Methods of launch

Old November 20th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Culp

Default Methods of launch

Dear Fellow Aviators,

Let us not forget catapult launch gravity powered means
by dropped mass weight cranked or screwed aloft.

Gliders have been launched, generally from hill sites
with a catapult system including a lifted weight mass
by cranking or pulley to a height;

Thenceforth, a connection to the nose or underweg
of the glider is made by rope or cable utilizing a
roller pulley system;

Last most, the weight mass is released from its elevated
position on high in the apparatus,

and

The glider is snatched quickly forward along its brief
and short track to launch out over a hill face by the
pulley system using gravity power of a raised and dropped
weight.

Kazowi, Gentlefolk. So simple.

The Wright Bros used a dropped elevated mass catapult
system tho I do not know if they used it off a hill
face. Seems I remember they did short launches off
level land with such.

Yet the Wrights did use such a raised and dropped mass
systen with pulley catapult for glider or aeroplane
launches, tho brief as they were.

I believe such weight-drop catapult pulley systems
have been devised and used in England and Europe with
some success especially on the low wing loaded and
high lift slow speed gliders of the 1930s pre-WWII.

When I was flying a Schleicher K8 with friends including
Peter King and Brian E. Evans and Mark Ritter in north
Georgia, I considered such a system. At the time we
were doing very successfully auto tow straight launches
from Jasper Airport yet we ease of glider launch into
NWesterly hill winds prevalent there by catapult or
bungee launch.

We went forth,
seeking an ideal hillside or mountainside site
which we might use to launch,
seeking s requisite cleared terrain on slope,
but we did not find a suitable hillside site available
in north Georgia;

Then I pondered constructing such a device;
alternatively
we considered obtaining a bungee cord from England
for
launches off hillside.

We needed and sought a nice tree cleared (European
styled) slope,
but we did not find one in north Georgia;

as most sites had trees below rather than European
style pastures on hill or mountain slopes.

We connived and planned and speculated and sought,

but the right set of conditons of terrain availability
did not present itself to our searching eager minds
at that time.

We sure were prepared to order a big rubber cloth encased
bungee cord for our enterprise from England if we found
the site. (At that time no such bungees were available
in USA).

Too bad. What adventure we would have had.
We remained safe
by default,

The Lord Our God
Looking Out for Innocent Fools,
perhaps;

We then doing straight auto tows successfully at Jasper
Pickens County Airport Georgia.

So, if you dont know of this launch system which I
describe here above just ask JJ Sinclair or Bob Gaines.

I bet they know.

Their minds, and others, contain valuable and important
aviation and gliding historic airchives.

Bottle them, or ask them, if you can.

Dancing on clouds,

Keep it up!

Jim Culp USA

GatorCity Florida
Asw-20C

Methods of Launch Robert Gaines Soaring 25 November 19th 06 05:51 PM
Methods of Launch Nigel Baker Soaring 3 November 17th 06 05:35 PM
Air Force Aerial Refueling Methods: Flying Boom versus Hose-and-Drogue Mike Naval Aviation 26 July 11th 06 11:38 PM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM