What does flying mean?

Old January 9th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default What does flying mean?

In the context of aircraft said to have a "flying tail", what does
"flying" mean? I mean, if the tail isn't flying, neither is the
airplane, right?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 9th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

In the context of aircraft said to have a "flying tail", what does
"flying" mean? I mean, if the tail isn't flying, neither is the
airplane, right?

There are other efforts in this newsgroup to redefine what "flying" means.
;-)

However, I think your example takes its meaning from historic naval and/or
architectural usages, where one "flies" a sail or a superstructure. It
describes a method of suspension, so no motion is required of the item
being "flown".

Neil

Old January 9th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Troll or real?

Real.

I've seen referencs to "such and such an aircraft has a flying tail". I
imagine it means "out of the slipstream", but it sound sort of dumb to
me. Is it more than marketspeak? Does "flying tail" actually mean
something?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 9th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:13:19 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Troll or real?

Real.

I've seen referencs to "such and such an aircraft has a flying tail". I
imagine it means "out of the slipstream", but it sound sort of dumb to
me. Is it more than marketspeak? Does "flying tail" actually mean
something?

Wasn't it "all-flying tail"? And didn't it refer to stabilators? I
took it to mean that instead of changing the chord, as with elevators,
the angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer changed. The
implication might have been that there was less drag, or less change
of drag, that way.

Don

Old January 9th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jose wrote:
Troll or real?

Real.

I've seen referencs to "such and such an aircraft has a flying tail". I
imagine it means "out of the slipstream", but it sound sort of dumb to
me. Is it more than marketspeak? Does "flying tail" actually mean
something?

A flying tail means it isn't a separate stabilizer and elevator. The
Cessna Cardinal has an all flying tail. I believe the Cherokees do also.
Old January 9th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:10:05 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

In the context of aircraft said to have a "flying tail", what does
"flying" mean? I mean, if the tail isn't flying, neither is the
airplane, right?

Jose

Is this a troll? :-)

It means there is no control surface; the entire elevator or rudder
moves to provide control, not just a portion of it, IMO.

Old January 9th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

A flying tail means it isn't a separate stabilizer and elevator. The Cessna Cardinal has an all flying tail. I believe the Cherokees do also.

Thanks. This of course rasises the question of what part of the tail is
"not flying" in a stabilizer/elevator configuration.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 9th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

news
wrote in :

In the context of aircraft said to have a "flying tail", what does
"flying" mean? I mean, if the tail isn't flying, neither is the
airplane, right?

Jose

Is this a troll? :-)

It means there is no control surface; the entire elevator or rudder
moves to provide control, not just a portion of it, IMO.

I think you meant to say the "entire horizontal or vertical stabilizer
moves".

Danny Deger

Old January 9th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jose wrote:
In the context of aircraft said to have a "flying tail", what does
"flying" mean? I mean, if the tail isn't flying, neither is the
airplane, right?

I always understood it to mean a one-piece stabilizer / elevator
assembly, like my Sundowner or many PA-28's. This is opposed to an
elevator hinged to the stabilizer.
Old January 9th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jose wrote:

Thanks. This of course rasises the question of what part of the tail is
"not flying" in a stabilizer/elevator configuration.

Think of how the operation of the trim tab differs on either
configuration.