brain shuts down with engine

Old September 23rd 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave J

Default brain shuts down with engine

I'm having an embarrassing problem. My brain seems to shut down lately
as soon as the key is out of the ignition. It's little things, like
leaving my kneeboard (with gas card) or charts in the airplane,
forgetting to completely tie down the aircraft, forgetting to properly
fill out club paperwork, etc.

It's all getting embarrassing, and I'm starting to get a little
nervous. So far, I have not done anything stupid in the air -- that I
know of -- but, I do wonder if I will.

A possible factor is that I'm flying much less than I used to, always
alone, and usually with very tight time constraints.

Any advice? Does this happen to anybody else? How do you stay focused
until your outside the gate?

Old September 23rd 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Jacobowitz

On Sep 22, 8:26*pm, "Tim" wrote:

Use a check list?

An obvious enough answer, but a decent one. My objection is that it
feels like a slippery slope. Will it lead to a getting dressed
checklist, making dinner checklist, etc? :-)

Old September 23rd 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Making a checklist checklist?

My problem is forgetting to look at the checklist!

Old September 23rd 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Dave J wrote:
I'm having an embarrassing problem. My brain seems to shut down lately
as soon as the key is out of the ignition.

Take up soaring? :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 23rd 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
David Jacobowitz wrote:

On Sep 22, 8:26*pm, "Tim" wrote:

Use a check list?

An obvious enough answer, but a decent one. My objection is that it
feels like a slippery slope. Will it lead to a getting dressed
checklist, making dinner checklist, etc? :-)

I made a "before leaving the airport" checklist after a couple of stupid
episodes of forgetfulness, including one where I forgot to put my
batteries on charge (not good for a sailplane that can't charge them in
flight!). It's very short, just five items. 1: forget anything in
plane/trailer/on ramp? 2: batteries on charge? 3: big hangar door
properly closed? 4: little hangar door locked? 5: bags in car?

Works well, haven't had any major problems since.

So far it has not led to a "getting dressed" checklist, but I won't rule
out the possibility.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old September 23rd 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Mike Ash wrote:
David Jacobowitz wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:26*pm, "Tim" wrote:

Use a check list?

An obvious enough answer, but a decent one. My objection is that it
feels like a slippery slope. Will it lead to a getting dressed
checklist, making dinner checklist, etc? :-)

I made a "before leaving the airport" checklist after a couple of stupid
episodes of forgetfulness, including one where I forgot to put my
batteries on charge (not good for a sailplane that can't charge them in
flight!). It's very short, just five items. 1: forget anything in
plane/trailer/on ramp? 2: batteries on charge? 3: big hangar door
properly closed? 4: little hangar door locked? 5: bags in car?

Works well, haven't had any major problems since.

So far it has not led to a "getting dressed" checklist, but I won't rule
out the possibility.

Don't laugh. If I have a "grownup" meeting the next day (e.g. job
interview, high-level managers meeting, vendor meeting, etc) I lay
out all the clothes so I won't miss something in the morning when
I'm not terribly coherent. I speak from experience....One day, many
years ago, I had a very important client meeting. Forgot to grab my
blazer and spent the day feeling under-dressed....

Never again.

Old September 23rd 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix[_2_]

In article ,
"Tim" wrote:

"Dave J" wrote in message

I'm having an embarrassing problem. My brain seems to shut down lately
as soon as the key is out of the ignition. It's little things, like
leaving my kneeboard (with gas card) or charts in the airplane,
forgetting to completely tie down the aircraft, forgetting to properly
fill out club paperwork, etc.

It's all getting embarrassing, and I'm starting to get a little
nervous. So far, I have not done anything stupid in the air -- that I
know of -- but, I do wonder if I will.

A possible factor is that I'm flying much less than I used to, always
alone, and usually with very tight time constraints.

Any advice? Does this happen to anybody else? How do you stay focused
until your outside the gate?

Use a check list?

That's what I did. All the way out to the parking lot.

I didn't miss closing any flight plans after that, at least.
Old September 23rd 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix[_2_]

In article
,
David Jacobowitz wrote:

On Sep 22, 8:26*pm, "Tim" wrote:

Use a check list?

An obvious enough answer, but a decent one. My objection is that it
feels like a slippery slope. Will it lead to a getting dressed
checklist, making dinner checklist, etc? :-)

Ask yourself that in a decade or three.

Might need a checklist to make sure you don't forget...
Old September 23rd 09, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C Gattman[_3_]

On Sep 22, 8:22*pm, Dave J wrote:
I'm having an embarrassing problem. My brain seems to shut down lately
as soon as the key is out of the ignition. It's little things, like
leaving my kneeboard (with gas card) or charts in the airplane,
forgetting to completely tie down the aircraft, forgetting to properly
fill out club paperwork, etc.

Well, some things are an inconvenience and others are safety related,
and the latter is what needs the most attention. The checklist is
obvious, but, a broader measure would be to remember that you're
having the problem and to develop habits to mitigate it.

I have a similar problem which is that I forget something once in
awhile, and so I'm usually paranoid that I'm forgetting something so I
waste several minutes checking and rechecking the cockpit. I tell
myself it's better that than leaving the master switch on or
forgetting a tie-down. Here's an idea:

Organize your postflight and make it a routine. Your shutdown
checklist will be stuff like the master switch, avionics master,
radios, control lock, keys... Get out and tie down the plane for
safety. (Stretch legs.) Then do your paperwork; Hobbes, tach,
whatever. Check under and behind the seats as you exit and on the
dashboard, then do your postflight walkaround. You know you've tied
down the airplane and put the pitot sock on, but, you're also looking
for obvious stuff like missing fuel caps, low tires, oil leaks.

Finally, after you've done your walkaround, check the cockpit one last
time and make sure everything is secured and that you have all of your
stuff.

Always do it in that order: Panel checklist, tiedown, paperwork,
cockpit check, walkaround, cockpit. Make it a ritual.

If you're like me, you'll get to the gate and turn around again just
to make sure. :

-c
CFI, Troutdale, Oregon