.

I'd also make sure to be an active member of every
organization on the field (or at least pay dues).
There's nothing like good representation...

Old July 27th 03, 04:57 AM
Michael I Green

Northern California Soaring Club at the Byron Airport, Contra Costa
County, CA.

Eyes open and common sense.

MG

rjciii wrote:

For background informational purposes for an upcoming meeting with the
FAA concerning our ongoing complaint with respect to local
discriminatory rules conrolling glider operations, I request
information pertaining to any known glider operations at uncontrolled
pulic airfields with crossing runways.

Primarily, I need to know the name and location of the airfield, as
well as the name of the glider operation or club. Also, a description
of any procedures that may be in place to ensure deconfliction of
traffic at the runway intersection would be helpful.

The need for this information is time sensitive.

I may be contacted directly at:

Michael I Green

_____

`-----------( )-----------'
'
mighty gorilla
Duo Discus N175DD
PW-5 N80MG

Old July 27th 03, 03:57 PM
Al

The biggest problem is not the locals its the visiting pilots who fly at the
FBO's

The majority of them are great and cause no problems at all.
Then there is the 1 out of every 20 visitors that cuts up a fire tanker
that's working a fire or crosses the intersection infront of a landing or
taking off aircraft on 34.

The same applies to visiting power pilots there are some that have never
flown with glider traffic or are simply unaware that due east of the field
the sky is littered with gliders between 6,000 and 10,000ft.
There are more and more private jets coming into Minden and they like to do
a complete upwind, crosswind, downwind, base, final approach (when they are
not doing straight in finals which can also add a few surprises.) The
result of the upwind letting down leg is it puts fast jets descending in
amongst the gliders east of the field. Its only going to be a matter of
time before some jet jockey gets a scare when he has a windshield full of
50ft of glider and spills his drink ruining his trousers and making him so
ticked off that he files a near miss.

But... on the whole considering the volume of traffic and the mix of types,
Minden is a pretty good example power and glider traffic getting on.
Its all a matter of pilot education and not forcing the glider right of way
issue and we all get along.
I often will hang out over the airport waiting for power traffic to clear or
take off, sometimes waiting for multiple power operations.
This stops panicking the power traffic and give me a clear shot at crossing
the intersection on roll out.
I have seen glider pilots push power traffic out of the pattern calling the
glider rule when they had the height to just hang out and let the power guys
get on with their operation.

Fly safe

Al
www.gliderforum.com

"Al" wrote in message
Minded is an example of what you are looking for.

Al

"rjciii" wrote in message
om...
For background informational purposes for an upcoming meeting with the
FAA concerning our ongoing complaint with respect to local
discriminatory rules conrolling glider operations, I request
information pertaining to any known glider operations at uncontrolled
pulic airfields with crossing runways.

Primarily, I need to know the name and location of the airfield, as
well as the name of the glider operation or club. Also, a description
of any procedures that may be in place to ensure deconfliction of
traffic at the runway intersection would be helpful.

The need for this information is time sensitive.

I may be contacted directly at:

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

F-18 Approach and touchdown speeds on runways? Paul Michael Brown Naval Aviation 5 August 25th 04 04:56 PM
IFR hold short line at uncontrolled airports? Peter R. Instrument Flight Rules 30 June 9th 04 04:47 AM
Position and Hold at uncontrolled field dave Piloting 42 February 26th 04 01:25 AM
Extreme Runways JohnMcGrew Piloting 9 October 25th 03 02:57 PM
fs2002 - increase intensity taxiway and runways' lights? Mark Cherry Simulators 0 September 23rd 03 01:08 AM