Garmin Aviation Program on PC

Old March 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

Default Garmin Aviation Program on PC

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:04:42 -0800, Danny Deger wrote
(in article ):

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I just bought a Garmin 96 GPS. I have loaded the Garmin Mapsource
software to my PC, but can't find any aviation data in it. All I see are
town, roads, etc. Any ideas how to do aviation planning on my PC and
download to my handheld?

Danny Deger

AFAIK, Mapsource is just terrestrial information (ie driving...)

I'm pretty sure the Jep aviation data should already be loaded.

The JEP data is on the handheld, but not in Mapsource on the PC. I was
looking for a way to do aviation route planning on the PC. I would like to
do this because of the better displays etc of the PC compaired to the hand
held. For this I need the JEP data into Mapsource or some other PC
application that can load the route and waypoints onto the handheld.

Danny Deger

Mapsource has no aviation data. However, you can use flight planning software
that does have the aviation data and download your route into the GPS. I have
noticed a strong tendency for your waypoints to show up as duplicates of the
built-in waypoints when you do this, however.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 7th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 6, 9:19 pm, C J Campbell
wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:04:42 -0800, Danny Deger wrote
(in article ):

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
"Danny Deger" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

World Famous Flight Instructor- Hide quoted text -

That depends on the software you are using. If the route is sent
properly, the route points will use the airports and VORs in the GPS
unit's aviation database rather than creating user waypoints...

Dean