Hangar plans

Old October 28th 14, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch

Default Hangar plans

Does anyone recognize where this hangar is and who might be a contact for blueprints/plans for it?

http://fisincorporated.com/photos/Ha...ng%20wings.png

Thanks

Eric
Old October 28th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

A bit like the hangars at Bacchus Marsh, Victoria and Omarama, New Zealand.
But it appears to be Portmoak.
Jim
Old October 28th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Sorry, should be the glider is registered at Portmoak.
Jim
Old October 28th 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Farrow[_2_]

The ones in Bacchus Marsh were desingned by John Buchanan. If you contact me
off line I can forward contact details. Jeff.

Old October 28th 14, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

As good as the Omarama hangars are (and I know the builder),
there have been similar in design hangars at Boonah in Qld and Bathurst in

NSW (Australia) for well over twenty years.
Tom

t 04:43 28 October 2014, Jeff Farrow wrote:
The ones in Bacchus Marsh were desingned by John Buchanan. If you

contact
me
off line I can forward contact details. Jeff.

"Eric Foertsch" wrote in message
Does anyone recognize where this hangar is and who might be a contact

for

blueprints/plans for it?

http://fisincorporated.com/photos/Hangar%20-

%20Overlapping%20wings.png

Thanks

Eric

Old October 28th 14, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

At 02:38 28 October 2014, JS wrote:
A bit like the hangars at Bacchus Marsh, Victoria and Omarama, New

Zealand.
But it appears to be Portmoak.
Jim

It is the first of two such hangars at the Scottish Gliding Centre,
Portmoak. They own the design of this particular building.

Old October 28th 14, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I've always been puzzled why the carousel hangar for sailplanes never caught on. Bob Carlton designed a beautiful example that has been in operation for over 15 years at Moriarty, NM. It holds eight gliders on a set of rotating beams driven by a rope and capstan. It takes a 3 HP electric motor, and in a "worst case" scenario, (your glider is on spot #8 and #1 just pulled out), you have to hold the switch for 2 1/2 minutes to rotate all the way back around.

You never have to touch any other glider, there is no "hangar rash," only one door (and thus requires much less taxiway access) and the building required is smaller than the long, narrow designs with full width doors on both sides.

Bob tried to market plans, kits and full installations years ago, but nobody ever committed. Except for a few minor glitches due to operator error, it has been very reliable. There is pretty much always a waiting list, and some gliders have been in the hangar since day one.
Old October 28th 14, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:01:29 PM UTC, Mark628CA wrote:
[...]

The Scottish Gliding Centre considered the carousel concept but it simply doesn't make sense to build one unless there is a site limitation that allows only a small square shaped hangar and only 8 gliders needing to be housed..

The packing density is less than the the more conventional design, it relies on a large rotating mechanism, only one glider can be got out at a time, it is very inconvenient for fettling a glider in the hangar when the whole thing has to be moved around every time someone wants to get their glider out, it is awkward for handling cables and power points for battery charging etc in situ, and it is only suitable for a limited number of gliders (our hangars have 18 and 22 gliders and could have been built for any number over a minimum of 8 )

John Galloway
Old October 28th 14, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

John-

I hear what you are saying about your hangars. If you aren't constrained by access on both sides, a long hangar makes sense. The carousel works for us, but every situation is different.

Two points, though. Electrical power is provided at every beam, so there is no issue with dangling cables, as long as the users pay attention. Also, the density of gliders isn't that much different from the eight-glider hangar. Our building is 671 square meters and the hangar Eric referenced in his original post appears to be around 664 square meters. There is also considerable open space in three of the corners. (The fourth corner has the drive mechanism.) We have a lounge and toilet/shower in one corner and cabinets and lots of storage in the front corners. A Nimbus 2 can roll in and out of the 25 meter door, although it must have the outer wing panels removed for storage on the carousel.

The beams are arranged to hold a variety of 15, 17 and 18 meter gliders, and can take one up to 20 meter span.

As far as your other concerns, fitting a glider inside and only one at a time getting out, it simply has not been an issue. It requires no assistance to get a glider in or out, and even on busy days, the hangar can be emptied in 15 minutes or less. Rarely are more than a couple of pilots ready at the same time, as I am sure you have noticed.
Old October 28th 14, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Very simple buildings. The one at my home (Sunflower Gliderport, Hutchinson, KS) was put up in 1974. Ours is simple pipe trusses, two vertical columns as shown in the drawing, with X bracing, with simple horizontal pipe lower member of the truss (not the more complex, larger beams in the later photo). We have since added removable cables that go from the end of the truss down to the ground, to keep the building from twisting in the wind and letting the doors flop into the hangar. We also added pipes sticking down from the upper door track, at roughly 1/3rd of a door length apart so that if a cable fails and the building twists, the door will still be captured by two of those pipes.

The doors are on two tracks (there are "inside" and "outside" doors). A 4 inch, heavy "C" channel anchored to the ground. The top door guide is a simple pin in a guide track. Any door (except the end ones which, of course, can only roll toward teh center and then back) can be pushed either direction, until you run out of space. Max opening on our 200 foot long hangar is about 90 feet.

Our building is 200 feet long, and I think 40 feet wide. A little more width wouldn't hurt, as it would be tough to put a plane like a Duo or an Arcus in, due to its longer fuselage and interfrence with the wing of the plane on the other side of the hangar. Between 45 and 50 would be better. Our door panels are 21 feet long, with one foot of overlap to the adjacent door for keeping the wind and rain mostly out. I think our building is sothing like 14 foot high doors (more than is needed, but sized to clear a Cessna 310 with a flat nose strut, I believe).

If you have access from both sides, it is probably the cheapest way to get into a big hangar that can hold a lot of planes! If you would like some detailed pictures of our hangar, let me know and I can get them this weekend.

Steve Leonard