Spaceship One Question

Old November 12th 05, 12:18 AM
Jim Carriere

Default Spaceship One Question

I was at the Smithsonian Museum (the Air and Space one in Washingtion
D.C.) last weekend, where Spaceship One hangs in the lobby. Does
anybody know why there is a dent in the bottom of the fuselage, very
close to the back? I wonder if I missed something in the press releases
or other coverage. There are bits of online literature that acknowledge
but don't explain the dent.

Great museum, by the way, both of them in fact (the other one is close
to Dulles airport). I'm preaching to the choir here
Old November 12th 05, 12:46 AM
Tony Goetz

Jim Carriere wrote...
I was at the Smithsonian Museum (the Air and Space one in Washingtion
D.C.) last weekend, where Spaceship One hangs in the lobby. Does
anybody know why there is a dent in the bottom of the fuselage, very
close to the back? I wonder if I missed something in the press releases
or other coverage. There are bits of online literature that acknowledge
but don't explain the dent.

Great museum, by the way, both of them in fact (the other one is close
to Dulles airport). I'm preaching to the choir here

That's the result of the first space shot back in June of last year. Their
chief aerodynamicist (Jim Tighe - really cool guy, BTW) developed the
fairing to smooth out the flow going over the nozzle, and the June 21st
flight was the first to fly it. Apparently the loads on it were greater than
expected. I guess they figured it didn't hurt anything, because the X-prize
flights it still had the same dented fairing now sporting a Virgin Galactic
logo.

For those who don't know the fairing in question, here are two shots from
the Scaled website. One without the fairing, and one with the dented fairing
while gliding down from the June flight.
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...16_from_ex_800
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero...P21jun04_2_047

-Tony Goetz

Old November 15th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 2005-11-11 19:18:51 -0500, Jim Carriere said:

I was at the Smithsonian Museum (the Air and Space one in Washingtion
D.C.) last weekend, where Spaceship One hangs in the lobby. Does
anybody know why there is a dent in the bottom of the fuselage, very
close to the back? I wonder if I missed something in the press
releases or other coverage. There are bits of online literature that
acknowledge but don't explain the dent.

Here's the deal, Jim.

As the ship came down from space on the initial (June 04) space flight,
piloted by Mike Melvill, it was joined by mid-chase plane, Bob
Scherer's Starship.

If you look at the photos taken then you can see the dent. The pool
photog on the chase plane, Jim Campbell, was actually the first one to
call out the dent. Melvill correlated it with a sound he'd heard, but
that may or may not have been related.

That tailcone material is a non-structural aerodynamic fairing. This
was the first flight it was on -- the Dec. 17th first powered flight,
flown by Brian Binnie, for instance, had a bare rocket nozzle back
there. Anyway, during the flight, the high temps while under power had
weakened the tailcone fairing, and then the aerodynamic forces in the
shuttlecock (or "carefree recovery") mode had caused it to kind of dish
in.

The techs were able to heat it and pop it back out. For the X-1 and X-2
flights they had made a stronger one (I think by strengthening the
original with more material, but I'm not sure).

When the NASM asked for the plane, they wanted it "exactly as on the
first space flight," and that's what Rutan and Allen promised. There
were a few things that had changed on the spacecraft and they were
changed back. What they didn't expect was for the techs to take the
fairing, get out the whole set of pictures, and heat it up to put that
dent back in it. This supposedly completely surprised Rutan and also
the Smithsonian team that was to accept the spacecraft.

Great museum, by the way, both of them in fact (the other one is close
to Dulles airport). I'm preaching to the choir here

Yeah. The original plan for the Udvar-Hazy annex at Dulles had tiedowns
for fly-in customers. Washington paranoia & insecurity put paid to that
before it got started.

The staff and volunteers at the Museum (U-H and on the Mall) are
wonderful folks.

cheers

-=K=-

Rule #1: Don't hit anything big.

Old November 20th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Kevin O'Brien wrote:
Here's the deal, Jim.

snip

Thanks! This will be one of those historic footnotes that will also be
a great anecdote. Hopefully the museum tour guides know it fifty years
from now.

Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
SpaceShip One - No Pressure Suit? Carl Orton Owning 9 June 27th 04 10:07 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM