A-6 crash after launch?

Old May 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default A-6 crash after launch?

Charlie Wolf wrote:

The aircraft was partially
filled with salt water but the R1820's just kept on chuggin'.
Aircraft was put in the hanger bay for maintainers to dry out, which
was only partially successful. Corrosion set in (duh!!!) and the A/C
never flew again.

Now I'm wondering why the cleaning work was not done properly. Shurely
rinsing out the a/c would have been cheaper than replacing it.

Joachim
Old May 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Charlie Wolf wrote:
On 28 May 2006 21:50:35 -0700, "Mike Weeks" wrote:

Yofuri wrote:
Allen wrote:
In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

The skipping of the P-1 designation in the 1962 Joint designation scheme
was most likely due to the fact that it was convenient to redesignate the
P2V, P3V, P4Y, and P5M to P-2, P-3, P-4, and P-5, respectively. 28. Similar
to note 27, the S-1 designation was most likely skipped out of the
convenience of renaming the S2F to S-2 and continuing from there.

Bob Moore
S-2F NAS Kingsville 1959

Accck of course I meant C-1

Pugs

The MAD boom in the tail makes that photo an S-2.

As do the tail markings, if I saw them correctly; "NS" (CVSG-53 -
which didn't operate from Tico until the 1970s.). That's either VS-21,
-29, or -35.

Mike - see my other post below. I am almost certain that it was VS-38
which would have been CVSG-59 (I think) I was in the squadron at the
time, but this goes back many years and many flight hours ago for me
(and many brain cells destroyed) - I could be mistaken.

Glad you posted Charlie; based on what you've stated and reviewing the
video snip again, that indeed could be "NT", and not "NS" on the S-2's
tail. I just wish we knew the date of the deck launch (or at least the
specific period.) Once Tico became the only ASW deck, then it got
really hairly attempting to determine assignments.

BTW, for anyone; why a deck launch in the first place? Was it part of
CQing since the S-2/C-1 "could" deck launch? You can't help but notice
that long straight white line painted down Tico's deck ...

MW

Old May 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Tue, 30 May 2006 21:31:56 +0200, Joachim Schmid
wrote:

Charlie Wolf wrote:

The aircraft was partially
filled with salt water but the R1820's just kept on chuggin'.
Aircraft was put in the hanger bay for maintainers to dry out, which
was only partially successful. Corrosion set in (duh!!!) and the A/C
never flew again.

Now I'm wondering why the cleaning work was not done properly. Shurely
rinsing out the a/c would have been cheaper than replacing it.

This occured back in the very early 1970's time frame. It would have
been the same thing as recovering an aircraft from a brief sinking in
slat water. The corrosion control problem on this A/C was just beyond
the "control" part....
Regards,

Joachim

Old May 30th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Joachim Schmid wrote:
Charlie Wolf wrote:

The aircraft was partially
filled with salt water but the R1820's just kept on chuggin'.
Aircraft was put in the hanger bay for maintainers to dry out, which
was only partially successful. Corrosion set in (duh!!!) and the A/C
never flew again.

Now I'm wondering why the cleaning work was not done properly. Shurely
rinsing out the a/c would have been cheaper than replacing it.

Given the general period of this event, it might well have been to the
fact that the S-2 was in it's last year(s), to be replaced by the S-3.
It very well might not have even been replaced.

MW

Old May 31st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On 30 May 2006 13:22:21 -0700, "Mike Weeks" wrote:

Charlie Wolf wrote:
On 28 May 2006 21:50:35 -0700, "Mike Weeks" wrote:

Yofuri wrote:
Allen wrote:
In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

[...]

Mike - Well, as I said before ... you guys are really taxing these old
salt water soaked brains cells ( with a little beer mixed in too).

I SEEM to recall that it was a CQ period and it was an expeditious way
to get A/C on and off the decks. If you watch the video closely, you
will see that that the bow seems to dip down "off-cycle" to the wave
patterns. The Yellow Shirt (Flight Deck Off.???) who was signaling
the aircraft to release breaks and take off was supposed to be trying
to time the release with the up and down moment of the ship.
Essentially, when the bow is heading down, release the A/C for roll
out. In this case, the ships bow only went up about half way, then
back down into the trough of a huge wave.

OK - I have to stop now ... I'm getting a headache trying to remember
all these details.....
Regards,

MW

Old May 31st 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Charlie Wolf wrote:

OK - I have to stop now ... I'm getting a headache trying to remember
all these details.....

Roger that, Charlie.

Old July 31st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Wow, sounds like a great book. If you get a chance, is there an item
there about an Intruder crash in South Dakota (I think in the 80s).
Trying to find a copy, but appreciate any info you have.

Lyndon

On Sat, 27 May 2006 11:06:25 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

INTRUDER: THE OPERATIONAL HISTORY OF GRUMMAN'S A-6

Old July 31st 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike Kanze

INTRUDER: THE OPERATIONAL HISTORY OF GRUMMAN'S A-6

An excellent book, probably the most complete compilation to date of Intruder history, lore, factoids, sea stories, etc.

Intruder crash in South Dakota (I think in the 80s).

A VA-176 A-6E (Buno 154140) pranged at the farm of the B/N's brother near Flandreau, SD on May 10, 1985. Both crew died.

--
Mike Kanze

"The New Deal began, like the Salvation Army, by promising to save humanity. It ended, again like the Salvation Army, by running flop-houses and disturbing the peace."

- H. L. Mencken

Old August 1st 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Thanks. I worked on the A-6 for several years (west coast) and was
born and raised in SD so the info is appreciated.

Lyndon

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:03:39 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

INTRUDER: THE OPERATIONAL HISTORY OF GRUMMAN'S A-6

An excellent book, probably the most complete compilation to date of Intruder history, lore, factoids, sea stories, etc.

Intruder crash in South Dakota (I think in the 80s).

A VA-176 A-6E (Buno 154140) pranged at the farm of the B/N's brother near Flandreau, SD on May 10, 1985. Both crew died.

VQ-1's P4M-1Q crash off China - 1956 Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM