Oximeters with alarms, data logging, and prices less than $300

Old November 5th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Oximeters with alarms, data logging, and prices less than $300

I can't believe how cheap oximeters are getting. Standard fingertip
models are available for $50; fingertip and wrist units with alarms,
data logging, and software are available for less than $300.

$50 Fingertip unit oximeter (no more excuses for using oxygen without one):

http://www.devonsuperstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=192

$190 fingertip unit with alarms and data logging:

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50e.htm

$270 Wrist unit with alarms and data logging:

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50f.htm

From the website for the above unit:

Aviation Pilots love CMS Model 50-F because it allows them to quickly
assess their SPO2 while flying at high altitudes. Hypoxia can be a
pilot’s worst enemy, and the CMS Model 50-F finger pulse oximeter is
a low-cost product which gives pilots peace of mind.

I already have a wrist unit that I bought several years ago for $500,
but no alarms, no data logging. That $270 unit looks very intriguing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 6th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 5, 3:39*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I can't believe how cheap oximeters are getting. Standard fingertip
models are available for $50; fingertip and wrist units with alarms,
data logging, and software are available for less than $300.

$50 Fingertip unit oximeter (no more excuses for using oxygen without one):

* * * *http://www.devonsuperstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=192

$190 fingertip unit with alarms and data logging:

* * * *http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50e.htm

$270 Wrist unit with alarms and data logging:

* * * *http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50f.htm

*From the website for the above unit:

Aviation Pilots love CMS Model 50-F because it allows them to quickly
assess their SPO2 while flying at high altitudes. Hypoxia can be a
pilot’s worst enemy, and the CMS Model 50-F finger pulse oximeter is
a low-cost product which gives pilots peace of mind.

I already have a wrist unit that I bought several years ago for $500,
but no alarms, no data logging. That $270 unit looks very intriguing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Amazing how cheap they're getting. Now if some bright young engineer
type would just integrate the wrist oximeter with an oxygen system
like EDS, we'd have a real winner. I bought a pulse oxymeter a couple
years ago (around $250) when I discovered I was getting drowsy at
altitude. What I found really surprised me. I was getting too much
oxygen. I don't have an automatic system, just a flow meter and an
oxymiser canula. I've found through experimentation that I need to
set the flow rate at 1000 to 2000 feet LOWER than my altitude in order
to stay alert. A system that would allow you to set a specific O2
saturation level would compensate for differences in individual
physiologies.
Old November 6th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

Amazing how cheap they're getting. Now if some bright young engineer
type would just integrate the wrist oximeter with an oxygen system
like EDS, we'd have a real winner.

About 3 years ago, I suggested that to Pat McLaughlin of Mountain High.
He said they looked into that, but there were problems, particularly (as
I recall) with the stability of the reading. But, maybe the lowering
cost of the units might inspire another look at them. How about an
oximeter that part of the nasal cannula, reading the blood from the
nostril flesh between the two cannula stubs in your nose?

I bought a pulse oxymeter a couple
years ago (around $250) when I discovered I was getting drowsy at
altitude. What I found really surprised me. I was getting too much
oxygen.

How did you determine your were getting too much oxygen?

I don't have an automatic system, just a flow meter and an
oxymiser canula. I've found through experimentation that I need to
set the flow rate at 1000 to 2000 feet LOWER than my altitude in order
to stay alert. A system that would allow you to set a specific O2
saturation level would compensate for differences in individual
physiologies.

Or, maybe "insufficient CO2" was the real problem, and too much oxygen
flow was removing it?

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Nov 6, 9:48*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
Amazing how cheap they're getting. *Now if some bright young engineer
type would just integrate the wrist oximeter with an oxygen system
like EDS, we'd have a real winner.

About 3 years ago, I suggested that to Pat McLaughlin of Mountain High.
He said they looked into that, but there were problems, particularly (as
I recall) with the stability of the reading. But, maybe the lowering
cost of the units might inspire another look at them. How about an
oximeter that part of the nasal cannula, reading the blood from the
nostril flesh between the two cannula stubs in your nose?

*I bought a pulse oxymeter a couple
years ago (around $250) when I discovered I was getting drowsy at
altitude. *What I found really surprised me. *I was getting too much
oxygen. *

How did you determine your were getting too much oxygen?

After getting the oxymeter I checked my % on the ground and found I
was 'normal' at 98%. When I got drowsy at altitude, I showed 99% (max
reading) on the oxymeter. When I reduced the oxy flow and my
saturation dropped to 97 - 98%, I got much better. I've repeated the
experiment dozens times with consistent results.

Old November 6th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 5, 3:39*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I can't believe how cheap oximeters are getting. Standard fingertip
models are available for $50; fingertip and wrist units with alarms,
data logging, and software are available for less than $300.

$50 Fingertip unit oximeter (no more excuses for using oxygen without one):

* * * *http://www.devonsuperstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=192

$190 fingertip unit with alarms and data logging:

* * * *http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50e.htm

$270 Wrist unit with alarms and data logging:

* * * *http://www.semedicalsupply.com/cms-50f.htm

Yes, but is the logger IGC approved?

Digital airspace data question -- any FAA data gurus out there? Tuno Piloting 2 December 27th 07 05:06 PM
Pulse Oximeters Dan Piloting 4 January 3rd 07 02:06 AM
Flight Data recorders on a 757 - What data? Al Dykes General Aviation 0 January 1st 07 05:09 PM
Logging oil changes [email protected] Owning 46 November 18th 04 01:35 PM
Logging again Doug Instrument Flight Rules 10 September 17th 03 02:38 AM