High-Altitude Torpedo Launch

Old June 14th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default High-Altitude Torpedo Launch

The Navy has awarded LockMart a contract to demonstrate the release
of Mk-54 torpedoes from high altitudes and long standoff ranges. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Navy...apability.html

The article mentions the possible future use of Mk-54 against surface
targets with this system, but would the Mk-54 (which has the Mk-46's
96lb warhead, and no under-the-keel detonation capability) really be
useful in that role?

Or is the Navy really worried about Sub-launched SAM's?

Old June 14th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On 14 Jun 2006 14:06:20 -0700, wrote:

The Navy has awarded LockMart a contract to demonstrate the release
of Mk-54 torpedoes from high altitudes and long standoff ranges. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Navy...apability.html

The article mentions the possible future use of Mk-54 against surface
targets with this system, but would the Mk-54 (which has the Mk-46's
96lb warhead, and no under-the-keel detonation capability) really be
useful in that role?

Or is the Navy really worried about Sub-launched SAM's?

The answer to both questions is probably "yes."

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão
Old June 15th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

wrote:
The Navy has awarded LockMart a contract to demonstrate the release
of Mk-54 torpedoes from high altitudes and long standoff ranges. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Navy...apability.html

The article mentions the possible future use of Mk-54 against surface
targets with this system, but would the Mk-54 (which has the Mk-46's
96lb warhead, and no under-the-keel detonation capability) really be
useful in that role?

Or is the Navy really worried about Sub-launched SAM's?

Just picking nits here, but I thought that Mk. 54 had the Mk. 50's
100lb shaped-charge warhead on the Mk. 46 propulsion system, not just
the Mk. 50 seeker. I could be wrong, though.

In any case, the question of how useful it would be against surface
targets is still valid. It'd wreck an FAC, and probably glug most
corvettes, too. Against anything much bigger, though, I'm somewhat
skeptical. Better than nothing, sure, but not as good as Harpoon or
Penguin. The advantage might be reduced chances of intercept (UDAV-1 is
the only deployed active anti-torpedo system that I know of, and it's
pretty suspect), and possibly the ability to attack surface targets
from platforms that can't fire Harpoon or Penguin. I suppose this might
give VLASROC a surface mode, too, but that's not too useful in any
case, since all the VLASROC platforms carry SM-2 anyway.

Old June 15th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On 15 Jun 2006 09:47:26 GMT, Juergen Nieveler

Or is the Navy really worried about Sub-launched SAM's?

The answer to both questions is probably "yes."

Why? So far nobody has fielded a sub-launched SAM system, and given the
difficulties found in the experiments (mast mounted blowpipe, for
example), it's unlikely that anybody is going to try again in the near
future.

The question could be answered, "yet." Technology marches on.

Not only in the possible ability of the sub to engage an air target
but also in the P-3's ability to engage a submarine target without
resorting to low level tactics.

This means that the main reason might be quite mundane: safety of
flight. Operations at low altitude are a "thrill." The old S-2 was a
rather manueverable old bird, but horsing one around at 100' day (300'
night) was not for the faint of heart. That was particularly true on
a datum with a couple of other Stoofs and a Whistling **** Can or two.

The P-3 has a day limit of 200', but it's a MUCH larger aircraft that
is not so manueverable.

I've never flown a Viking, so I can't comment on its low level
handling.

Sometimes the ability to do something from a distance is a Good Thing
for multiple reasons.

Old June 15th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

In article .com,
"Kronoman" wrote:

Just picking nits here, but I thought that Mk. 54 had the Mk. 50's
100lb shaped-charge warhead on the Mk. 46 propulsion system, not just
the Mk. 50 seeker. I could be wrong, though.

That's both my recall and what Wikipedia says

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Old June 15th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:21:39 -0400, wrote:

[...]

S-3 had a "loiter" capablility that gave it a 450 knot "dash" speed
(in theory), and then could loiter on-station at around 150kts
comfortably. It was capable of slower speeds. I want to say approach
speed was around 110 to 112 KIAS. I was a back seater so my memory
isn't the best on this. With "barndoor" flaps, it was a good
low-level onstation platform.
Regards,

Old June 15th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Or is the Navy really worried about Sub-launched SAM's?

The answer to both questions is probably "yes."

Why? So far nobody has fielded a sub-launched SAM system, and given the
difficulties found in the experiments (mast mounted blowpipe, for
example), it's unlikely that anybody is going to try again in the near
future.

There used to be a photo of a purported SUBSAM in the sail of a Kilo.
Other units were rumored to have it. I doubt it would be all that
useful, but I wouldn't want to be two MAD runs into my attack and find
out we were wrong about whether or not the system exists.

The "mine"-type SAM as described by another poster is, in my opinion, a
viable alternative that fits neatly with a suite of other
countermeasures. While the helo is stuck in a dip, their acoustic
signatures are detectible for miles and this could be exploited. I
like the idea of a high-alt drop on an unalerted sub, but I cringe to
think of the IFF issues. A torp can't tell a cowboy from an indian.

v/r
Gordon
VS-31, HS-5, HSL-33, CTG 72.8 (Diego Garcia ASWOC), COMASWWINGPAC plus
a couple other ASW units

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

If you go to:

http://www.house.gov/hasc/testimony/...n-amerault.htm

and scroll down to the "Mine and Undersea Warfare" section, you'll get
to this part:

"The MK54 torpedo integrates the proven technologies of the MK46
propulsion system and warhead with the MK50 sonar. State-of-the-art
digital signal processing based on COTS technology will improve
effectiveness and maintainability, and reduce costs. Due to arrive to
the fleet in 2003, the MK54 will replace the older MK46 torpedo with a
far superior, upgradable ASW weapon capable of countering all threats. "

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???) Andre Home Built 68 July 11th 03 11:59 PM