WxWorx flight test

Old September 13th 03, 08:35 PM
Dan Luke

Default WxWorx flight test

Today was a good day for it, as there were CBs in all directions
around Mobile (so, what else is new?). Around the airport, though, it
was scattered cu. with bright sun, a good test for the Sony notebook's
viewability.

The WxWorx receiver slipped neatly into the Cessna's right front map
pocket (about calf level, for those not familiar). I velcro'd the USB
GPS and the WxWorx antenna to the glareshield up at the base of the
windshield and routed the cables down the right side of the
glareshield. The receiver cable goes right to the WxWorx box in the
map pocket. The GPS USB cable goes directly to the pc and the WxWorx
USB cable comes out of the map pocket and also goes to the pc. Power
for the WxWorx receiver comes from the aircraft cigar lighter outlet,
which is conveniently within inches of the map pocket. This sounds
like a nest of snakes, but everything stowed pretty neatly. As far as
actual clutter to deal with goes, I wound up with the little notebook
pc on the right seat with two USB cables connected to it.

My airplane is parked under a metal shelter, and both the GPS and the
WxWorx receiver had trouble getting locked until I taxied clear. By
the time I was through with the runup, all the WxWorx features were
active. I must say it was a near religious experience to be sitting at
the departure end of the runway and seeng less-than-10-minute-old
NEXRAD and lightning strike data within a 60-mile radius. The Sony
screen was splendid - always easily readable no matter what the sun
angle. I took an hour-long flight around the bay, looking out the
windows at boomers of various sizes and watching them being painted on
the WxWorx screen - just too, too cool.

This thing is great. If it was panel mounted, it would be perfect.
Since I don't feel comfortable spending five figures to make that kind
of thing happen, this will do just fine. It's early days, I know, but
right now I am very satisfied indeed.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 17th 03, 12:51 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Thanks for the review, Dan.

I am looking at NavAir using the WxWorx system on a Tosh PDA. Do you think
the screen will be too small? I have flown through enough weather this
summer to try it on a whim, anyway...

Thanks,

Mark

Old September 17th 03, 02:07 AM
Dan Luke

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote:
I am looking at NavAir using the WxWorx system on a Tosh PDA. Do you

think
the screen will be too small?

I dunno, Mark. The WxWorx screen is a "landscape" layout; all the
PDA's I've seen are"portrait." Let us know how it looks.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 17th 03, 02:28 PM
John T

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

...all the PDA's I've seen are"portrait."

Well, that really depends on how you hold the PDA, doesn't it?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old September 17th 03, 02:51 PM
Dan Luke

"John T" wrote:
...all the PDA's I've seen are"portrait."

Well, that really depends on how you hold the PDA,
doesn't it?

Ha! I guess so! All the buttons would be sideways, but so what?

Old September 17th 03, 04:45 PM
John T

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message

Ha! I guess so! All the buttons would be sideways, but so what?

Yeah, but some of the Garmin models allow you to rotate the screen, too.

But the general intent of the PDA screen is portrait mode - even though I
have a couple of apps that set it up in landscape.

Old September 17th 03, 06:01 PM
Dan Luke

"John T" wrote:
Ha! I guess so! All the buttons would be sideways, but
so what?

Yeah, but some of the Garmin models allow you to rotate
the screen, too.

But the general intent of the PDA screen is portrait mode
- even though I have a couple of apps that set it up in landscape.

Now you've got me curious. Next time I run the app, I'll check to see if it
will rotate the view.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 17th 03, 07:53 PM
Jon Carlson

... The WxWorx screen is a "landscape" layout

This is an interesting point. I have a Fujitsu tablet that I use for
JeppView approach plates. Of course, JeppView makes the most sense in
portrait orientation. So would you have to flip the orientations back
and forth? Or does WxWorx skew their window to whatever the long
dimension is? Or would it work in Portrait mode?

Hmmm....

-Jon C.

Old September 18th 03, 01:31 AM
JerryK

Dan,

Great report. Enjoy the unit. Of course now that you got it, the
thunderstorms will die down and you'll have blue skies.:-

A friend of mine just got his unit and reported similar results.
Unfortunately I don't have room for a PC, I usually have people in the right
seat. But maybe I can try the system on a PDA.

jerry

Old September 18th 03, 01:53 AM
Dan Luke

"JerryK" wrote:
Enjoy the unit. Of course now that you got it, the
thunderstorms will die down and you'll have blue skies.:-

The generator I bought has successfully repelled hurricanes - I expect
WxWorx to do the same for CBs.

Unfortunately I don't have room for a PC, I usually have people
in the right seat.

So do I. This will give them something useful to do.

But maybe I can try the system on a PDA.

Let us know how it looks.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM