Photo Request

Old December 6th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Photo Request

I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville from 1974 through 1977. There was a
display aircraft at the main gate that I believe was either an F-9 or
F-11. Myself, along with two other guys from NARF, were assigned to
paint the aircraft. We spent several days painting it in the Blue Angel
colors. I never took a photo of the airplane, but now wish I had. Does
anyone out there have a photo of this airplane that they can send me?

Thanks,

Smooth

Old December 10th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
TJ

I can't imagine the aicraft being scrapped. Surely it was passed onto a
museum etc?

Can you remember the bureau number or which 'Angel' number it carried?

Have a look at these and see if they jog your memory?

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/presf.htm

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/S...11/Stickm4.htm

http://www1.airliners.net/search/pho...nct_entry=true

Old December 10th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bob McKellar

"TJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't imagine the aicraft being scrapped. Surely it was passed onto a
museum etc?

Can you remember the bureau number or which 'Angel' number it carried?

Have a look at these and see if they jog your memory?

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/presf.htm

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/S...11/Stickm4.htm

http://www1.airliners.net/search/pho...nct_entry=true

Several points in general, not about that particular F11.

1. Old display aircraft, even historically significant ones, get scrapped
all the time.

2. Being painted as a Blue does not indicate BA service with any degree of
confidence. This is particularly true of F11's, since they didn't do much
of note during their service life other than fly for the Blues.

3. I was startled a while back to find our that Blue Angel aircraft are not
the latest and greatest, but are more likely those at the end of their
service life. Despite my starry-eyed view of the whole BA thing, this
makes a lot of sense. A lot of stuff can be worn out on an aircraft without
hurting its usability as a low altitude airshow performer. As long as the
basic structural strength is there, you don't need the fancy weapons and
avionics gear. All that is really required is a really good paint job. I
realized this when I got this link:

http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/S...18/969/969.htm

Bob McKellar

PS - Thanks for the plug!