FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets

Old January 9th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets

Larry Dighera wrote:

That might be an adequate number of inputs in most cases, but it's
still going to require equipment manufacturers of stall warning
systems, autopilots, etc to provide the audio outputs in addition to
their horns and bells.

Have you ever used an ANR headphone? Most don't attentuate
frequencies that the various alarms (my gear alarm, the cessna
stall party horn, etc...) much more than the passive headphones
do.

Even engine noises are frequently enhanced by ANR. I kept hearing
a clanking noise in the ANR. I pulled off my headphones for a "better
listen" and couldn't hear it. With the ANR I heard it. On landing
I found my exhaust pipe had busted a weld and was flapping around.

Old January 9th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:34:25 -0500, Ron Natalie
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:

That might be an adequate number of inputs in most cases, but it's
still going to require equipment manufacturers of stall warning
systems, autopilots, etc to provide the audio outputs in addition to
their horns and bells.

Have you ever used an ANR headphone?

Yes. Exclusively since 1996.

Most don't attentuate frequencies that the various alarms (my gear alarm,
the cessna stall party horn, etc...) much more than the passive headphones
do.

Even engine noises are frequently enhanced by ANR. I kept hearing
a clanking noise in the ANR. I pulled off my headphones for a "better
listen" and couldn't hear it. With the ANR I heard it. On landing
I found my exhaust pipe had busted a weld and was flapping around.

Well, that's your experience. It's a data point for sure, but not a
comprehensive study.

If the FAA has found issues as a result of the popularity of ANR
headsets, who am I to dispute it. Certainly most legacy alarms were
tested and approved for use before ANR technology existed, hence my
suggestion for "piping" alarms into the headphone audio in addition to
the ambient cockpit environment.

Old January 9th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ron Natalie wrote:

Even engine noises are frequently enhanced by ANR. I kept hearing
a clanking noise in the ANR. I pulled off my headphones for a "better
listen" and couldn't hear it. With the ANR I heard it. On landing
I found my exhaust pipe had busted a weld and was flapping around.

I was able to hear a starter that was stuck engaged WITH the ANR set on.
The sound was not audible by my companion pilot with a non-ANR set, or
me with the headset removed.
Old January 9th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
InFO

SUBJECT: Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling
Headsets

They are absolutely correct. It's about time someone exposed the myth!

Please send all working ANR headsets, along with a modest $10/set
disposal fee, to me for recycling.

Inoperative sets can be disposed of locally, as they pose no danger.

That is all, please comply...
Old January 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

Please send all working ANR headsets, along with a modest $10/set disposal fee, to me for recycling.

I've Emailed my headset to you. Could you send me a receipt for tax
purposes?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 10th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Montblack

("Jose" wrote)
Please send all working ANR headsets, along with a modest $10/set
disposal fee, to me for recycling.

I've Emailed my headset to you. Could you send me a receipt for tax
purposes?

He won't get your e-mail if he's got ..."Active Noise Reduction" filters
enabled. g

Montblack

Old January 10th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RK Henry

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:09:20 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Somebody wasted my tax dollars coming up with this piece
of "obvious" drivel? Try them on and see what you can
hear?

Phhhhtttt. These guys are pikers, Ron. Hell, at least they're
studying something quasi-useful.

Here's a good one: There are "government studies" going on nationwide
-- to the tune of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars -- trying to
figure out why people are FAT, as if this is some sort of mystery.

Closer to (my) home, let's talk about the hundreds of thousands of
dollars spent on "environmental impact studies" for our runway
extension in Iowa City. As if any one of us couldn't have written a
fact-filled report on any given weekend, describing the effect of
adding 1000 feet of pavement to the end of the runway.

Or, perhaps, we should talk about the University of Iowa's "driving
simulator" that has cost millions, and generated little real science?
Or their ongoing millions in grants to develop "synthetic vision" --
when it's already for sale in ads in every aviation magazine.

The more you look, the sicker you become. It's best not to think about
it.

Hey! They gotta **** away $2.7 TRILLION _somehow_. Gotta keep up the
hysterics about deficits, ya' know!

Buying off voters with illegal pork is a lot cheaper than bribing them with
your own money.

That's why they need user fees. Taxpayers won't put up with such
waste, so they need to get money from people who have no say in the
matter.

RK Henry
Old January 10th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

If the FAA has found issues as a result of the popularity of ANR
headsets,

I don't think it says that anywhere in that INFO. It says us pilots
should go and find out.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 10th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Barrow

wrote:

Hey! They gotta **** away $2.7 TRILLION _somehow_. Gotta keep up the
hysterics about deficits, ya' know!

Buying off voters with illegal pork is a lot cheaper than bribing them
with
your own money.

That's why they need user fees. Taxpayers won't put up with such
waste, so they need to get money from people who have no say in the
matter.

The taxpayers have been putting up with $$$BILLIONS wasted for DECADES. How
do you think we got to a $2.7 Trillion Federal budget (not to mention
another $2.4 trillion on the state and local level)?

With User Fee's and the right arrangement (significantly different than we
have now), we have much more control over the next generations ATC system
development. See Robert Poole's article on this in the November issue of
_Professional Pilot_ magazine.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 10th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The sound was not audible by my companion pilot with a non-ANR set, or
me with the headset removed.

This fits 100% with our experience as well. ANR headphones *enhance*
hearing, and certainly cannot mask the sound of any stall horn/buzzer.
With our Lightspeed Twenty3Gs, we routinely hear things that are
completely inaudible (lost in the noise, actually) without them.

I remember a flight to OSH when we kept hearing a weird whooshing
noise. We were throttled way back to 20 squared, to stay in loose
formation with a slower plane -- something we had rarely done before.
The noise continued, and we simply couldn't figure out what it was.

After a few minutes it finally dawned on us: We were hearing the wind
as it rushed over the fuselage.

Try THAT without ANR headsets!
--
Jay Honeck