ADS-B why

Old January 9th 17, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default ADS-B why

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 4:49:20 PM UTC-8, WaltWX wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 9:44:24 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:20:26 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have a PowerFlarm and transponder. Ninety percent of my flying is from the Southern Cal operating areas up through the Sierras and typical operating area out of Minden. So while I do pass through a few more trafficked areas, (Cajon& Banning Pass, Tahoe, Reno...etc) the majority of my flight time is with other gliders. I perfectly see transponder equipped and Flarm equipped gliders, why would I want to add the capability of ADS-B out?

If I was regularly operating in LA class B airspace I can see why I would want all the help and broadcast, but for gliders not typically operating in high traffic airspace why the extra cost, space and battery drain?

Flying in the Reno/Tahoe area, it would give Norcal Approach better information. With a transponder only, they are trying to guess what you are doing, often gliders are not moving fast enough to be able to tell on ATC radar. I know this from listening to them. The subtext of these conversations is "there's a glider there wandering around, got no idea what the hell he's doing". With ADS-B out, they would have a much better idea, though they would need to get used to thermalling behavour.

Actually, my experience with NorCal Approach was different. Last Sep 2016 while flying up from Inyokern to Reno, I stopped in a 17.5k msl climb thermal just SE of Carson City. While monitoring NorCal frequency, I inadvertently made a call to my friend Jim Staniforth, thinking I was on 123.3. To my surprise, the NorCal controller called back, identifying me as "Glider N53LK" just as if I was in flight following. He asked me to ident (Trig 22 transponder on code 1202) which I did. Trained and observant controllers already know we are gliders... and with Mode S they have our ID and N-number right on their display (at least this controller did). I was pleasantly surprised ... and pleased... to know that ATC was watching. That makes my purchase and install of the Trig Mode S transponder very worthwhile.

Walt Rogers WX

Oh they know we are gliders. Don't need Mode S (or even mode C) for that, just look for the slow moving target wandering all over the place like a drunken sailor. I fly out of Truckee so I cross the approach into Reno twice on nearly every flight. On occasion I've been close enough to the Southwestm737s to tell you which seats were empty, and who still needed drinks. The controllers have always been helpful when I talk to them. They are pretty good about steering the 737s around us. I am simply suggesting that their job would be a lot easier with more information that they typically lack on gliders.

Old January 9th 17, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:31:56 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Ending up that close to a 737 is exactly why you want ADS-B IN (and OUT). If you can see this guy coming, and it's no surprise, it's not a problem. But if he suddenly shows up, chances are that he or ATC never saw you. With ADS-B IN you are in control and can proactively stay out of the way and not have to rely on ATC or an airline captain's eyeballs to keep you safe.
Old January 9th 17, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I already see that 737 and they see me as I have PowerFlarm and Mode-S transponder.

Old January 9th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 8:05:37 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

I haven't been that close since I put in a transponder, so it's doing its job. But good point about them wanting to talk rather than watch.
Old January 10th 17, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

[...]

Oh bull****. Pilots flying in the Reno area likely do not need any of your crackpot pro-ADS-B hype.

This is an area where transponder use is highly encouraged and PASCO has worked with the FAA to encourage communications/procedures with ATC and where clubs and FBOs tend to be extremely safety/traffic conscious. Following the Hawker 800 midair collision It's the frigging NTSB-poster-child of why gliders is similar areas should be *transponder* equipped.

If you run down that list of things then maybe you can add 1090ES ADS-B Out/In but it won't buy you a lot. ADS-B likely won't let you outmaneuver an airliner, it will help point out where the heavy traffic routes are, but glider pilots flying in the area already likely know those routes. It's ATC keeping that traffic away from gliders (with the use of transponders and radio) and in the worse case TCAS as a backup that is critically important in the area.
Old January 10th 17, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I agree, ATC and local glider ops know jet routes. Where I fly (Middletown, NY) is right under a jet route into Newark airport in NJ. Jets usually come through at 6000'MSL south bound.
Many years ago we had a great soaring season with students getting to 10,000'MSL on thermals, thus above jet traffic. Boston center called our airport and "complained" about glider traffic. Reply back was that we had "right of way" in that airspace.
Now ATC brings jets through above cloudbase on weekends for separation. We teach to look towards the NNE now and then when getting towards cloudbase to look for traffic that wander below clouds.

Our other two concerns is a VOR on the ridge NNW of our site (about 20 miles out) and C5A traffic from Stewart airport east of us (about 20 miles out as well). On weekends, the C5's stay east of a local highway, we tend to stay west unless we're high since they are shooting instrument approaches using the VOR as a steer to final approach.

Similar for HHSC and Corning regional airport.

Bells and whistles are great, but looking outside plus knowing where big fast traffic will likely be is a great start.

My two concerns regarding midairs are someone doing something unexpected in a thermal (bells and whistles are likely too late then) I'm in or flying in the wispies at the bottom of a cloud where the low light and grayness totally hide a glider visually.
Old January 10th 17, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 11:51:53 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Have you actually flown in an A/C with ADS-B? Have you listened to ATC giving traffic advisories to jets flying around gliders? In many areas, you get a warning that there is a glider dead ahead at your altitude, but no minor vectors to deviate to avoid the traffic. Everyone is suppose to look outside and see the traffic when you have a closing speed of 250+ knots.

Just look at what happened with the military midairs with transponder equipped GA planes during the last year. That shows you exactly how effective today's ATC procedures can be.

Finally, your assertion that a glider can't out maneuver a 737 is total BS. What's the turning radius of a 737? It doesn't take much maneuvering to get out of the way of a jet. All you need is to be able to see him coming a mile or two out, and make a 90 degree turn and get out of the way. Kind of hard to do, when he's coming up from behind you and you don't have a clue he's there.
Old January 10th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:19:31 PM UTC+3, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

When they're doing a mile every 6 or 7 seconds? If they're that close when you take action then it's much faster to adjust your altitude up to 500 ft up or down (depending on your initial speed).

You know the jet's altitude much more accurately than it's position or track anyway.
Old January 11th 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:19:31 AM UTC-8, Mike Schumann wrote:

Have you actually flown in an A/C with ADS-B?

No, I personally haven't. Don't see the need.
Right now I'm watching the race at Benalla, VIC.
There are 10 gliders within 1000' of altitude in one thermal near the start line for Open Class.
Mike, please enlighten us as to where the pilots of the 10 ADS-B equipped gliders would be considering ADS-B in this situation, on the scale of fantastic (10) to annoying (0).
Jim