Going through ATL

Old March 4th 04, 10:12 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"john smith" wrote in message

If you have flown to a NASCAR race, you are missing a mini-AirVenture
opportunity.
I went to Taladega four years ago. There is segregation by "heavy-iron"
and everything else. Heavy iron is 20-25% of what is on the field. Heavy
iron gets the paved ramp space, everything else gets the turf.

[snip good story]

I remember much the same after the Indianapolis 500 many years ago.

Old March 4th 04, 10:15 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
The instant I read that Chip, a whole host of PMS / NOW scenarios

thundered
through my head... I'm still snickering typical male misogynist pig
reaction:

Anyway, I have been worked by some sharp lady controllers over the

years...
Skill doesn't depend upon gender...

IIRC, tests have show that women are better at such tasks then men. Also,
IIRC, FlightSafety (?) did tests on men vs. women pilots; women were better
at handing the plane, but men were better at emergency procedures. Why might
that be?

Old March 4th 04, 10:25 PM
Newps

There is a guy working the ATL approach control that is just
incredible.

Which is the direct opposite of what happens in Vegas any time a cloud
passes by. This week, several times, there were ground delays into
Vegas. Air Shuttle, an America West little guy that flys RJ's, was
given wheels up times of 90 minutes after the proposed time. When I
called flow to find out what was going on he said it was due to low
ceilings. He said to hold on while he pulled up the current weather, I
also pulled it up as he did. The current METAR was 40SCT 60BKN 10 -R.
With 4 runways the best they can do in these horrible conditions is to
land 32 airplanes an hour. All of us on frequency had a good laugh
about the putz's running LAS airspace. Except the Air Shuttle crew, who
now couldn't leave until 12:10 am.

Old March 5th 04, 06:51 AM
Chip Jones

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Capt.Doug" wrote:
Why is it that the lady controllers with the sweetest voices
turn out to be butt ugly?

When I visited ZTL a few years ago, all three lady controllers I met
were hotties. Now, every time I talk to a female ZTL controller I get a
warm feeling.
--

Yep, ZTL has some absolutley drop-dead gorgeous, kick-ass, sweet talking
female controllers. They give good heading too. :-)

Chip, ZTL

Old March 5th 04, 03:59 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

That's odd. A few weeks ago (before my recent checkride!) my CFI and went
through the Class B with no problem. We got permission on the first try and
were vectored right over downtown and then right over the airport.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPSEL
"It's a license to learn."

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message
"Chip Jones" wrote in message And just think, as good as he was, the

best
three controllers at Atlanta Approach are all women. No kidding.

Why is it that the lady controllers with the sweetest voices turn out to

be
butt ugly?

Unfortunately there are bad eggs in every crowd. I was ferrying a Caravan
into PDK from the southeast a few months back. When I asked the controller
for clearance through the class Bravo, he replied that they never give VFR
clearances to anyone. He stated that ATL was the busiest airport in the
country and that I shouldn't even think about it, ever. He came across as
arrogant. I replied that it would have been nice if he had made that known
before I had to blow out my passenger's ears in a rapid descent. He

replied,
"Remain clear of the Class B".

That didn't sit well with me. However I am humble, shy, and bashful. So, I
told him I wasn't from the area and had no knowledge of the local
traditions. I was from Miami, which has more operations per runway than

ATL
and I routinely fly in there VFR. Then I asked if perhaps that was because
the MIA controllers were better.

D.

Old March 5th 04, 04:14 PM
Tony Cox

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message
When I asked the controller
for clearance through the class Bravo, he replied that they never give VFR
clearances to anyone. He stated that ATL was the busiest airport in the
country and that I shouldn't even think about it, ever.

So that'd be in the AFD then, right?

Old March 6th 04, 05:15 AM
Big John

Tom

Have you gone shopping with a woman? They can't make up their minds.

A man goes and buys and leaves.

Jumping into the air.

In an emergency, women have to 'shop around' and waste time.

Men just look at the problem and take action to fix it.

Big John

Yes hon, I know you made the couch up for me to sleep on tonight (.

Old March 6th 04, 05:45 AM
Chip Jones

"Kevin Chandler" wrote in message
I will be flying in 4A7.

I will be returning to Dayton Ohio, Dayton-Wright Brother airport (MGY).

Kevin, I'll snag a copy of the ATC race procedures for this year and try to
remember to post them here for you (and others). We have some specific
procedures in play for this race that are pretty complicated, and which
formalize how Atlanta Approach and Atlanta Center will deal with race
departures. That race always ends during our busy Sunday departure push off
of Hartsfield. Throw in a good VFR day and we will be sunk. And of course
we don't have the staffing to add extra people to handle the workload like
we used to, so service will not be nearly as good as it should.

If I were wanting an IFR, I'd not count on getting a pop-up until I was well
north of Atlanta, like 100 miles north. You will hear the freq congestion
on Atlanta Departure 126.97 and 121.0, and it will be just as bad on Atlanta
Center 133.1 (where you will want to be about 40 north of ATL). Getting
into the system IFR would be easier on the ground during this time frame.
If you file an IFR and depart VFR, you may not get a clearance due to
workload on any of those three freqs. You may not even be able to get a
word in edgewise for VFR F/F if it is super busy. There will be a temp
tower in place at 4A7 and I don't believe that you will get much of more of
a departure delay for IFR launch than you will get for a VFR launch
depending on how you stand in the taxi que.

What will you be flying? I should be working (ARTCC North Departure on
133.1), from the ground up to FL230 about 35-40 north of Atlanta and then
all the way to Kentucky.

Regards,

Chip, ZTL

Old March 6th 04, 05:22 PM

I'm based at PDK which is under one of the ATL class B airspace shelfs. I
did all my training and all of my flying since then at PDK and have a lot of
experience tlking to ATL approach and center. The controllers are very
friendly. I have never been denied clearance through the class B even on
time when we have had big sporting events like the NASCAR race, the world
series, or the SEC championship. If it is really busy do expect to wait at
times. However, I have never had to wait longer than 4 to 5 minutes for a
clearance (and that was the day before thanksgiving when it is really busy).

" wrote in message
I will be flying down to the NASCAR race in Atlanta on March 14th. For
those of you who have flown out of races, it is a pain in the butt to get

an
IFR clearance and get out of the airport quickly. By far, the best way is
to take off VFR and try to file and get a clearance in the air. The

airport
is under the class B veil and is due south of ATL. I want to go

northbound.
For pilots familiar with the area, what are my chance that I could get
permission to go through class B airspace and go directly over the airport
(6500 MSL) or am I more than likely not going to get clearance into class

and have to work around the city? Are the folks at ATL approach pretty
friendly or just too busy to concern themselves with me?

Advise from people familiar with ATL approach is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old March 7th 04, 05:08 AM
Jens Krueger

Chip Jones wrote:

Well, two things are going on in Atlanta-land. First of all

Chip,

this is very interesting reading, esp. since Pilots rarely getting a
picture of what's going on at ATC.

Thanks for sharing.

Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.