More On "Strategic" Bombing

Old June 12th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default More On "Strategic" Bombing

Which country designed an intercontinental bomber to attack CONUS during WW
II?

Which country actually did bomb CONUS during WW II, and how did they do it?

WDA

end

Old June 12th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"W. D. Allen" wrote in message
Which country designed an intercontinental bomber to attack CONUS during
WW II?

Germany I think, but it was more conceptual than reality..

Which country actually did bomb CONUS during WW II, and how did they do
it?

Japan, but in the form of unmaned balloons...

Old June 12th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

T3 wrote:
"W. D. Allen" wrote in message

Which country designed an intercontinental bomber to attack CONUS during
WW II?

Germany I think, but it was more conceptual than reality..

Which country actually did bomb CONUS during WW II, and how did they do
it?

Japan, but in the form of unmaned balloons...

See:

http://gesswhoto.com/oregon-bombing.html

Rick
Old June 13th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"T3" wrote in message

"W. D. Allen" wrote in message
Which country designed an intercontinental bomber to attack CONUS during
WW II?

Germany I think, but it was more conceptual than reality..

Which country actually did bomb CONUS during WW II, and how did they do
it?

Japan, but in the form of unmaned balloons...

Also, in 1942 the Japanese used a sub launched a seaplane to drop a couple
of bombs near Cape Blanco Oregon in an attempt to start forest fires. I'm
not sure the US even realized the continent had been bombed.

In hindsight, the Japanese would have done far better to send the same
aircraft on a one way to drop a bomb on LA. Imagine the panic and subsequent
reallocation of resources that would have caused. It would have mirrored
Doolittle's raid in that respect.

KB

Old June 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

+
Kyle Boatright wrote:
SNIP:
In hindsight, the Japanese would have done far better to send the same
aircraft on a one way to drop a bomb on LA. Imagine the panic and subsequent
reallocation of resources that would have caused. It would have mirrored
Doolittle's raid in that respect.
KB

Bingo! I was a kid in LA when there was a small panic slightly
lampooned in that epic "1942". Searchlights, sirens, some 90mm ack
ack. ASIR the only damage done was a dud 90 shell that targeted a
private garage up by Hollywood, fortunately dud on impact too.
Enlivened an otherwise dull evening for a couple young boys, my brother
and myself. Think but not sure that the alert was triggered by a Jap
sub shelling an oil service pier up by Summerland (N of Santa Barbara).
24 rounds that hit dirt but nothing else.
Walt BJ

Old June 14th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"WaltBJ" wrote in
oups.com:

+
Kyle Boatright wrote:
SNIP:
In hindsight, the Japanese would have done far better to send the same
aircraft on a one way to drop a bomb on LA. Imagine the panic and
subsequent reallocation of resources that would have caused. It would
have mirrored Doolittle's raid in that respect.
KB

Bingo! I was a kid in LA when there was a small panic slightly
lampooned in that epic "1942". Searchlights, sirens, some 90mm ack
ack. ASIR the only damage done was a dud 90 shell that targeted a
private garage up by Hollywood, fortunately dud on impact too.
Enlivened an otherwise dull evening for a couple young boys, my brother
and myself. Think but not sure that the alert was triggered by a Jap
sub shelling an oil service pier up by Summerland (N of Santa Barbara).
24 rounds that hit dirt but nothing else.
Walt BJ

FYI, that was "1941".

Dave in San Diego