Regulator/valve for filling struts

Old January 21st 04, 07:01 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Regulator/valve for filling struts

I'd like to get a tank of N2 to keep around to fill my struts. I assume
the welding supply place that will sell me the tank can sell me a regulator
that will get me into the 300-500psi range (right?). Where can I get
the hose with appropriate (schraeder?) valve for the strut end? Am I
looking for something that will thread on, or does it clamp on like a
bicycle pump? With a clamp-on type, how do you avoid being sprayed with
oil and losing pressure as you disconnect?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 21st 04, 02:26 PM
Michelle P

Ben,
These parts are available commercially with the adapters for the hose.
An A&P can get them. They have AN/MS numbers. We were issued them where
I work.
Make sure you read the Maintenance manual for your aircraft. Most Small
GA aircraft strut pressures are below 200 PSI. The strut pressures for
our planes (Turbo-props and Regional Jets) range from 500 to 2000 PSI,
depending on the temperature.
The cost may be prohibitive. The tank will cost $80-150 to buy depending
on the size and the regulator could be up to $400. Leasing a tank could
also be an option.

Hope this helps,
Michelle

Ben Jackson wrote:

I'd like to get a tank of N2 to keep around to fill my struts. I assume
the welding supply place that will sell me the tank can sell me a regulator
that will get me into the 300-500psi range (right?). Where can I get
the hose with appropriate (schraeder?) valve for the strut end? Am I
looking for something that will thread on, or does it clamp on like a
bicycle pump? With a clamp-on type, how do you avoid being sprayed with
oil and losing pressure as you disconnect?

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old January 21st 04, 02:47 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Go talk to an A&P about your ship... There are too many possibilities for a
simple answer... In addition to the tank, you may need a special hand pump
and a regulator, depending on the amount of pressure, fittings, etc., you
need...
We just had a Citation land at our field with the nose strut down on the
frame... The nearest mechanic that serviced Citations had to drive a
hundred miles one way to jack the plane, drop the strut, and replace the
torn seal - on a Sunday, no less... When he got here his nitrogen/pump rig
did not have the exact fitting needed as someone had changed things on this
ship... We basically had to raid three hangars to put together enough AN
fittings to rig a temporary fix, and even then he had to leave a borrowed
valve in the strut to get the ship back to the home field for a strut
overhaul and an AD change of seals... Good thing on our field most of us
are closet mechanics and have odd ball AN fittings, valves, etc., here and
there, or he would have been making another 200 mile round trip, with two
mechanics, and a truck load of equipment... No wonder I can't afford a
jet...
denny

Old January 21st 04, 04:07 PM
Jay Masino

Ben Jackson wrote:
I'd like to get a tank of N2 to keep around to fill my struts. I assume
the welding supply place that will sell me the tank can sell me a regulator
that will get me into the 300-500psi range (right?). Where can I get
the hose with appropriate (schraeder?) valve for the strut end? Am I
looking for something that will thread on, or does it clamp on like a
bicycle pump? With a clamp-on type, how do you avoid being sprayed with
oil and losing pressure as you disconnect?

The end of the hose threads on (not clamp on). It doesn't have anything
to push the shraeder valve open. The tank pressure opens the valve.
When you're done, you turn off the tank valve and start removing the hose.
It'll hiss, but the sudden drop in pressure on the tank side of the valve
closes the valve. You don't lose pressure (or, atleast, a minimal
amount).

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old January 22nd 04, 01:37 PM
Fly

I have an 80 cubic ft N2 bottle that I bought for about $150, refill cost I
don't know yet.
Also, check on a diaphram regulator set that is marketed for the
refrigeration guys, low side is 0-600 psi.
Mine cost $105

Kent Ok

Old January 24th 04, 03:12 AM
John

The high pressure struts use a valve adapter that screws on and then
you screw in a stem that sticks out of the valve adapter to depress
the schrader valve to fill. Then reverse this process to remove.
Result is NO loss of pressure. I think that ATS, and others, sell
these adapters.
Some of the struts have a built in valve that you turn in with a
wrench to inflate and out to seal.