A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

V3 at the 2018 convention?

Old October 23rd 17, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default V3 at the 2018 convention?

At 01:46 23 October 2017, Ernst wrote:
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 6:14:15 PM UTC-5, Dave Springford

wrote:
On Sunday, 22 October 2017 16:22:59 UTC-4, SF wrote:

At the risk of offending the JS3 fanboys with the impressive Ventus

results, here goes:

Okay, sell those old ASG 29 / ASW 27-18 and pull out your check

book.

Ernst

One way of losing weight to fit in that teeny weeny cockpit. At least
with the JS3 and ASG-29 - 33? you don't need to be a stick insect or
jockey to fly them.

Old October 24th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:

wrote:

results, here goes:

book.

Ernst

jockey to fly them.

The V 3 appears to still has the same fuselage from the vertical fin forward of the ventus a. Same silly side hinged canopy. They say it has been re-designed, but i suspect the redesign does not include any outside dimension or shape changes. Interesting to note that Jonkers believes airfoils have reach an apex until a new technology, so they believe the gains and low hanging fruit are in the fuselage designs. The Ventus 3 is the oldest fuselage of the three.
Old October 24th 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 5:48:16 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:

wrote:

results, here goes:

book.

Ernst

jockey to fly them.

The V 3 appears to still has the same fuselage from the vertical fin forward of the ventus a. Same silly side hinged canopy. They say it has been re-designed, but i suspect the redesign does not include any outside dimension or shape changes. Interesting to note that Jonkers believes airfoils have reach an apex until a new technology, so they believe the gains and low hanging fruit are in the fuselage designs. The Ventus 3 is the oldest fuselage of the three.

At least the silly side hinged canopy does not burn up the glider.

Richard
Old October 24th 17, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

And in how many of those did the J3 take part in 18m class?
Old October 24th 17, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Jonathan, judging from the huge amount of design effort that JS put into the JS3 fuselage any gains can hardly be considered "low hanging fruit" (!) but you could say that about its reduced wing area and very high max wing loading. It's a safe bet to say that the JS3 will be superb in strong conditions but pilots are going to have to be very conscious of the need to make sure that tow pilots maintain adequate speed.

Old October 24th 17, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

It would be interesting to know why JS went only half-way to fully optimized wing-fuselage intersection that Mu31 has. Maybe they couldn't solve practical problems of ground handling (Mu31 has 3 part wing) or mass production?

The Schempp's "redesigned, roomier a-fuselage" is getting bit tired after so many years of repetition. It has same shape that was introduced with Ventus-a in early 80's. I simply can not understand how they can build roomier cockpit that has identical shape and material thickness of few millimeters. Sure you can redesign everything that's inside fuselage shell but it is still the same tiny fuselage that fits 70% scale pilot.
Old October 24th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

I wonder why S-H put took up panel space for tow cable release. Schleicher has had the tow release on the cockpit sidewall since the early 1990's when the ASW-24 was designed. I know in my glider my pane is completely full, and the older I get the larger screen I want on my computer. I certainly hope if S-H has a follow on to their Quintus they will put the release off the panel but high on cockpit sidewall.

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 4:06:58 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
It would be interesting to know why JS went only half-way to fully optimized wing-fuselage intersection that Mu31 has. Maybe they couldn't solve practical problems of ground handling (Mu31 has 3 part wing) or mass production?

The Schempp's "redesigned, roomier a-fuselage" is getting bit tired after so many years of repetition. It has same shape that was introduced with Ventus-a in early 80's. I simply can not understand how they can build roomier cockpit that has identical shape and material thickness of few millimeters. Sure you can redesign everything that's inside fuselage shell but it is still the same tiny fuselage that fits 70% scale pilot.

Old October 24th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 15:25:39 UTC+1, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I wonder why S-H put took up panel space for tow cable release. Schleicher has had the tow release on the cockpit sidewall since the early 1990's when the ASW-24 was designed. I know in my glider my pane is completely full, and the older I get the larger screen I want on my computer. I certainly hope if S-H has a follow on to their Quintus they will put the release off the panel but high on cockpit sidewall.

The Schleicher (+JS1) release position on the sidewall is definitely the best. I think the knob is on the panel of the smaller Ventus "Sport" cockpit because the folded-up-when-not-in-use airbrake handle would obstruct access to the release which would have to be directly in front of it if it was on the sidewall. At least they have moved it from the dangerous position to the left of the base of the stick in older SH gliders (including the Quintus) - drop the right wing on take off, stick to left, knock hand off or block the release. Critical on a winch launch.

Don't know where the release is going to be on the long awaited larger Ventus "Performance" fuselage - the mock-up cockpit pictures from the AERO exhibition don't seem to show a release but it does have a downwards pointing airbrake handle so hopefully the release will go in the proper place.
Old October 25th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The release and pedal adjustments are below my panel on my Ventus.

Dennis
DC