Was Bush AWOL in 1972 & 1973? | Cuckoo!!! Cuckoo!!! Cuckoo!!!

Old August 31st 04, 02:42 PM
Pechs1

Ronca- You appear to know very little about those things. BRBR

Trained ANG guys when in USAF exchange with 61st TFS and 13th TFTS. Flew
against the Conneticutt ANG, when they flew F-100s, Know many USN guys now
flying with ANG units all over the US.

Tell me how the ANG works then, for a young butter bar 'hired' by a guard unit?

ronca GWB served his country by joining the ANG and flying F-102s. That is a

fact. Those that think otherwise are simply ignorant. BRBR

be sure to vote then. Be ignorant of GWB, and be sure to rant and rave about
Kerry, regardless of what the 'facts' and documentation say.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 31st 04, 03:22 PM
Tex Houston

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Tex- Political considerations aside, the F-102s were in SEA for a period
of...gasp...ten years. BRBR

When did they go? When did they convert the F-102 to be able to carry a

gun pod
and Aim-9?

Or was it the F-106?

P. C. Chisholm

Started deploying in small detachments to SEA in April 1961, larger
detachments in 1964, first loss of 14 total was 27 November 1964. Since
they served primarily in the air defense role no weapons changes necessary
except no nuclear warheads. Biggest problem was providing a cobbled
together probe as the F-102 had no provision for air refueling.

The F-106 did not serve in SEA.

A www.google.com search using F-102 Southeast Asia returns 793 hits.

Tex Houston

Old August 31st 04, 04:32 PM
John S. Shinal

(Pechs1) wrote:

Agree but why not look at the specifics of the time and the people involved
instead of brushing this with such a wide swath?

I'm a little unclear on what you are asking here ? Interested,
though. Have you seen Dan Ford's site on Bush's F-102 career ? He has
focused on facts, and the presentation is pretty impressive .

Why did GWB join the F-102 guard instead of another type unit, the USAF or the
USN?

Why the F-102? Did have some love affair with the mission of flying intercepts
against big targets, letting loose a Genie and goin home? Did he know that of
all the A/C in the ANG and USAF inventory at the time, the F-102 was the least
likely to go to VN?

As I understand it from Ed Rasimus's post a month back, the
ANG didn't have a "dream sheet" per se that gave him a choice. So
since it was Texas ANG and they had Deuces, that's what George The 2nd
got trained for. Apparently later on he wasn't re-trained to another
type due to the glut of ACs that were senior and trying to stay in, so
a lot of less senior people got early "drops", much like Army Aviation
was doing. The length of the drop was notable, though - his was rather
larger than *I* have heard was typical. I don't know what stats there
are on the average length of drop people got when they were cut loose.

Old August 31st 04, 04:39 PM
John S. Shinal

(Pechs1) wrote:

be sure to rant and rave about
Kerry, regardless of what the 'facts' and documentation say.

Heck, I think most of the hoopla is just because of fuzzy
memories. In dire situations so much stuff is going on that people
remember different things in different order, etc. It even happens
with car wrecks - it appears to happen with combat actions, too. The
"resume padding" that intrigues me isn't the Silver Star award - the
descriptions of that seem pretty plausible to me - but I have to
wonder why the award was re-written three times, signed by a bigger
fish each time. Perhaps that's punching it up a little to get a big
shot like Lehman on the signature line. I don't pretend to understand
how that process works, it's just that it seems strange.

Voting record...that's something else. Both candidates have
done plenty to displease me. I hate choices like that.

Old August 31st 04, 04:51 PM
Pechs1

Thanks Tex. how many ANG F-102 units?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 31st 04, 04:53 PM
Pechs1

jshimal- The
"resume padding" that intrigues me isn't the Silver Star award - the
descriptions of that seem pretty plausible to me - but I have to
wonder why the award was re-written three times, signed by a bigger
fish each time. BRBR

It happens all the time. My MSN writeup, written by an O-6, was rewritten by
him twice and once by a RADM...still was downgraded to a NCM..XO of VX-4.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 31st 04, 04:56 PM
Pechs1

Last time...I was an educated, patriotic, healthy young man in the late 60s.
The USA was at war, I too wanted to serve my country via the military. Choosing
the 'national guard' just wasn't in my scan nor in the scan of anybody I knew.

I place GWB in the same catagory as those Naval Aviators that pulled strings to
stay on the east coast, making Med cruises during VN.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 31st 04, 05:22 PM
Tex Houston

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Thanks Tex. how many ANG F-102 units?
P. C. Chisholm

No complete squadrons for F-102 but individual ANG pilots served there in a
program called "Palace Chase". The ANG did send squadrons to SEA for
example Colorado, New York, Iowa and New Mexico furnished F-100 squadrons.
I don't want to get into the Guard and Reserve vs active duty argument but I
think you are wrong about their service. They fly modern (as modern as we
have) equipment, often serve in associate wings and even combined units.
Colorado has both an F-16 wing and a C-130 wing in their ANG.

Tex

Old August 31st 04, 06:56 PM
José Herculano

When did they go? When did they convert the F-102 to be able to carry a
gun pod
and Aim-9?

Or was it the F-106?

They carried the Falcon. Lost two F-102 to MiG-21 when they tried to play
with them. The F-106 never went, it was the mainstay of the ADC CONUS at the
time. As Ed Rasimus says often, the only two birds that didn't go where the
F-106 and the B-58. If the NVC started using bombers against the US or the
guys in the south, then more F-102 and/or F-104 would go.
_____________
José Herculano

Old August 31st 04, 08:31 PM
Leanne

"Tex Houston" wrote in message
I don't want to get into the Guard and Reserve vs active duty argument but

think you are wrong about their service. They fly modern (as modern as we
have) equipment, often serve in associate wings and even combined units.
Colorado has both an F-16 wing and a C-130 wing in their ANG.

The ANG of the Georgia Wing has a C-130 unit out of Savannah that is split
with half being in the Iran/Afghanistan theaters rotating on a continual
basis and has been for a couple years now. I think it was last week or the
week before that one group returned when they were replaced by the other
part of the squadron.

Leanne

Definitive Bush in the Guard -- AWOL WalterM140 Military Aviation 5 September 20th 04 10:42 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM