New York State Sales Tax (Aircraft) Info

Old September 16th 04, 08:17 PM
James Keane

Default New York State Sales Tax (Aircraft) Info

All,

I am about to purchase an aircraft that currently resides in CA. I am
planning to fly it back to NY and register it in New York. I
understand that there is a 4% sales tax on aircraft registered in New
York, due at the time of purchase.

Is anyone aware of any interesting loopholes to this sales tax law? I
understand that in some states, if the airplane resides in a state
outside of the new registration state for more than 90 days, the new
owner is exempt from sales tax.

Does anyone know if this is applicable to NY, or if there are any
other options I should be considering?

Thanks,
James
Old September 17th 04, 12:39 AM
Jim Carter

If you need somewhere to stash your new bird for 3 or 4 months, just drop it
by and leave me the keys. Arkansas is beautiful this time of year anyway;
you'd enjoy the trip.

--
Jim Carter
om...

Old September 17th 04, 02:28 AM
Mack

"James Keane" wrote in message
om...
All,

I am about to purchase an aircraft that currently resides in CA. I am
planning to fly it back to NY and register it in New York. I
understand that there is a 4% sales tax on aircraft registered in New
York, due at the time of purchase.

Is anyone aware of any interesting loopholes to this sales tax law? I
understand that in some states, if the airplane resides in a state
outside of the new registration state for more than 90 days, the new
owner is exempt from sales tax.

Does anyone know if this is applicable to NY, or if there are any
other options I should be considering?

Thanks,
James

==============
I can't help you with your problem James but I can forewarn you. The tax
people of NY. have a LONG memory.

I live in NY. bought a plane here and sent a check to the state for the
sales tax.. 18 YEARS later I was asked by the state to prove that I had paid
the sales tax. Fortunately my wife is a saver of important papers and found
the canceled check. We sent in a copy and heard no more about the tax..
Bill

Old September 17th 04, 03:58 AM
Bruce Gray

There is a statute of limitations beyond which they can't go. In Connecticut
it's 3 years, Federal is 3 years for errors and 7 years for fraud. I'm sure
NY has similar statutes. I would have laughed at the state asking me to
prove a tax payment 18 years in the past.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

t...

Old September 17th 04, 04:39 AM
Marco Leon

http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/20...ntials/p38.htm

I came across this interesting article on use taxes and sales taxes in New
York. While it does not mention aircraft purchases specifically, I would
imagine it would be covered under "goods and services."

Man, if NY really wanted to bust your chops, they can charge you use taxes
on all your internet purchases where you didn't pay a tax! Very interesting
read (for a New Yorker).

Marco

"Bruce Gray" wrote in message
There is a statute of limitations beyond which they can't go. In
Connecticut it's 3 years, Federal is 3 years for errors and 7 years for
fraud. I'm sure NY has similar statutes. I would have laughed at the state
asking me to prove a tax payment 18 years in the past.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

t...

Old September 17th 04, 07:25 AM
Brien K. Meehan

James Keane wrote:
Is anyone aware of any interesting loopholes to this sales tax law?

I'm not aware of New York's rules specifically, but I believe you can
avoid paying sales tax.

It might be worthwhile to check out an aviation tax advisor. I've used
Advocate Aircraft Taxation Company (http://www.advocatetax.com) with
good results. They're expensive, but thorough and time-saving. The
NBAA (http://www.nbaa.org) has a directory of members who provide
similar services.

Old September 17th 04, 11:49 AM
tom418

James, about a year after I purchased my Seneca, I received a bill from New
York state. I paid the regular state tax for my area (Long Island) of 8%,
plus interest. As far as "loopholes", when I called up the tax department
and explained that the
plane was purchased in Connecticut, the person explained that the tax
becomes due when the plane first lands in New York, regardless of how long
it resides out of state. So theoretically, you can live in Manhattan, and
keep the plane in Teterboro,
and never pay tax . This was in 1988, things may have changed.
When did this 4% tax rate take effect?

Old September 17th 04, 02:20 PM
Rosspilot

theoretically, you can live in Manhattan, and
keep the plane in Teterboro,
and never pay tax .

Best advice yet.

I live in NY, but keep plane in NJ and under the NJ "casual sale" law, I paid
no sales tax.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old September 17th 04, 05:23 PM
xyzzy

Marco Leon wrote:

http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/20...ntials/p38.htm

I came across this interesting article on use taxes and sales taxes in New
York. While it does not mention aircraft purchases specifically, I would
imagine it would be covered under "goods and services."

Man, if NY really wanted to bust your chops, they can charge you use taxes
on all your internet purchases where you didn't pay a tax! Very interesting
read (for a New Yorker).

Hell, most states are doing this already.

For example, NC:

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/use.html