Push to Talk Switch

Old December 21st 04, 10:47 AM
Jackal24

Default Push to Talk Switch

I need to get a push to talk switch for the Cessna's I rent now. I have
noticed that they are very expensive for what they are (a switch). Is it
legal to build my own from Radio Shack type parts? If so, does someone have
the specs?

Tyson
Old December 21st 04, 12:04 PM
Kyle Boatright

You can buy one from Sporty's for ~$20... It even comes with the cords, so
you can plug it right in to your intercom.

My understanding is that you could build one from Radio Shack parts, since
the plug-in PTT switches are not FAA certified (nor are headsets, for that
matter).

Old December 21st 04, 04:48 PM
Don Hammer

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:47:31 -0000, Jackal24 wrotD:

I need to get a push to talk switch for the Cessna's I rent now. I have
noticed that they are very expensive for what they are (a switch). Is it
legal to build my own from Radio Shack type parts? If so, does someone have
the specs?

Tyson

By the time you buy the parts, you are better off buying one. In
answer to your question, it doesn't have to be a certified part. All
a transmit switch does is ground the key line on the radio.

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 21st 04, 08:35 PM
Cockpit Colin

By the time you buy the parts, you are better off buying one. In
answer to your question, it doesn't have to be a certified part. All
a transmit switch does is ground the key line on the radio.

I can't speak for all portable PTTs, but the ones I've bought actually have
2 switches - one to key the transmitter, and one that connects the
microphone (I cut the former so that passengers have to press the PTT to
talk over the intercom - cuts the noise down considerably when the cheap and
nasty squelch control keys all 4 mics at once

Old December 21st 04, 09:15 PM
Gumby

Jackal24 wrote:
I need to get a push to talk switch for the Cessna's I rent now. I
have noticed that they are very expensive for what they are (a
switch). Is it legal to build my own from Radio Shack type parts? If
so, does someone have the specs?

Lemme get this straight. You can afford to fly but you're too cheap to buy a
under $50 PTT? Bwhahahahahahaha.

--
I'm Gumby dammit!

Old December 21st 04, 11:23 PM
Jackal24

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

"Jackal24" wrote in message
I need to get a push to talk switch for the Cessna's I rent now. I
have
noticed that they are very expensive for what they are (a switch). Is
it legal to build my own from Radio Shack type parts? If so, does
someone have
the specs?

Tyson

The cheapest one I saw on their website was $60 something. Please give me
a link.

Tyson
Old December 21st 04, 11:24 PM
Jackal24

"Gumby" wrote in
:

Jackal24 wrote:
I need to get a push to talk switch for the Cessna's I rent now. I
have noticed that they are very expensive for what they are (a
switch). Is it legal to build my own from Radio Shack type parts? If
so, does someone have the specs?

Lemme get this straight. You can afford to fly but you're too cheap to
buy a under $50 PTT? Bwhahahahahahaha.

I can afford a $50 PTT, but why pay $50 when it is not worth that? I
don't pay $25 for a candy bar, do you?

Tyson
Old December 21st 04, 11:48 PM
Bill Denton

But how much is a reliable switch worth when you're truckin' through a Class
B and all hell breaks lose?

"Jackal24" wrote in message
"Gumby" wrote in
:

Old December 22nd 04, 02:24 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jackal24 wrote:

The cheapest one I saw on their website was $60 something. Please give me
a link.

Anytime someone mentions Sporty's, you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.
How about $12.95? Part number 11-12100 at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
CVBreard

But how much is a reliable switch worth when you're truckin' through a Class
B and all hell breaks lose?

In addition to the built-in PTT switch on the 172 I rent (with my Dave Clark
headset), the plane has a standard hand-held mike installed.

I also carry my own hand-held mike in the bottom of my headset bag, giving me 3
mikes.

Talk about 'belt and suspenders'.... :-)