Life is horribly, horribly unfair

Old August 8th 03, 01:54 PM
Rosspilot

Default Life is horribly, horribly unfair

I am now so glad that I learned to fly and have my own humble little
airplane. It makes a difference. I think it really does.

Indeed it does. Your story reinforces my long-standing belief that life turns
on the thinnest of dimes, and that when your time comes, it won't matter if you
are crossing the street in front of your own house or flying your airplane IFR
to minimums.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 8th 03, 02:55 PM
Peter R.

Neal ) wrote:

A good friend of mine, who graduated at the top of his class from the
Air Force Academy, proudly served his country flying F16s and training
new jet pilots for many years, and who had been flying big iron for a
major airline since he left the service, just lost his life in a
senseless automobile crash in Salt Lake City.

You have my condolences on what will be a difficult mourning period for you
and the surviving family of your friend.

--
Peter

Old August 9th 03, 04:20 AM
Jay Honeck

I cried, Gene. I'm so sorry.

Keep flying -- she's up there, somewhere.
--
Jay

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Knew a lady. She was a friend for 8 years and a fiancee for 8 days.
Left my house and 10 minutes later was dead. Lost control of her SUV
in a sudden hail storm. It happens so suddenly. The times we flew are
such precious memories.
--
A Special Angel - http://pad39a.com/sheila/
Because I fly, I envy no one.

Old August 9th 03, 05:28 AM
Peter R.

Gene Seibel wrote:

Knew a lady. She was a friend for 8 years and a fiancee for 8 days.
Left my house and 10 minutes later was dead. Lost control of her SUV
in a sudden hail storm. It happens so suddenly. The times we flew are
such precious memories.
--
A Special Angel - http://pad39a.com/sheila/

A very moving tribute, Gene.

Sometimes one forgets that behind each of these names here is a person
with complex experiences, great loves, and painful losses.

--
Peter

Old August 9th 03, 09:45 PM
Jack Allison

My condolences Neal. It sounds like we've all lost a great guy, even for
those of us who never knew your friend.

Carpe diem folks.

Unexpected bad sh*t can happen to you at anytime without warning and
thru no fault of your own.

How many times are you alive? Only once? That's right.

I am now so glad that I learned to fly and have my own humble little
airplane. It makes a difference. I think it really does.

Well said man. A chance to fly really does make a difference in life.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 10th 03, 04:40 PM
Jay Honeck

Tuesday my father died of a heart attack. He was 82 years old and we had
over the years known that some day he would not be with us. That still
didn't stop the pain. I have yet to make it through a day without crying.

I know it's little consolation at this point, but you received the gift of
eight more years with your Dad than I had with mine. Eight years is enough
time to go all the way through high school *and* college -- no small gift.

I trust you used this "extra" time wisely.

In the ten years since my Dad flew home, (and the four years since my Mom
joined him) I've learned that every moment is precious. Good luck to you,
and my condolences on your loss.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 10th 03, 05:00 PM
rkane33

Thanks for the kind words, Jay.

The last eight years with my father were well spent. My sister was born when
he was 48 years old. He always worried if he would live long enough
to see her graduate from High School. He did, and later got to see her
graduate from UCLA, then get married. He didn't get to see a grandchild
though.

Clear skys, John

Old August 10th 03, 05:27 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Tuesday my father died of a heart attack. He was 82 years old and we had
over the years known that some day he would not be with us. That still
didn't stop the pain. I have yet to make it through a day without crying.

I know it's little consolation at this point, but you received the gift of
eight more years with your Dad than I had with mine.

and thirteen more than I had with mine. In my case, it was more numbing
than tearful.

George Patterson
They say that nothing's certain except death and taxes. The thing is,
death doesn't get worse every time Congress goes into session.
Will Rogers
Old August 10th 03, 06:08 PM
Bob Fry

It's true, life is unfair. But there's another side to that
unfairness...what I say below is by no means meant to detract from the
tragedy the original poster wrote about, but simply to remind me, and
others, of the flip side of life's unfairness.

Life IS unfair. Why am I living in one of the best times in history
(early 21st century), in one of the better countries (USA), in one of
the best areas in that country (Northern California), with a good job
and great pastime--flying, and a fun flying machine--Aircoupe?

Sure, others make more money, and have yet better homes and airplanes,
but realistically, I'm better off than 99.9% of people in recorded
history. Why me? I didn't do anything to deserve any of this, just
like to guy described in the original post didn't deserve his sudden
death. Stupid, random stuff happens for better and for worse, and
it's a mistake to try to explain it, cause and effect.

Enjoy the good when it comes, knowing bad stuff is not far behind.
Endure the bad, knowing that good stuff will happen. I'm enjoying my
little airplane now and at the same time I can sorrow with the poster
about his loss. Such is life. For all of us, enjoy what you have
now, even knowing that time will take it away and death is our fate in
the end.

Neal writes:

We have one less pilot now. :-(

[. . .]
Life is not fair at all.

[. . .]

Old August 10th 03, 07:13 PM
Newps

Bob Fry wrote:

Life IS unfair. Why am I living in one of the best times in history
(early 21st century), in one of the better countries (USA), in one of
the best areas in that country (Northern California), with a good job
and great pastime--flying, and a fun flying machine--Aircoupe?

(Cue Mr. Hotze for his miserable outlook on life and his it's all your
fault USA attitude)