Can ATC assign an airway if filed direct?

Old February 4th 04, 04:57 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Can ATC assign an airway if filed direct?

If you file to a VOR direct, can ATC clear you along an airway
instead, and expect you to look up the airways? In other words, how
important is to carry an enroute chart if you don't plan on using
airways?
Old February 4th 04, 08:12 AM
Jeff

ATC can tell you to do anything or change anything they want, yes you
will want to carry a low altitude enroute chart and have it handy.

when I departed ontario, ca. (ONT) last week, it was my intentions to
cancel IFR as soon as I was on top of the fog and was VFR so I did not
pull out my chart. the initial clearance was simple enough, from ONT,
runway heading to 3000, direct PDZ, climb maintain 4000 , direct HND
(Henderson Nevada), after take off, they changed it up on me and told me
after PDZ intercept v448 - HEC, then as filed. so I had to dig out my
chart and find v448 while in a climb, in IMC and about 22 miles from PDZ
where I would be turning onto v448.
No biggie tho if you know what your looking for. After getting
established on v448 I was able to cancel IFR and continue VFR.

Old February 4th 04, 08:15 AM
Jeff

and allot of times, make sure you have allot of patience. they don't always
give you the fastest way back, and they can and do change your clearance
several times. I think the most I have had was 5 changes within 15 minutes
when coming out of Phoenix on a night flight back to vegas.

Stan Gosnell wrote:

I If you file IFR
and expect to fly IFR, you had better have the appropriate charts
available.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old February 4th 04, 11:41 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...

If you file to a VOR direct, can ATC clear you along an airway
instead, and expect you to look up the airways?

Yes.

In other words, how
important is to carry an enroute chart if you don't plan on using
airways?

You should be prepared to comply with any appropriate clearance. Direct
routing may not be available due to radar limitations.

Old February 4th 04, 08:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

You're joking, right?

ATC can give you any clearance they want. You don't have to accept it,
and can't if you don't have the equipment to fly it (i.e. route requires
DME and you don't have DME). But, you'd look pretty stupid saying,
"unable airways, negative chart".

No, you don't have to accept it, but there may be no other alternative
available.

Old February 5th 04, 02:11 AM
Kyler Laird

Roy Smith writes:

But, you'd look pretty stupid saying,
"unable airways, negative chart".

Yeah, I've done that. A few times I've basically told ATC "I'll stay
VFR unless you can give me vectors direct..." (as if they really want
to deal with me IFR). It's especially important to have another
"out" when doing something like that but I've bumped into some very
accommodating controllers.

--kyler