Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

Old January 31st 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
es330td

Default Anyone take an ICOM on a commercial flight?

What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

Old January 31st 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"es330td" wrote in message
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

Well, you didn't say what kind of ICOM. It is probably not on the approved
electronics list (but you know that). These days, there are so many consumer
electronics goodies in the cabin that there is no way the crew can keep track.
A fellow I work with actually got away with operating his ham 2-meter portable
radio on at least one flight. Needless to say: Transmitting on the air bands
from inside the passenger cabin would be a very dumb idea.

Finding and following the correct radio channel would be a problem.

Vaughn

Old January 31st 08, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

es330td wrote in
:

On Jan 30, 9:49*pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"es330td" wrote in message

@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com

[...]

It's an IC-A6, btw.

I wouldn't DARE transmit. I don't even transmit when I'm in my car
when nobody could catch me. In this case I'll be sitting in 1st class
about 10 feet from the pilots. I would be clear enough that the pilot
would have to know it was someone on board.

It shouldn't be too tough to do. I know the departure frequencies of
my airport and my flight number. As long as I can listen while we are
holding short I should be able to find the right one. Once I have
that I just have to listen for frequency changes. I do that myself
when flying so doing it with them shouldn't be any different.

I just realized I'm going to have to get it through security. I doubt
they are going to let me take it on board.

I can't see why not. You could stand a chance of losing it, but I doubt
they would know what it was.
You wouldn't believe the crap I've brought through security....

Bertie
Old January 31st 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
erent.

I just realized I'm going to have to get it through security. I doubt
they are going to let me take it on board.

I can't see why not. You could stand a chance of losing it, but I doubt
they would know what it was.
You wouldn't believe the crap I've brought through security....

When flying commercial several times carrying my flight
bag, including radio, headset etc. I've had no problem
with security.

Old January 31st 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

kontiki wrote in news:Y_hoj.3018$Sa1.2642
@news02.roc.ny:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
erent.

I just realized I'm going to have to get it through security. I

doubt
they are going to let me take it on board.

I can't see why not. You could stand a chance of losing it, but I

doubt
they would know what it was.
You wouldn't believe the crap I've brought through security....

When flying commercial several times carrying my flight
bag, including radio, headset etc. I've had no problem
with security.

Yeah, when I have to deadhead somewhere as pax I usually carry my
headset in my carry on (in case my bag doesn't make it I can still fly)
Pre 9-11, a long time ago, I carried a Very pistol and a giant hunting
knife through. I just forgot I had 'em.
My favorite story regards a friend of mine who was a military chopper
pilot. They stopped at a relatively large commercial field and left the
chopper on the ramp while they went inside for lunch. When they were on
their way back out, security objected to them carrying their .45s out
with them.
"Don't be stupid" my friend said "We're military for God's sake!"
But the moron wouldn't budge. After a bunch of to-ing and fro-ing, my
buddy just said, "Well, I'm going out anyway" The security gaurd sez "I
can't allow that" and my friend replied "Who's gonna stop me? You? I got
a gun, remember? "

And so he did. Never heard a word about it either.

Bertie
Old January 31st 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

es330td wrote:
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

I fly with mine all the time, but I leave it off while onboard. The
radio fits into my bag better without the antenna. I have used it in
the terminal to listen to ground and clearance delivery.

The only time you'll hear the cockpit is if you're on an aircraft with a
comm feed in the entertainment system. The signal inside the aluminum
tube is nearly nil. Holding the radio up to a window, or using an
external antenna will probably get you in trouble as transceivers are
banned in the cabin on any airline I fly.

If you are a licensed pilot, just think of how stupid you'd look if you
got caught violating an FAA reg. If you're instrument rated, the reg is
something that appears on the written, so you'd look even dumber.
Old January 31st 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 30, 7:33*pm, es330td wrote:
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

The question is why would you want to do this. On most flights ATC is
available on the inflight entertainment system. What would happen if
you had a stuck mike ? I will guarantee that if the flight attendants
find that you have anything that looks like it could transmit you will
get some unwanted attention. Why not just sit back, have a couple of
drinks and read car magazines .
FB
Old January 31st 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

F. Baum wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:33 pm, es330td wrote:
What are the odds I can get away with taking my ICOM radio and
listening to the cockpit?

The question is why would you want to do this. On most flights ATC is
available on the inflight entertainment system. \

"Most flights" Hardly.
United is the only one who does this to my knowledge and ATC-on-9
(officially "from the cockpit") is entirely at the captain's
discretion.

Notwithstanding that, the radio and the GPS stay in the flight bag
for the duration of the flight.
Old January 31st 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
es330td

On Jan 31, 7:29*am, B A R R Y wrote:

If you are a licensed pilot, just think of how stupid you'd look if you
got caught violating an FAA reg. *

This is probably the strongest reason to not do it. I don't have my
license yet (working on cross country) so I'm still in the "fascinated
by it all" phase. Although I think it would be interesting just to
track the frequency changes and listen in on the conversations of the
pros, I am not putting my flying career in jeopardy doing something
like this.
Old January 31st 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 31, 6:14*am, Ron Natalie wrote:

The question is why would you want to do this. On most flights ATC is
available on the inflight entertainment system. \

"Most flights" Hardly.
United is the only one who does this to my knowledge and ATC-on-9
(officially "from the cockpit") is entirely at the captain's
discretion.

"Most Flights" Actually. . DAL and NWA do this also. On the bigger
equipment they even have a moving map in the cabin so the Sheep can
follow the progress. The cockpit crew has no control of the inflight
entertainment system (Other than telling the cabin crew to shut it
off).

Notwithstanding that, the radio and the GPS stay in the flight bag
for the duration of the flight.

As they should. Ive had two incidents where pax were suspected of
operating a two way device. Both turned out OK but they provided a
distraction that we just dont need.
Frank