Going through ATL

Old March 2nd 04, 05:07 AM

Default Going through ATL

I will be flying down to the NASCAR race in Atlanta on March 14th. For
those of you who have flown out of races, it is a pain in the butt to get an
IFR clearance and get out of the airport quickly. By far, the best way is
to take off VFR and try to file and get a clearance in the air. The airport
is under the class B veil and is due south of ATL. I want to go northbound.
For pilots familiar with the area, what are my chance that I could get
permission to go through class B airspace and go directly over the airport
(6500 MSL) or am I more than likely not going to get clearance into class B
and have to work around the city? Are the folks at ATL approach pretty
friendly or just too busy to concern themselves with me?

Advise from people familiar with ATL approach is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old March 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
PhyrePhox

Old March 2nd 04, 06:30 PM

On a normal day, your chances would be pretty good. However, things get
busy after races. If there is a lot of traffic leaving Griffin or Falcon
field, the controllers may be a bit busy to deal with another VFR flight
through the corridor.

KB

Old March 2nd 04, 06:34 PM
Darkwing Duck

"PhyrePhox" wrote in message

There is a guy working the ATL approach control that is just
incredible. I was flying in there one night on United and listening
in on channel 9 as he kept calling out flights and vectors one after
the other never missing a beat. When we turned base I looked out the
window and there must have been close to 100 other planes in the
pattern behind us heading for both runways.

I can remember thinking, how does he keep everybody straight in his
head? It was very cool.

Paul Davis

Did he sound like Billy Bob Thornton?

Old March 3rd 04, 06:40 AM
Mike Weller

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:13:37 GMT, john smith wrote:

wrote:
I will be flying down to the NASCAR race in Atlanta on March 14th.

My recommendation:
Get the direct dial (866) number for the AFSS that serves ATL.
Ask the briefer for the telephone number for the ATL Approach Watch Desk.
Call the Watch Desk and discuss the matter with them directly.

Whew, what a breath of fresh air. You said that so well.

Bar none, when I've called the facility supervisor when I felt a
little bit unclear about something like that, I got almost royal
treatment. It seems to me that the supervisors are actually human and
enjoy a little bit of stretching to help a pilot out.

Mike Weller

Old March 3rd 04, 01:01 PM
Dennis O'Connor

That's wonderful...
Now, how is the average pilot supposed to know that there is such a thing as
an 'Approach Watch Desk'? Or, that FSS is the part of the system which has
the phone numbers for 'supervisors' identified by this internal jargon
within ATC? Where in the AIM is this information contained? How many CFI
or CFII folks give their students this specific information?

Rhetorical questions to make a point...
denny

Old March 3rd 04, 02:25 PM
john smith

I cannot remember how or when I first learned about such things, but I
do know that I learned about it within five years of obtaining my PPC.
It was either when I was working on my IR or doing research on
airspace.Flight Service has many numbers of intererst, so they will give
you, some they won't. They can contact any Customs officer in their area
24/7.

One of the real interesting things I have ever seen was/(is) the front
wall of the San Juan PR FSS.They have the names and telephone numbers
for probably every aviation related contact in the Caribbean affixed to
it. The letters and numbers are large enough to clearly read from the
back of the room.

Old March 4th 04, 03:35 AM
Chip Jones

" wrote in message
I will be flying down to the NASCAR race in Atlanta on March 14th. For
those of you who have flown out of races, it is a pain in the butt to get

an
IFR clearance and get out of the airport quickly. By far, the best way is
to take off VFR and try to file and get a clearance in the air. The

airport
is under the class B veil and is due south of ATL. I want to go

northbound.
For pilots familiar with the area, what are my chance that I could get
permission to go through class B airspace and go directly over the airport
(6500 MSL) or am I more than likely not going to get clearance into class

and have to work around the city? Are the folks at ATL approach pretty
friendly or just too busy to concern themselves with me?

Advise from people familiar with ATL approach is appreciated.

1. What airport are you flying into? Sounds like 4A7, which is literally
right at the racetrack.

2. When you depart, what airport are you flying back to?

Chip, ZTL

Old March 4th 04, 03:39 AM
Chip Jones

"PhyrePhox" wrote in message

There is a guy working the ATL approach control that is just
incredible. I was flying in there one night on United and listening
in on channel 9 as he kept calling out flights and vectors one after
the other never missing a beat. When we turned base I looked out the
window and there must have been close to 100 other planes in the
pattern behind us heading for both runways.

I can remember thinking, how does he keep everybody straight in his
head? It was very cool.

And just think, as good as he was, the best three controllers at Atlanta
Approach are all women. No kidding.

Chip, ZTL