Help us with this petition for security on anti-collision systems

Old May 22nd 15, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Help us with this petition for security on anti-collision systems

Hi,
we recently launched a petition against Flarm decision to encrypt their communication protocols.

Although Flarm have the majority of the market for anti-collision systems there are others vendors and we think that monopolies are not a good things in any market and more important security comes first.

For this reasons we invite you to subscribe our campaign.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-urs-roth...ation-protocol

Thank you so much!
Sergio
Old May 22nd 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hasn't this argument been done to death already? Flarm get to protect their intellectual property rights and gliders pilots get mutual interoperability between glider to glider collision warning units. Third party hardware makers get to include and sell Flarm capability in their own instruments. Geeks get to complain about monopoly and conspiracy. Everyone's a winner.
Old May 22nd 15, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 10:30 22 May 2015, wrote:
Hi,
we recently launched a petition against Flarm decision to encrypt their
communication protocols.

Although Flarm have the majority of the market for anti-collision systems
there are others vendors and we think that monopolies are not a good

things
in any market and more important security comes first.

For this reasons we invite you to subscribe our campaign.

https://www..communication-protocol

Thank you so much!
Sergio

Do you have any connection with DSX?

As far as I know they are the only equipment manufacturer offering a Flarm
?compatible? instrument that does not use integrated Flarm (tm) Firmware.

Old May 22nd 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's not a question of being a geek or having any connection with DSX.

The real issue here is that FAI rules should be that you need an anti-collision system instead of oblising the pilots in competition to use one specific brand. They should define a common protocol so anyone interested can develop its own product.

A valid example is for the flight recorders. You do not need to buy a flight recorder of a specific brand. There is a standard format (IGC) defined by the authorities.

For sure I do not like monopolies....
Old May 22nd 15, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Am Freitag, 22. Mai 2015 14:00:04 UTC+2 schrieb Tim Newport-Peace:
At 10:30 22 May 2015, wrote:
Hi,
we recently launched a petition against Flarm decision to encrypt their
communication protocols.

Although Flarm have the majority of the market for anti-collision systems
there are others vendors and we think that monopolies are not a good

things
in any market and more important security comes first.

For this reasons we invite you to subscribe our campaign.

https://www..communication-protocol

Thank you so much!
Sergio

Do you have any connection with DSX?

As far as I know they are the only equipment manufacturer offering a Flarm
?compatible? instrument that does not use integrated Flarm (tm) Firmware.

The new encryption of Flarm is a result of the OGN activity which more or less pirated the existing protocol, as well as the existing FlarmNet database without asking for permission.
OGN then put all tracked gliders with their real ID onto a public website map.

While in France people generally like that, a fair number of pilots in Germany were upset by the fact that their real-time tracks were visible on a public map without having been asked. I myself don't want this to happen.

So the choice was simple - either a new encryption, or a large number of pilots simply switching off their Flarm. I am happy with the encryption.

Now OGN people are just ****ed off that they have to hack the protocol again.
Old May 22nd 15, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is a good point, however security should come first. I'm not a protocol expert at all, but it would have made more sense to hide ID.
Old May 22nd 15, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 10:30 22 May 2015, wrote:
[...]

Wrong in many ways. Earlier releases of Flarm were time-bombed long before
OGN came into being.

There has always been an opt-out.

While in France people generally like that, a fair number of pilots in
Germany were upset by the fact that their real-time tracks were visible

on
a public map without having been asked. I myself don't want this to

happen.

The opt-out.

So the choice was simple - either a new encryption, or a large number of
pilots simply switching off their Flarm. I am happy with the encryption.

No. It was going to happen anyway.

Now OGN people are just ****ed off that they have to hack the protocol

Not ****ed off. OGN up and running on V6.
again.

Old May 22nd 15, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In any case I think that an important organization like IGC should define a protocol, taking in consideration the privacy issue.

Exactly like the IGC file format for the loggers. Nobody contests the fact that every pilot that does competitions or records must have a certified logger. In a similar way every pilot in competition should have an anti-collision. It should not be obliged to buy a single brand like if we were in the Soviet Union
Old May 22nd 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 22 May 2015 14:50:22 UTC+2, Tango Whisky wrote:
The new encryption of Flarm is a result of the OGN activity which more or less pirated the existing protocol, as well as the existing FlarmNet database without asking for permission.
OGN then put all tracked gliders with their real ID onto a public website map.

- OGN don't use the FlarmNet database any more. They use their own database now.
- OGN honour the "no-tracking" flag in the FLARM version 6 protocol.
- If you want your details to be displayed on OGN you need to opt-in.
- If you don't want your details to be displayed anymore you can opt-out but there is no auto opt-in or the copying of your ID from other sources (like the FlarmNet DB).

Plenty of detail here http://wiki.glidernet.org/opt-in-opt-out

Now OGN people are just ****ed off that they have to hack the protocol again.

Geeks like the challenge - V6 already hacked.

It's nice to see that OGN are playing nicely now for those who prefer to keeo their identities secret.