F-8 versus F-4

Old October 10th 05, 02:44 AM
WaltBJ

Guy Alcala wrote:
wrote:

snip

A good Deuce radar was at least as
good as an F4D radar; we could detect jet transports and B52 out as far
as 150 miles over the water, certainly 125 over the Midwestern plains.

snip

Walt, you've got to be careful about leaving out the dash in F-4D on
rec.aviation.military.naval, or they'll think you're talking about _their_
F4D, the Douglas Skyray aka the Ford;-)

snip

Re the capabilities of the F-4D radar, O'Brien, in his book "The Hungry
Tigers", says that the F-4D's radar (he flew them at Phu Cat in the
12thTFW) just wasn't in the same league (for an interceptor) as the F-106's
MA-1, as far as ECCM modes. He may have been referring to all the IR/Radar
options, but I got the impression he meant the actual ECCM circuitry. Have
you ever heard any similar comments from other ADC guys?
Guy

Guy, O'Brien's correct as to the ECCM. The 102 was better against ECM
than the F4-D. (Not the Ford; the Deuce was way better than that little
delta wing, including in ACM, fairly easily outflying it.)
The 6 had some really cute tricks including deceptive non-IR ECCM
modes. The Phantom seemed to depend on brute power for a 'burn-through'
to see the target despite ECM 'cloaking'. Also I don't know what was
built into the Sparrows but that giant 'spotlight' CW illuminator must
have tested pretty good against ECM or the USN would have added some
more tricks to protect their precious CVs. FWIW I went through ADC's
Interceptor Weapons School (including the IRSTS) in 1963 and got a
pretty good idea of what the 6's new ECCM mods were. As for the
Phantom, our Ds could pick up the KC135s at 75+ over the Thailand
hills. An F4J pilot with me one night (we were SEAD/escorting AC130
gunships) was amazed to see that. I asked him "Aren't your Js that
good?" He replied "Not after 3 or 4 carrier landings . . ." The Zipper
was so simple that the new ECM mods (multiple target, range gate
stealer, angle deception) didn't affect it. Noise just aided the Zipper
as the max range on the 104A's scope was only 20 miles. Get a big blob
of noise, center it on the scope, go 2.0 and see what was making the
jamming . . .
Walt BJ

Old October 12th 05, 11:51 AM
Jim

John Carrier wrote:

Last fighter cruise was Sep 75 through Mar 76, VF-191 and 194 on Oriskany.
F-8J's. We had a simple intercept doctrine: "Give us a talley-ho."

R / John

Were you with one of those squadrons at that time?

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Founder: RAMN (rec.aviation.military.naval)

Old October 12th 05, 08:49 PM
Jim

John Carrier wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

John Carrier wrote:

Last fighter cruise was Sep 75 through Mar 76, VF-191 and 194 on
Oriskany. F-8J's. We had a simple intercept doctrine: "Give us a
talley-ho."

R / John

Were you with one of those squadrons at that time?

VF-191

Which side of the tower did you pass by during the 500ft (MSL) S-N
flyby? Or might you have been the one to pass below the tower and
between crash crew building?

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Founder: RAMN (rec.aviation.military.naval)

"zero" versus "oscar" versus "sierra" Ron Garret Piloting 30 December 20th 04 08:49 AM
S-Tec System 20/30 Versus System 40/50 Marco Leon Piloting 3 November 9th 04 04:15 PM
Buying a plane versus renting RD Owning 35 March 5th 04 09:42 PM
Garmin versus Lowrance RD Piloting 15 January 2nd 04 04:32 PM
Cessna 340 Tie down versus Hangar endre Owning 11 July 17th 03 01:49 AM