A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Gap seals effectiveness study?

Old June 13th 17, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Gap seals effectiveness study?

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 3:29:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
If there is an effect on performance or handling, this will be different from glider to glider. It may do nothing, improve performance or even be needed to prevent flutter. There were a lot of quantitative studies done for various gliders, especially the newer ones. For which type do you need this information?

I have a PIK20E (1985 last year they were made). The manual says nothing about seals. Guys on our forum say that there is an internal fabric seal in the aileron joints. My glider has them on the wings and rudder, but not the elevator.

From a search of Soaring Mag, it seems external mylar curved lip seals date from about that time or later, and became popular later, and common about 10 years later. In fact in February 1986 Dick Johnson was reviewing the new Discus, and actually removed the external mylar seals because he didn't trust them. He wrote: "The ailerons are hinged near their top surfaces and they did have the normal tape seal bridging the span wise gaps between the wing and the aileron leading edges. However, a curved piece of Mylar plastic strip was attached to the wing portion by an adhesive layer at its leading edge. It curved downward in its aft direction to maintain a sliding contact with the aileron top surface. W ith the aileron in neutral the Mylar strips created a small but perhaps significant upward bulge in the critical airfoil profIle. Also, these Mylar strips cannot be observed from the cockpit in flight, and it is possible that airstream suction force over their cambered top surfaces caused the strip trailing edges to ride high and above the aileron, thereby adding drag. For the above reasons the Mylar aileron seals were removed and Ceconite polyester airseals were installed at the
wing root aileron control rod openings."

In a article a few years later about improving the 1-26, I think, Dick wrote that external mylar seals might provide a little improvement.
Old June 13th 17, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I totally understand about sealing a 1-26, I'm co-owner of 002 and have a lot of 1-26 hours (not as many as Ron Schwartz). Wing root seals (internal and external) as well as fabric aileron/rudder/elevator seals are needed. Mylar seals make little to no difference, that was my point.
Old June 18th 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 10:38:22 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
Hi, we see lots of mylar gap seals and read lots of discussion of them. Does anyone know of an engineering study that quantifies their effect on sailplane wings or other wings? Nothing pops up quickly in Google. I'm wondering how much science there is to this practice.

I'm hoping for more than anecdotal comments. Saying that top racers all use them doesn't tell us much because so do almost everyone.

I think the answer depends not only on the airfoil, but also on how you fly.. Sealing will help more if you spend a larger percentage of time at slow speeds where parasitic drag predominates.

Tom
Old June 18th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 10:38:22 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
Hi, we see lots of mylar gap seals and read lots of discussion of them. Does anyone know of an engineering study that quantifies their effect on sailplane wings or other wings? Nothing pops up quickly in Google. I'm wondering how much science there is to this practice.

I'm hoping for more than anecdotal comments. Saying that top racers all use them doesn't tell us much because so do almost everyone.

I think the answer depends not only on the airfoil, but also on how you fly. Sealing will help more if you spend a larger percentage of time at slow speeds where parasitic drag predominates.

Tom

Mylar seals can have two functions: one is to seal leakage, the other is to fair the airfoil contour across the gap. If you believe the marketing literature and tests, laminar flow is being achieved on these airfoils to well behind the gap, and that would not be possible without the fairing. Profile drag reduction from laminar flow is more important at high speeds where profile - and parasitic - drag predominates over induced. On some sailplanes there are rolling seals inside that seal leakage. The mylar seal is installed only for fairing.
Old June 18th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

My personal theory is that mylar seals were invented by the last guy who tried to take 20 year old white duct tape off of an open class glider wing. That's what we used to use on the underside in the old days . . .

Maybe they work. Maybe they don't. But they sure are easier to clean up.
ROY
Old June 18th 17, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 4:24:15 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
My personal theory is that mylar seals were invented by the last guy who tried to take 20 year old white duct tape off of an open class glider wing. That's what we used to use on the underside in the old days . . .

ROY

Doesn't sound like you have had to take 15 year old transfer tape residue off very often!
UH
Old June 19th 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I found this to be an interesting read about the design of the ASW24 sailplane. It includes an evaluation of the effectiveness of sealing the gaps and smoothing the gap with mylar seals.
http://journals.sfu.ca/ts/index.php/...e/view/777/735

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old June 20th 17, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 11:04:05 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 4:24:15 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:

ROY

Doesn't sound like you have had to take 15 year old transfer tape residue off very often!
UH

Not moer often than every 15 Year