Removal of KMA20, KX170B & KT76

Old September 17th 04, 05:02 PM
Roy Page

Default Removal of KMA20, KX170B & KT76

I want to remove the KMA20, Dual HX170B's and KT76 from their trays so that
I can easily clean up all the knobs faceplates etc.
What special tools do I need to remove them ? And ... Where can I purchase ?

Thanks in advance for the good response I know I will get.

Roy

Page
28291 Misty Morning Lane
Beloit, OH 44609
330 537 8677

http://www.g4dyr.com

Old September 17th 04, 06:03 PM
Javier Henderson

"Roy Page" writes:

I want to remove the KMA20, Dual HX170B's and KT76 from their trays so that
I can easily clean up all the knobs faceplates etc.
What special tools do I need to remove them ? And ... Where can I purchase ?

To remove the radios, just a 3/32" allen wrench, available in the
aircraft department at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, and other choice
tool houses.

Careful when you pull the radios, gently rock them side to side by the
edges, without pulling on the knobs.

If you want to disassemble further, proceed with caution. The front
panel assembly on the KX170's is a pain in the ass to put together
right if you mess up the numbered wheels, and --trust me on this one--
the springs are the same color as your hangar floor.

-jav
Old September 17th 04, 06:24 PM
Roy Smith

Javier Henderson wrote:
the springs are the same color as your hangar floor.

Which is why you should do this kind of stuff on the grass out behind
the hangar.
Old September 17th 04, 07:46 PM
Roy Page

Well thanks guys, I am off to my local aircraft store [Lowe's] to get the
special allen wrench recommended.
I shall be careful to work in the "rough" at the side of the fairway so that
I do not lose the springs :-)

Thanks Roy

ink.net...
?

Old September 17th 04, 08:23 PM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:02:45 GMT, "Roy Page"
wrote:

I want to remove the KMA20, Dual HX170B's and KT76 from their trays so that
I can easily clean up all the knobs faceplates etc.
What special tools do I need to remove them ? And ... Where can I purchase ?

Thanks in advance for the good response I know I will get.

It only takes an allen wrench to remove them. 1/16" as I recall.
(small hole in the bottom center or the front panel)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roy

Page
28291 Misty Morning Lane
Beloit, OH 44609
330 537 8677

http://www.g4dyr.com

Old September 18th 04, 07:32 PM

Oh, and be *careful* on the KX-170B. The allen screw only needs to turn about
1/4 turn on that thing. If you turn it more, you'll hear a "crunch" sound, which is
the wafer switch (and your wallet) getting smushed. Bottom line is don't force it
farther.

It really sucks, since some radioes need about 5-10 turns of the allen screw
to come out, and some (like the 170b) only 1/4 turn. I think that Bendix/King screwed
the pooch on that afterthought design. Most other things just come out without
problems.

-Cory

Roy
Page wrote:
: Well thanks guys, I am off to my local aircraft store [Lowe's] to get the
: special allen wrench recommended.
: I shall be careful to work in the "rough" at the side of the fairway so that
: I do not lose the springs :-)

: Thanks Roy

: "Roy Page" wrote in message
: ink.net...
: I want to remove the KMA20, Dual HX170B's and KT76 from their trays so that
: I can easily clean up all the knobs faceplates etc.
: What special tools do I need to remove them ? And ... Where can I purchase
: ?
:
: Thanks in advance for the good response I know I will get.
:
: Roy
:
: Page
: 28291 Misty Morning Lane
: Beloit, OH 44609
: 330 537 8677
:
:
http://www.g4dyr.com
:
:
:

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old September 19th 04, 01:22 AM
Roy Page

Well thanks guys for all the comments and *be careful* tips.
Being used to digital flip flop nav/coms, I have to say before I bought this
PA28-181, I thought KX170B's were so just antique j..k.
I have to say that the pair I have work really very well. They put out
really good audio and on the receive side they are quite sensitive.
So I am keeping them for a while, well don't tell the number two, but it
will get retired and the number one will sit in its tray, because the above
hole will be filled with a ............. you guessed it ............ shhh
..... GNS 430.

Thanks

Roy Page
Beloit, OH 44609

"Clay" wrote in message
om...
Don't forget the hacksaw, crowbar, and torch. lol

. ..

Old September 19th 04, 07:53 PM
PaulaJay1

In article . net, "Roy Page"
writes:

Well thanks guys for all the comments and *be careful* tips.
Being used to digital flip flop nav/coms, I have to say before I bought this
PA28-181, I thought KX170B's were so just antique j..k.
I have to say that the pair I have work really very well. They put out
really good audio and on the receive side they are quite sensitive.
So I am keeping them for a while, well don't tell the number two, but it
will get retired and the number one will sit in its tray, because the above
hole will be filled with a ............. you guessed it ............ shhh
.... GNS 430.

Thanks

Roy Page
Beloit, OH 44609

Roy,

Now replace the transponder with a 330 (for trafficv info) and and you'll have
the panel that I upgraded to in my 181.

Chuck
Old September 20th 04, 06:52 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Page wrote:
Well thanks guys for all the comments and *be careful* tips.
Being used to digital flip flop nav/coms, I have to say before I bought this
PA28-181, I thought KX170B's were so just antique j..k.
I have to say that the pair I have work really very well. They put out
really good audio and on the receive side they are quite sensitive.
So I am keeping them for a while, well don't tell the number two, but it
will get retired and the number one will sit in its tray, because the above
hole will be filled with a ............. you guessed it ............ shhh
.... GNS 430.

I'm no avionics expert, but back when I owned a couple of KX170Bs, the avionics
shop told me there were some things to be done to extend their life. Cleaning
and lubrication were involved, IIRC. After the treatment, the dials worked much
more smoothly, but I don't know whether the life was extended any. There were a
couple of engineering updates they put on, too, I think. I probably spent more
on them than they were worth, but what are airplanes for?