New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Old December 30th 03, 04:57 AM

Default New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Boeing won a $1 billion contract yesterday (12/29/03) to develop an
electronic attack version of the Super Hornet called the EA-18G. (from
Washington Post)

Old December 30th 03, 05:14 AM
fudog50

Any details on the contract? How about the SOW? I'd be interested to
see it, along with the milestones and when DT/OT/IOC is supposed to
take place.

Old December 30th 03, 05:31 AM
Yofuri

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

https://www.nalda.navy.mil/intern/Air31/EA18G.doc

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

r.com...

Old December 30th 03, 03:32 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"J" wrote:

"fudog50" wrote in message

"J" wrote:

Boeing won a $1 billion contract yesterday (12/29/03) to develop an
electronic attack version of the Super Hornet called the EA-18G. (from
Washington Post)

Any details on the contract? How about the SOW? I'd be interested to
see it, along with the milestones and when DT/OT/IOC is supposed to
take place.

Jezzz! I told you it came from the Washington Post. Go there and look it up
for yourself self, they are a major newspaper and they even have a web site.

Here you go, foodog. Red Rider was apparently having a bad day. Most
of us will post the URL of a news article we're discussing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec29.html

[Noting that sometimes, even with that day's hard copy of the
Washington Post in my hand, I've had trouble finding an article of
interest on the web site. Which is why I always look it up on the web
site before posting about it here. So that I can include the URL,
once I've managed to find it. ;-]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old December 30th 03, 11:39 PM
Andrew Toppan

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:31:01 -0800, "Yofuri" wrote:

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

EF-18G built and flying? According to who? The Navy apparently doesn't think
so, or they wouldn't have awarded a large contract to develop the aircraft.

F/A-18E/F is "built and flying". EF-18G has been under discussion and
preliminary development for some time, so the contract is no surprise.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old December 31st 03, 12:39 AM
fudog50

Unsat J,
Thanks to O.J for pasting the link, (which says absolutely
nothing about the questions I asked), so go "JEEZ" yourself for cryin
out loud! Do you even know what DT/OT and IOC are? I'll leave it at
that.
Yeah, there were some pictures of a "Growler" with jammer pods
floating around about 3 years ago, with CAG-3 and HST lettering on it.
We could never tell if it was a touched up photo or not. I was under
the impression it was just an F model with pods slung on it for photo
ops. We all knew it was pretty much a done deal. Lots of questions
remain about when and where the testing and eventually the home basing
will be. If Whidbey wants it, they better hurry up and build an engine
test cell that won't get melted by them GE 400's.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:44:05 GMT, "J" wrote:

Jezzz! I told you it came from the Washington Post. Go there and look it up
for yourself self, they are a major newspaper and they even have a web site.

.. .

Old December 31st 03, 12:45 AM
Allen Epps

In article , Andrew Toppan
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:31:01 -0800, "Yofuri" wrote:

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

EF-18G built and flying? According to who? The Navy apparently doesn't think
so, or they wouldn't have awarded a large contract to develop the aircraft.

F/A-18E/F is "built and flying". EF-18G has been under discussion and
preliminary development for some time, so the contract is no surprise.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,
Photo Features, Military FAQs, and more -
http://www.hazegray.org/

The F airframe has been fitted and flown with the the ALQ-99 pods which
will used as exiting as GFE or Government Furnished Equipment for the
project. The ESM pods on the wingtips have been flown and have gone
through extensive integration work. The simulator and avionics
integration work has been going on for at least 7 years as I flew the
sim in St Louis back in the 96 timeframe. It's evolved nicely and I
flew the more recent verion on a roadshow at Andrews last year. All in
all Boeing/Mcair as put a lot of their own money into this project
over the last little bit knowing the Navy would figure out the Prowler
was going to die much quicker than the projected. I would regard the
technology as low risk, the question will be more who gives up a slot
for E/F production if the Navy decides they want the airframes sooner
than 09.
The next issue is why keep them at Whidbey (except for airspace and
whole lot of other reasons not the least of which is Elk hunting and
steelhead fishing) ;^

Pugs
Old December 31st 03, 05:20 AM
Elmshoot

The next issue is why keep them at Whidbey (except for airspace and
whole lot of other reasons not the least of which is Elk hunting and
steelhead fishing) ;^

Ah I remember it well. The VAQ-35 Ops Rod and Gun club. The wind would be
howling snow flurries coming down at an 85 degree angle. These knuckel heads
would show up at work. Get the 75 minutes of work that they would spend all day
doing done in about 60 minutes. And then ask if they could go out and lay in a
freshly harvested corn field and wait for a duck to fly over.....
At least the squadron picknic later that month was interesting when the
bachelors would show up with a meat dish. The Wives Club girls from the big
city would be scarfing down huge quanities of duck or some other animal of the
wild until they learned the truth. I though one or two was going to puke on the
spot.

Back to the subject... What happens to the fly by wire jet when the master bad
is turned on? Can you say EMI?
Old December 31st 03, 07:19 AM
Yofuri

Shucks, I had forgotten we had snow here at Whidbey. Today is the first
snowfall in six years, and it's melting tonight.

No big EMI problem. The isolated power systems for the main bangers largely
keep it away from the aircraft's internal circuitry. The RATS eat the EMI,
in other words. I'm sure the gold-plated canopy will still be required,
though.

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is: