A340 Incident

Old December 19th 07, 07:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default A340 Incident - File 2 of 2 - RUNUP.JPG (1/1) - 1 attachment

KENG wrote in
:

Boy, that brings back memories. I got to sit in the back seat once
during a full burner run. Had a problem with the intercom at speed and
altitude. Ended up not being an intercom problem, but a UHF problem.
Still, it was a thrill to be there. THe thing I remember the most is
the bird rocking back and forth.

KenG
9th AMS/Comm Shop
Beale AFB 74-79

Glad it helps , my memories of engine runups are not nearly as exotic.
sitting on C-119s and C-124s when they did magchecks at the end of the
runway, bouncing in the seat watching the wings flap.

and once on a 757 when they did a full power run on one engine.
Scared the crap out of the wife, she wanted off that plane.

But glad to contribute...
Heres another from the slides, looks like it was shot the same
night.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NIGHT.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	20591
Old December 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default A340 Incident - File 2 of 2 - RUNUP.JPG (1/1) - File 1 of 3 - PARKED1.JPG (0/1)

Some more from the slides.

Old December 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default A340 Incident - File 2 of 2 - RUNUP.JPG (1/1) - File 1 of 3 - PARKED1.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARKED1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	20592
Old December 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default A340 Incident - File 2 of 2 - RUNUP.JPG (1/1) - File 2 of 3 - PARKED2.JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARKED2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	20593
Old December 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default A340 Incident - File 2 of 2 - RUNUP.JPG (1/1) - File 3 of 3 - HEADON.JPG (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEADON.JPG (306.5 KB, 46 views)
Old December 19th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
J.F.

Wow! I used to work in that building in the background.
That was the 513th FMS age hanger. That was back in 79 and 80. Good Ole
Moldyhole! Thanks for the memories!

J.F.
"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...

Old December 20th 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
jc[_4_]

Default A340 Incident

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:48:24 -0600, "Eric" wrote:

If you want teeth rattling and the feeling that your heart is going to
vibrate though your chest, you should try a B-52G with all 8 burning water
(water injection for the uninitiated).

I never got to work on the SR-71, but their power runs were always awesome.
Your teeth rattled from a 1/2 mile away.

Well, I got 1/2 that with the old 707 water wagons. They phased them out just
as I started working at LAX. I wasn't sad to see the 707's go away, they were a
pain in the arse to work on... dirty, nasty and patches on top of patches.
Built like the proverbial brick outhouse and nearly bulletproof but I much
preferred working on the L-10's and 747's.

One of the worst jarring's I ever got was during a 767 engine runup. I was on
the headset, leaning against the fuse by the nose gear, half asleep. There was
an LST (Lead Systems Technician... a super trouble-shooter, as it were) and a
couple of mech's in the cockpit. #2 was already running and they were just
starting to spin #1 up when the N1 rotor simply froze. The wing and engine
flapped like a bird, the nose jumped a full 2 feet to the right and I amost got
dumped on my backside (it was 6 AM and I'd been there all night). I don't know
what the N1 %RPM was, I know it was low but still, I couldn't see individual
blades. I'd guess maybe 10% or so.

I'd never seen (or felt!) anything like it and just automatically assumed it was
an engine change, since we were working on the ETOPS program at the time
(Extended over water flight with a twin engine) and every time the airplane
farted, they changed something. I was pretty excited (not to mention wide
awake) and asked the LST what the hell had happened but he just asked if the
disk was turning now (it was, rotating slowly in the wind) and when I said yes,
he just started it up like nothing had happened. I was pretty well floored,
since even a compressor stall was cause for an engine change.

I talked to him later and he said "Oh, they do that now and then, the blades get
caught up in the sound baffle material." (which was a micarta stuff that got
chewed up as the blades grew). Basically, he just blew it off. Funny, I'd
never heard of it nor seen it, before or after. Take into account I'd just been
recalled after a 5 year lay off and a couple of years in Saudi Arabia and I'd
only just started working on the 767's. Still, it rattled me, certainly more
than the LST, anyway. The other guys said they'd never seen it before, either.
Oh well. The airplane flew off on it's morning flight and made it to London
without incident. Weird stuff, it was.
Cheers,
jc
Old December 20th 07, 03:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"J.F." wrote in

Wow! I used to work in that building in the background.
That was the 513th FMS age hanger. That was back in 79 and 80. Good
Ole Moldyhole! Thanks for the memories!

J.F.
"

Glad to be of some help. as you can see the photo had some decoding
errors in it. got a couple of more , but the decoding errors in those
make them unuseable, thats how old those photos are.
got them back in the early days before the internet was mainstream,
had to use a manual UUE decoding program..
Old May 13th 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Sean Gee

Asp Explorer wrote:
With some attention, you'll see is a little scratch on the painting.

Peavey_HP_Signature_Guy a écrit :
Incident?!?!

"K&FKeam" wrote in message

You may have seen this already. I have several others if interested.

ASP Explorer... thats not an old Elite ship you are referring to is it?