2 aircraft cleared onto the same runway at the same time

Old March 26th 05, 04:43 AM
Newps

Jack Allison wrote:

Dave Stadt wrote:

Never been to OSH eh? You get lined up six at a time.

My thought exactly. Perhaps the tower controller was getting prepped
for this year :-)

Not likely as he's not eligible for OSH.

Old March 26th 05, 04:49 AM
Morgans

"Dave Stadt" wrote
Never been to OSH eh? You get lined up six at a time.

I have never seen that. They do pull someone onto the runway in pairs, as
soon as the departing plane releases brakes. They line you up on left and
right sides of the runway, and alternate departing left, then right.

This was on 18; I don't what they do with the IFR departures on 9/27.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 26th 05, 05:05 AM
nooneimportant

"Tom Fleischman" k wrote in
message
news:250320051938408267%bodhijunkoneeightyeightjun ...
This was a new one for me.

I was IFR this afternoon out of HPN for short practice flight. I was in
sequence number two at the runway waiting for departure. As the tower
controller cleared the Cessna in front of me to position and hold, he
asked him his direction of flight. The Cessna pilot responded
"Northbound". The controller then instructed the Cessna to position 50
feet north on Rwy 34, and then he cleared me to position and hold
behind the Cessna. The Cessna was VFR. I questioned the clearance,
reminding him that there was an airplane on the runway in front of me.
He told me to position and hold behind the traffic. As I taxiied into
position, he cleared the Cessna for takeoff and as soon as the Cessna
broke ground he cleared me for takeoff. I was using a DP which includes
a turn to the left. The Cessna was instructed to turn out to the right.

I've been flying out of HPN since 1992 and I have never seen or heard
of anything like this being done there before, ever.

Did I miss something??

Get it regualr out here at KDVT... busy training airport, not uncommon to
have one aircraft laning, with taxi into position and hold clearances issued
to aircraft holding at any number of taxiways located near the departure end
of eaither runway, I have seen up to 3 aircraft on the runway at one time...
1 on the rollout, 2 holding in position... guess its possible for a third
aircraft to be holding in position on 7R, there is C1 and C2, both are full
length (displaced threshold) and C3 (ALMOST full length, intersection
departure), but I've never seen it. Also know that under certain
circumstances multiple aircraft can be ROLLING at the same time on the same
runway, but can't recall what they are off the top of my head...

Old March 26th 05, 06:41 AM
Montblack

("Newps" wrote)
My thought exactly. Perhaps the tower controller was getting prepped
for this year :-)

Not likely as he's not eligible for OSH.

Who is? What are the requirements?

Montblack
Old March 26th 05, 12:37 PM
Peter R.

Tom Fleischman k wrote:

I've been flying out of HPN since 1992 and I have never seen or heard
of anything like this being done there before, ever.

See this a lot at Syracuse, NY.

--
Peter

Old March 26th 05, 02:43 PM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave Stadt" wrote
Never been to OSH eh? You get lined up six at a time.

I have never seen that. They do pull someone onto the runway in pairs, as
soon as the departing plane releases brakes. They line you up on left and
right sides of the runway, and alternate departing left, then right.

This was on 18; I don't what they do with the IFR departures on 9/27.
--
Jim in NC

You must never have left at high volume departure times. They will get at
least 6 lined up on 18 right, 2 wide and three deep. There will also be
departures on 18 left.

Old March 26th 05, 03:09 PM
Mitty

On 3/25/2005 10:42 PM, Newps wrote the following:

Roy Smith wrote:

Hi Tom. That's a common trick the tower uses at HPN to get multiple
departures out quicker. I get it every once in a while. I can't say
for sure, but I suspect it's only possible when one of the flights is
VFR.

IFR or VFR is not relavant.

Separation requirements make the crowding-onto-the-runway exercise unnecessary
if both flights are IFR, as the local controller would have plenty of time to
taxi the second IFR guy onto the runway before the second flight could be
released anyway.
Old March 26th 05, 03:55 PM
C J Campbell

I have seen it at Boeing Field, Montgomery Field, and Riverside. It is
fairly common. I have even been cleared to land on the runway at the same
time as another airplane -- one of us is told to land long, or on the right
half of the runway, or both.

Old March 26th 05, 03:58 PM
C J Campbell

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. com...

"Tom Fleischman" k wrote

in
message

news:250320051938408267%bodhijunkoneeightyeightjun ...

Never been to OSH eh? You get lined up six at a time.

They do that at Arlington, too. It is one of the cool things about big
fly-ins.

Old March 26th 05, 06:23 PM
Mike W.

"Newps" wrote in message

Roy Smith wrote:

Hi Tom. That's a common trick the tower uses at HPN to get multiple
departures out quicker. I get it every once in a while. I can't say

for
sure, but I suspect it's only possible when one of the flights is VFR.

IFR or VFR is not relavant.

He's right, the controller is not going to issue taxi and hold to a flight
that is going to have to wait 10 minutes to pick up clearance. If they are
ready to go, they are ready to go.