An open message to the group.

Old July 16th 08, 02:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

Default An open message to the group.

I just became aware of the other group that posts movies
as a norm. I never heard of it before and for some reason my
server doesn't carry it. I'll check with my isp.

In light of this news however, I do not apologize for posting
what the title of this group name represents, a binary format.

The fact that the word binaries is included in the group name
one would believe a movie file could be uploaded here. A simple
picture is a binary format, a movie is a binary format. What's
the difference, size?

If you want "still" pictures only, then name the group to
reflect that issue:

alt.binaries.still.pictures.aviation.

The word pictures to me means, still pictures, scanned pictures
movie pictures and anything else related to aviation that is
binary and picture related. You don't like what I post, don't
look at it. Not sure what a file is about, don't mess with it.

The way a few people here describes a binary group makes the
words binaries and pictures in the same sentence nothing but
a contradictions of terms. It's silly.

The fact that I have seen movies uploaded here by others, albeit
very rare allowed me to believe no problems should arise from it.
As far as file size, I post for the fun of it. I have no idea how
many files will be produced.

To big? I could have used yEnc and reduced the lot by a
considerable amount, but we know what yEnc will get us here.

WITCH! WITCH! yEnc is witchcraft! HA! HA! HA! HA! ya, right!

Don't come back with your facts and figures boring me with what
you have or have not seen posted here. It's obvious what I see
posted is not what you see and visa versa. That point is mute.

Does this mean animated gif's, swf files and the like are not
permitted either? It's a rhetorical question, don't answer it.

The norm here is that if anyone posts something that emphasizes
what you don't like about a file or its content, then loud-mouthed
insensitive pompous bashing commences!

I post a funny movie short not in yEnc to avoid that issue all-
together and all you people do is bitch.

Tell you what, I don't appreciate hanger queen files, I think
they are tacky and if I want to see naked women there are more
appropriate places on the Internet for that stuff.

Next time a plane goes down, don't post the information here.
There's another NG for that stuff.

Next time you find pictures of military planes, don't post them
here. There's another NG for that stuff.

Next time a safety issue for planes comes up, don't post the
information here. There's another NG for that stuff.

Next time you have pictures of R/C planes, don't post the
stuff here. There's another NG for that.

The point here as we all know it, is that they are all aviation
related and fun to share. What's the point going to numerous
NG's?

I don't waste my time viewing things I'm not interested in or
what files in my opinion are to big.

Actually, when I saw how many files my movie upload produced I
swallowed hard. I had no idea that many files would be produced.
For that fact and my oversight (as someone pointed out) for not
mentioning what the movie was about I apologize, but that's
where my apology ends.

Maybe I should start showing my condemnation for things I don't
like to see here.

Let it be known I'm not putting up with anyones crap anymore.

You don't care for me, tough. Notify my ISP of your personality
crises.

You don't like what I post, tough. As long as I stay within the
boundries of my ISP there is no problem as YOU think you see it.

Plonk me, don't view what I post, it's no skin off my nose.
Old July 16th 08, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
I just became aware of the other group that posts movies
as a norm. I never heard of it before and for some reason my
server doesn't carry it. I'll check with my isp.

I've been coming here since 1999 - vids are fine as long as they are
on-topic. If I didn't want to see a vid, I suppose there are ways of
excluding them, even for OE.

I for one don't have any problem with you posting. I only have a problem
with part-posts (x/x). Other than that, go for it.

Old July 16th 08, 07:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

Sj wrote in news:qolq74tbaq7i74evge55vqhog3ir6loku6@
4ax.com:

In reading the control messages for this ng & for
alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation, it sounds like you need to check
out the multimedia ng ... it sounds like it was created out of a
desire to post multimedia ("movies, home videos, gun camera
footage, a/c walk-arounds and the like") while this ng was
created for pictures ...

Controls can be found he
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/

Sj

Thanks for the info. I'll check into it. My post was just to
try and liven things up here, it's been dead on my end for awhile.
Boy, did I ecxceed my wildest expectations!
Old July 16th 08, 07:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:xsffk.20081
:

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
I just became aware of the other group that posts movies
as a norm. I never heard of it before and for some reason my
server doesn't carry it. I'll check with my isp.

I've been coming here since 1999 - vids are fine as long as they are
on-topic. If I didn't want to see a vid, I suppose there are ways of
excluding them, even for OE.

I for one don't have any problem with you posting. I only have a problem
with part-posts (x/x). Other than that, go for it.

I'm getting the impression that not all NG readers distinguish between
a simple picture or something more complicated like a movie file. My
reader shows an entire list of what is available to view and indicates
which are simple pictures, movies, file types and so on.

As far as eliminating part-posts, I'm sure you know the idea was to cut
a big file into smaller pieces making it easier for the server to handle.
All the NG readers I ever used, assemble the individual files seamlessly.
It doesn't get much easier than that.

I think most of the problem here lays in the fact that some people don't
know how to handle anything beyond a simple binary file. I'm not saying
that as put-down towards anyone. It's a fact of life that not everyone
has the same abilities. Just a wild guess on my part.

Thanks for your input and yes, the file was aviation related with a
comical spirit. The video actually won an award.

Old July 16th 08, 11:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
As far as eliminating part-posts, I'm sure you know the idea was to cut
a big file into smaller pieces making it easier for the server to handle.
All the NG readers I ever used, assemble the individual files seamlessly.
It doesn't get much easier than that.

The problem with breaking big files into smaller sections is that not all of
them come through. If it's under, say, 3mb, it shouldn't be a problem for
most people these days (I've had cable for over five years). OE can sort
files by size, in addition to sorting by subject, poster etc; if people are
on a dial-up modem, they can simply exclude files that are too large (tools,
message rules, "where the message size is a certain size").

Old July 16th 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Conscious Pilate[_2_]

Just as a matter of interest my ISP down here in OZ only actually listed 3
of the 24 files that you had sent - so for some of us it is really a pain
not only able to see it, and hence pass comment on it's relevance etc, but
really is a waste of space on the news group.

Whenever I see a movie of any kind that I think the group would be
interested in I just simply post the link - saves a heap of angst.

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Old July 16th 08, 12:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chris D

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in message
u...
Just as a matter of interest my ISP down here in OZ only actually listed 3
of the 24 files that you had sent - so for some of us it is really a pain
not only able to see it, and hence pass comment on it's relevance etc, but
really is a waste of space on the news group.

Whenever I see a movie of any kind that I think the group would be
interested in I just simply post the link - saves a heap of angst.

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Bloody Optusnet!!! I'm in the same boat too. Although, I was lucky enough to
get 4 out of 24. BTW did you have trouble downloading alt.binary NG photo's
in the last few weeks? It seems to have cleared up now. But at one stage, I
was only able to open 40% of posts. Very annoying.

Chris

Old July 16th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

[Top-posting corrected.]

"stanley adelson" wrote in message

"Chris D" wrote in message
u...
"Conscious Pilate" wrote in message
u...
Just as a matter of interest my ISP down here in OZ only actually listed 3
of the 24 files that you had sent - so for some of us it is really a pain
not only able to see it, and hence pass comment on it's relevance etc, but
really is a waste of space on the news group.

Whenever I see a movie of any kind that I think the group would be
interested in I just simply post the link - saves a heap of angst.

Bloody Optusnet!!! I'm in the same boat too. Although, I was lucky enough
to get 4 out of 24. BTW did you have trouble downloading alt.binary NG
photo's in the last few weeks? It seems to have cleared up now. But at one
stage, I was only able to open 40% of posts. Very annoying.

VERY ANNOYING BECAUSE YOU BOTTOM POST

Bottom posting helps people to follow the context. It is the norm in Usenet.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old July 16th 08, 10:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Harold[_2_]

"Chris D" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Ditto. I'm also on Optusnet dial up, and was noticing the same thing. It
was getting to the stage that some of the binaries postings were only
being retained for what seemed like three hours, after which they were
being deleted from the server.

H.