A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My new book

Old March 3rd 16, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default My new book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Might be interesting to some of the pilots in the American southwest
Old March 3rd 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default My new book

Thanks Gary!
Just bought and downloaded the book to my tablet, looking forward to reading it. Formatting the pictures for tablet use came out very well, flicking through the book is further whetting my appetite. Having fallen in love with flying during the Summer in the American west, this comes just in time to get me ready!
Herb, J7
Old March 3rd 16, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default My new book

Yo Doctor,
I believe I was promised a signed copy for my "flipping the bird" story.
:( JJ
Old March 3rd 16, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)
external usenet poster

Default My new book

Hail Gary Kemp.

Yes he was my glider instructor and yes I have an undying love and appreciation for the guy and yes I am in the book. That said Gary is a true competitor. His love and appreciation for soaring is deeply infectious from back when we landed out a lot and liked it. His "lets go somewhere" from about halfway up the first thermal of the day became a muse. Before cell phones, SPOT, FLARM and hand held computers. When it was just you, a mid performance often wooden or metal glider, a few steam gages and the big playground in the sky. The discussions were generally about all about flying, competing, thermals and the weather. Missing was the latest upgrade discussion for this years wonder screen, shameless self promotion to star status based on an internet connection and uncivil snarky comments posted anonymously between members of the tiny band of brothers. Gary, while not as well known, is cut from the same cloth as the get-it-done generation of Karl, Dick, George and Doug. Guys you know based on their creativity, drive, guts and achievements not their ability master social media. Do not get me wrong I am as appreciative in how far we have come in soaring and society generally as the next guy and it may be just my youth that I miss but Gary's book opens a reminder of a slightly different age and for that I am grateful.

John Seaborn
Old March 4th 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default My new book

I will if I ever publish a hard copy but right now they are only in Ebook (Kindle) Format
Old March 4th 16, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default My new book

How very nice, thanks John.
Old March 4th 16, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default My new book

Thanks for posting that! It took me back to great times learning this
wonderful thing we call soaring. :-)

On 3/3/2016 4:36 PM, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
Hail Gary Kemp.

Yes he was my glider instructor and yes I have an undying love and appreciation for the guy and yes I am in the book. That said Gary is a true competitor. His love and appreciation for soaring is deeply infectious from back when we landed out a lot and liked it. His "lets go somewhere" from about halfway up the first thermal of the day became a muse. Before cell phones, SPOT, FLARM and hand held computers. When it was just you, a mid performance often wooden or metal glider, a few steam gages and the big playground in the sky. The discussions were generally about all about flying, competing, thermals and the weather. Missing was the latest upgrade discussion for this years wonder screen, shameless self promotion to star status based on an internet connection and uncivil snarky comments posted anonymously between members of the tiny band of brothers. Gary, while not as well known, is cut from the same cloth as the get-it-done generation of Karl, Dick, George and Doug. Guys you know based on their creativity, drive, guts and achievements not their ability master social media. Do not get me wrong I am as appreciative in how far we have come in soaring and society generally as the next guy and it may be just my youth that I miss but Gary's book opens a reminder of a slightly different age and for that I am grateful.

John Seaborn

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 4th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default My new book

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-5, gkemp wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=1&*entries*=0

Might be interesting to some of the pilots in the American southwest

Thanks for posting this. Great to read the excerpt provided. Hope sales are worthwhile.
A bit "before my time", but I dealt with other "old timers" (Steve Bennis - owner of the airport I fly at, gave me my PPG & CPG check rides, a few Schweitzer's, etc.) over the decades. Such a wealth of info, glad to see it being saved for future generations.

I don't have a Kindle, but may find a local one to use.....
Old March 4th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

Default My new book

Thank you for writing this Gary.

For those that may not be awa There is a kindle app that works awesomely on android devices. I imagine there's probably one for Apple wanks too.
Old March 4th 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default My new book

I have a kindle app that runs on my desktop HP and Inam sure they are available for laptops, desktops as well as Mobil devices

Gary