IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Old September 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Michael Mcneil

"old hoodoo" wrote in message

Here in Victoria we had an F-101 that when we got it, we prepared pads
and metal supports to secure it and get the tires off the ground. Not a
particularly difficult or expensive task.

Sir Frances Chichester flew his Gypsy Moth through an typhoon in the
orient when he turned up at the wrong hangar to berth it. He reasoned
that it was designed to fly at the same airspeeds it was threatened
with.

What sort of planes do the US consider worth keeping that couldn't do
that?

Old September 23rd 04, 03:15 PM
SFbobby

Sir Frances Chichester flew his Gypsy Moth through an typhoon in the
orient when he turned up at the wrong hangar to berth it. He reasoned
that it was designed to fly at the same airspeeds it was threatened
with.

The Gypsy Moth "flew" at about 6 knots soaking wet. Nice try.
Old September 23rd 04, 03:34 PM
Keith Willshaw

"SFbobby" wrote in message
Sir Frances Chichester flew his Gypsy Moth through an typhoon in the
orient when he turned up at the wrong hangar to berth it. He reasoned
that it was designed to fly at the same airspeeds it was threatened
with.

The Gypsy Moth "flew" at about 6 knots soaking wet. Nice try.

Sir Frances Chichester was famous for making 2 journeys
in a mode of transport called Gypsy Moth

The second was the yacht which you seem to be alluding to
but the first was the DeHavilland biplane he flew from England to
Australia in 1929.

Keith

Old September 23rd 04, 03:55 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
SFbobby wrote:
Sir Frances Chichester flew his Gypsy Moth through an typhoon in the
orient when he turned up at the wrong hangar to berth it. He reasoned
that it was designed to fly at the same airspeeds it was threatened
with.

The Gypsy Moth "flew" at about 6 knots soaking wet. Nice try.

You might want to consider /why/ Chichester chose the names "Gypsy Moth
II", "Gypsy Moth III" and "Gypsy Moth IV" for his yachts, with especial
reference to what "Gypsy Moth" might have been to him

http://www.gileschichestermep.org.uk...chester_cv.htm

Refers. Specifically:

"In 1929 Francis Chichester made the second solo flight to Australia; in
1931, the first solo flight across the Tasman Sea from East to West in his
Gypsy Moth aeroplane fitted with floats.

Awarded the Johnson Memorial Trophy for his epic flight, he was the first
holder of this coveted award. In flying solo from New Zealand to Japan he
made the first solo long distance flight in a sea plane. This flight
ended in disaster when he collided with an overhead cable and the plane
crashed in Katsuura Harbour. He was dreadfully injured but was nursed
back to health by a brilliant doctor and kind, sympathetic Japanese
nurses."

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old September 26th 04, 04:34 PM
Frank

Hope the SNB-5P made it. It was one of the planes we used for our photo
training hops in the 50s - with Navy and Marine APs as pilots.

Frank - 34 yrs USN

"Thomas A. Hoffer" wrote in message
I copied this article segment from a local Pensacola newspaper. Looks the
exhibits suffered no damage with minor damage to the building itself.
While
it mentions some damage to static aircraft displays outside, it sounds
like
nothing was totally destroyed. I'm curious if the "significant" damage to
some planes is fixable.

" The National Museum of Naval Aviation was almost unscathed by the storm.
Nichols said there were a few leaks in the roof, but the exhibits inside
were unharmed.

Some of the historic aircraft parked on the tarmac behind the museum were
damaged, however. The canopy of an A-6 was sheared off. A couple of wings
lay on the pavement and some planes, evidently blown off their moorings,
had
collided with other aircraft, causing significant damage."

Old September 27th 04, 10:03 PM
Mike Kanze

The "Secret Navy Bomber" (SNB / UC-45J) was still in service with VT-10
during the late 1960s when I was stooging my way through the SNFO pipeline.
At VT-10 it was used for low-level day VMC nav training over scenic southern
Alabama.

--
Mike Kanze

"It was like being a rat living under a bowling alley."

- Willem Dafoe, commenting on what it was like to sleep in a compartment
just below the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

m...

Old September 28th 04, 01:45 AM
w4okw

I thought it was the "Subsonic Navy Bugsmasher" or Sneeb!

You were doing that while I was scaring cows in South Texas in the Stoof,
S-2F (actually TS-2F, all the ASW gear was removed - I assume to protect it
from an SNA's smooth landing techniques!)

tom
USN Ret

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
The "Secret Navy Bomber" (SNB / UC-45J) was still in service with VT-10
during the late 1960s when I was stooging my way through the SNFO

pipeline.
At VT-10 it was used for low-level day VMC nav training over scenic

southern
Alabama.

--
Mike Kanze

"It was like being a rat living under a bowling alley."

- Willem Dafoe, commenting on what it was like to sleep in a compartment
just below the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

m...

Old September 28th 04, 02:34 AM
Mike Kanze

Several TS-2As remain flying today with the California Division of Forestry
(CDF) as retardant bombers. These are being re-engined with turboprops.

--

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
The "Secret Navy Bomber" (SNB / UC-45J) was still in service with VT-10
during the late 1960s when I was stooging my way through the SNFO

pipeline.
At VT-10 it was used for low-level day VMC nav training over scenic

southern
Alabama.

--
Mike Kanze

"It was like being a rat living under a bowling alley."

- Willem Dafoe, commenting on what it was like to sleep in a compartment
just below the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

m...

Old September 28th 04, 08:40 AM
Dave in San diego

"Mike Kanze" wrote in
:

Several TS-2As remain flying today with the California Division of
Forestry (CDF) as retardant bombers. These are being re-engined with
turboprops.

*Have* been re-engined. I believe the last one got done late last year.