A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ADS-B why

Old January 25th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 11:58:40 PM UTC+3, wrote:
All you need is to be able to see him coming a mile or two out, and make a 90 degree turn and get out of the way.

Darryl is right. It's tricky to know at those closure rates on which side/above/below he will pass even if you see him coming from several miles away. not a fun situation.

If you fly straight and level for a few seconds and he's not changing position in the canopy -- and ESPECIALLY if he's on your horizon and that's not changing -- then it's time to do something different.

You can probably lose 500 ft faster than you can do anything else. And if it still looks dodgy that will also give you speed and energy to try something else -- climb again, turn to one side etc.
Old January 26th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 7:49:16 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
All you need is to be able to see him coming a mile or two out, and make a 90 degree turn and get out of the way.

Darryl is right. It's tricky to know at those closure rates on which side/above/below he will pass even if you see him coming from several miles away. not a fun situation.

If you fly straight and level for a few seconds and he's not changing position in the canopy -- and ESPECIALLY if he's on your horizon and that's not changing -- then it's time to do something different.

You can probably lose 500 ft faster than you can do anything else. And if it still looks dodgy that will also give you speed and energy to try something else -- climb again, turn to one side etc.

I can't tell if you seriously believe this is likely to be effective, if you are advocating not equipping with transponders or you are talking about a last ditch effort should transponders/SSR/TCAS fail.

A fast jet closing on you at 300+ knots, possibly climbing or descending (very likely in areas like Reno), you can't guess wether it's going to go below or above you or what and you can't tell what action the jet will take if the crew sees you or it gets a TCAS RA (if you do have a transponder). Your best bet in these circumstances is install and use a transponder and communicate with ATC, and when all that fails you hopefully get to fall back and rely on TCAS II doing its thing and hopefully the flight crew quickly following the RA.

If you don't have a transponder you should not be flying in these very busy terminal areas.

And sure if all that fails for some reason you'll try to do whatever you can however ineffective it may be. Even a TCAS II RA is going to divert a fast jet well above or below you before I expect most glider pilots will want to try to take emergency action.

If the though is you don't need a transponder in these sorts of extremely busy areas and having ADS-B In lets you see jet traffic and maybe you can just avoid that, that is absolutely crazy thinking. If people really think that way then I regret the FAA not removing the glider transponder exemption. My experience with glider pilots in the Reno area is that many of them are very responsible and understand the need to use transponders, to work with ATC, etc. PASCO, clubs, FBOs in the area deserve a lot of credit for helping encourage responsible transponder use and cooperation with the ATC.

Old January 26th 17, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B why

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 9:24:15 AM UTC+3, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 7:49:16 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:

I can't tell if you seriously believe this is likely to be effective, if you are advocating not equipping with transponders or you are talking about a last ditch effort should transponders/SSR/TCAS fail.

A fast jet closing on you at 300+ knots, possibly climbing or descending (very likely in areas like Reno), you can't guess wether it's going to go below or above you or what and you can't tell what action the jet will take if the crew sees you or it gets a TCAS RA (if you do have a transponder). Your best bet in these circumstances is install and use a transponder and communicate with ATC, and when all that fails you hopefully get to fall back and rely on TCAS II doing its thing and hopefully the flight crew quickly following the RA.

If you don't have a transponder you should not be flying in these very busy terminal areas.

And sure if all that fails for some reason you'll try to do whatever you can however ineffective it may be. Even a TCAS II RA is going to divert a fast jet well above or below you before I expect most glider pilots will want to try to take emergency action.

If the though is you don't need a transponder in these sorts of extremely busy areas and having ADS-B In lets you see jet traffic and maybe you can just avoid that, that is absolutely crazy thinking. If people really think that way then I regret the FAA not removing the glider transponder exemption. My experience with glider pilots in the Reno area is that many of them are very responsible and understand the need to use transponders, to work with ATC, etc. PASCO, clubs, FBOs in the area deserve a lot of credit for helping encourage responsible transponder use and cooperation with the ATC.

I don't know what you're on, as I've said nothing about flying without appropriate electronics.

However, when it comes down to it, a 737 is flying through a path about 12m high and 35m wide. Your aim is to not be in that path. Watching the angle is the way to know if you have a problem or not. If the angle is not changing then you have a problem. You can make an adjustment vertically far faster than you can make an adjustment horizontally (that's what wings *do*), and in the worst hopefully never happens case of a very near miss you have to adjust by less in the vertical direction as well. It's the obvious choice. Science.